Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Even Linus thinks Debian is hard to install

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
JN4OldSchool

Re: Linus

#101 Post by JN4OldSchool »

michaelwr wrote:
berts wrote:
michaelwr wrote:
Hard to believe someone with his technical expertise would look for the "easiest" to use Linux distro. I used Fedora 7 recently but became frustrated with it. SeLinux is annoying. It's overkill. And don't ask for help on Fedora forum. I had 17 year old teens with 2 month's of Linux experience offering me advice. Pathetic. I think (some distro's) it's a dumbing down thing.

Mike
With all due respect....
Some of those 17 year-olds could probably have told you how to turn SeLinux off :D

- Bert
I have nothing against 17 year olds, maybe I should have been more specific. It was his having only 2 months experience with Linux. I was asking a question regarding device permissions because Nero linux and gnomebaker wouldn't recognize my DVD. Nautilus cd/dvd creator worked just fine. Their solution was to install k3b. (which didn't work by the way). I wanted to have read and write permissions as user. No one had a solution for that. It was just try this, try that. Answering a question with a question. Fedora is very easy to install. I prefer something a little more challenging I guess. Because I have found the easier the distro is, the less knowledgeable (apparently) the users are.

M.
No offense, I guess we all have our perceptions, but isnt what you are saying here an oxymoron? You get stumped by a simply permissions problem, one which, BTW, would apply to any Linux distro, and instead of using google or searching the forum you rely on someone catering to your needs, but yet you say Fedora didnt challenge you and you need a harder distro like debian (which is as plain jane, mainstream Linux as it gets, no offense to debian as this is a good, great thing) to challenge your intellect? K3B works fine for me. In Gnome, KDE, Xfce, e17, and Fluxbox all in Fedora 7. Also in my installs of Ubuntu and etch. Maybe you should get out of your root account now and then when installing things? :wink:

I am leaving Fedora Forums because of what you are saying. Someone in here, in another thread, put it so well. In the effort to try to make idiotic questions and trolls welcome the powers that be want to gag the gurus who do have the answers. In consequence, questions are being answered by people who have no clue themselves. But instead of taking into account the fact that these forums are run by everyday people volunteering their time to at least TRY to help others, you instead bash a distro because of a few teenagers in a support forum? Then make a blanket statement about the intelligence of the three MILLION plus Fedora users because no one bothered to answer your question in the two or three hours you gave it the chance?

I am truly sorry you have the outlook you do. I think you may be missing out on several good distros because of it. But, if you are happy with debian then it doesnt matter anyway. But I hope that, despite the anger you are bound to feel towards me because of this post, you think about what I have said.

Bro.Tiag

#102 Post by Bro.Tiag »

JN4OldSchool wrote:Someone in here, in another thread, put it so well. In the effort to try to make idiotic questions and trolls welcome the powers that be want to gag the gurus who do have the answers. In consequence, questions are being answered by people who have no clue themselves.
I resemble that remark (no offense taken). I do answer a lot of questions not because I know the answer but because I want to learn more as well.

Cheers

JN4OldSchool

#103 Post by JN4OldSchool »

Bro.Tiag wrote:
JN4OldSchool wrote:Someone in here, in another thread, put it so well. In the effort to try to make idiotic questions and trolls welcome the powers that be want to gag the gurus who do have the answers. In consequence, questions are being answered by people who have no clue themselves.
I resemble that remark (no offense taken). I do answer a lot of questions not because I know the answer but because I want to learn more as well.

Cheers
Haha, I am getting off on the right foot here :D

Ah, hey, none of us have all the answers, and there are usually many many ways to go about the same task. By all means participate and try to help. But also know your own limitations and dont get into a pissing war with another forum member while the poor OP is left hanging with no answer. You said the key words in "I want to learn more as well." Me too! I have refrained from answering any help questions in here so far, and probably will for a while. I have two running installs of etch, but admitidly Fedora was and is my main distro and I need to learn the "debian" way. Rickh's how to on getting started is awesome, I learned a lot. I am lurking, seeing how the usual problems are handled in here. I have nothing to prove, I just want to help too.

Bro.Tiag

#104 Post by Bro.Tiag »

JN4OldSchool wrote:
Bro.Tiag wrote:

Cheers
Haha, I am getting off on the right foot here :D

Ah, hey, none of us have all the answers, and there are usually many many ways to go about the same task. By all means participate and try to help. But also know your own limitations and dont get into a pissing war with another forum member while the poor OP is left hanging with no answer. You said the key words in "I want to learn more as well." Me too! I have refrained from answering any help questions in here so far, and probably will for a while. I have two running installs of etch, but admitidly Fedora was and is my main distro and I need to learn the "debian" way. Rickh's how to on getting started is awesome, I learned a lot. I am lurking, seeing how the usual problems are handled in here. I have nothing to prove, I just want to help too.
Welcome to Debian & the forums.

Cheers

rickh

#105 Post by rickh »

Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97