Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 3.1 DVD iso - HELP!

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Noeluylee

Debian 3.1 DVD iso - HELP!

#1 Post by Noeluylee »

I Downloaded the Debian 3.1 DVD image from debian.org. The file size should be 4.1gb right? after I downloaded, how come the size is just 373MB (dvd1) and 127MB (dvd2) isnt it too small for a dvd iso (image)? is this correct?

Also, has anyone can point me where can i get the debian 3.0 r6 dvd image? i cannot find it on the debian.org site. Thanks a lot.

Noel

anon

#2 Post by anon »

Most probably you're using something without large file support (application or filesystem) as in windows with a fat32 filesystem in which case you're sol or an old version of wget on linux where you can use curl instead.

jobezone

Re: Debian 3.1 DVD iso - HELP!

#3 Post by jobezone »

Noeluylee wrote:I Downloaded the Debian 3.1 DVD image from debian.org. The file size should be 4.1gb right? after I downloaded, how come the size is just 373MB (dvd1) and 127MB (dvd2) isnt it too small for a dvd iso (image)? is this correct?

Also, has anyone can point me where can i get the debian 3.0 r6 dvd image? i cannot find it on the debian.org site. Thanks a lot.

Noel
Do you have space on your disk for the 8.2 G from the 2 DVD's?

I could only find installation floppy disks at ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/Debian3.0r6/main/

The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

Noeluylee

#4 Post by Noeluylee »

Hi Anon - I now used Ubuntu 5.10 with gwget. 0.95. now it shows 2GB... is that correct? shouldnt it be 4GB? I used windows XP to download the 300MB hehehe.. now, im gonna use Ubuntu.

Hi Jobezone - Yes I still have space on my computer, /hda4 = 15.6GB /hda5 (fat32) = 14.6gb

Thanks a lot dudes... After I download this I have to wait till' 2nd week of dec before I can burn this to DVD, coz its still at united states, I just ordered it from my sister. Im at philippines now.

Currently, I dunno if I should proceed the download thru ubuntu with gwget coz it shows 2bg file size and not 4gb.

Please advice, if you have some other good alternatives :) for this matter.

Thanks a lot

anon

#5 Post by anon »

The dvds are 4.4 gig and 4.1 gig.
I'm not using ubuntu so I don't know if that's been fixed for lfs, but it is in debian sid (check the changelog), as I stated you can use curl instead. On the command line:
curl -O url
will download to the current directory named after the last part of the url. But as I also stated, the filesystem you're using (fat32) can't handle files that large (above 2 gig) so it won't work regardless of what app you're using.
Do you really need the dvd or could you settle for the installer (businesscard or netinst) and install the rest from there (or simply just purchase the dvd set).

Noeluylee

#6 Post by Noeluylee »

Hi Anon, thanks for the reply. Okay, I will try curl. :) I already have the netinstall but I want something that is complete from the cd. :)

Once again, thank you so much anon for your tips :)

Mr_Goth

#7 Post by Mr_Goth »

I use jigdo to download the Debian 3.01 1 &2 DVD's it was extremely fast!
...."Have you mooed today?"...