Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Blank screen after startx :( [SOLVED]

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
thamarok

Blank screen after startx :( [SOLVED]

#1 Post by thamarok »

Hello!

I just made a recompile of my kernel with the new nvidia driver (9625).
The compilation went fine and I was able to boot up my system.

After I installed nvidia-kernel (version 9625) and nvidia-glx (also 9625) I runned startx, but I just got a blank screen.

Then I downgraded nvidia-glx to 8776 to be able to bring KDE up in this older kernel (also recompiled).

Any advice?
I didn't try to install Compiz/XGL/Beryl whatever, just if you wanted to know.

Thanks!

thamarok

#2 Post by thamarok »

After some hacks and investigation, I found out that the eeprom module was conflicting with the new nvidia driver. So before startx, I did a rmmod eeprom and now everything works fine :)

I have GKrellM installed, and if I remember correctly, it needed the eeprom module to be loaded.. but GKrellM works fine here even without epprom loaded... A little confusing :?

gnu_labis

purpose of EEPROM

#3 Post by gnu_labis »

I just had the same problem and i'm going to remove eeprom

eeprom is useful to get some memory info from lm-sensors. Not loading it might tesult in less info from the userspace sensors (as in the case of GKrellM) but nothing really important. Temp info etc. is still provided through other kernel modules, depending on the underlying hardware.

Hope this one works, i want to try Compiz and I've read that it is only supported in the 9 series of nvidia drivers

thanx again :)

labis

Worked!

#4 Post by labis »

removing the eeprom module from the kernel works.

thamarok

#5 Post by thamarok »

Good to hear my solution works for others :)
If you want to remove eeprom completely from loading at startup, you can modify /etc/modules for that.

But I have figured out that even when removing eeprom at the start before startx, it gets loaded after the nvidia driver.

labis

#6 Post by labis »

Yes, I had it removed from /etc/modules in the first place. But I don't get the EEPROM module loaded later on. So probably its something else in your case that is pulling it in, not the nvidia driver.

thamarok

#7 Post by thamarok »

Do you have GKrellM installed?

moppi

#8 Post by moppi »

I have quite similar problem with X and NVIDIA. After 'startx' I just got a blank screen. I'm using debian testing with kernel 2.6.17-2-686. I tried to disable eeprom from /etc/modules as rmmod eeprom gives not found from /proc/modules.

The interesting thing is that if I install the latest NVIDIA drivers and start X without booting computer, it works fine. However, after boot it gives that blank screen. I've tried to remove every package consisiting of name nvidia with aptitude to avoid confilicts (for 2.6.17 there isn't binary package of nvidia drivers). But still X won't start.

Any suggestions and thanks in advance.

-Juho Pekka Vehviläinen

thamarok

#9 Post by thamarok »

It could be a badly configured installation of X. Try reconfiguring X and if you can, post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf here.

moppi

#10 Post by moppi »

Thanks for fast reply!

I figured out some kind of solution for this. Here http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71651 was described similar problem and I tried removing nvidia-glx from /etc/init.d as suggested and it helped.

I am not exactly sure what that script does, something with OpenGL I think. I didn't test, but removing that could disable the whole thing, however at least now it works and I can continue my research.

If someone knows better solution, please post it here as it seems that quite a few users have this same problem.

-Juho Pekka Vehviläinen
Last edited by moppi on 2006-11-22 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

Grifter

#11 Post by Grifter »

if you do lspci it should say which NV version it is on the card, I think the NV20 cards had problems with the latest driver, maybe that's the issue?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...