Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Enlightenment DR17

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
S1NGH

#31 Post by S1NGH »

mzilikazi wrote:
S1NGH wrote:hmm... just got debian installed and wanted to go ahead with the script to install e17 but nothing happens, could you please take a care to look at this?

Code: Select all

s1ngh@iNSANiTY-Debian:~/Desktop$ cd Desktop
s1ngh@iNSANiTY-Debian:~/Desktop$ cd e17
s1ngh@iNSANiTY-Debian:~/Desktop/e17$ chmod 755 easy_e17.sh
what do you think could be the problem?
You did not execute the script! :)

./easy_e17.sh
Better read the script first and see what it is about to do and where it intends to store everything pulled down from cvs.
I must warn you however that building e17 from scratch is not always an easy process. You will have to find and install ALOT of dependencies before it will build (all available through apt-get). Once you've gotten through the build process successfully your subsequent builds will be much easier.

My suggestion is to simply use the Debian repository for E17. It is always very close to cvs.
Hey thanks, looks like i havn't been awake lately, i have been installing Debian the whole night via NetInstall so i think i am just blown *comforting sigh*

well anyway, could you please guide me through this, as i have a clean install of Debian and nothing installed yet and want to get E17 up and running.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#32 Post by mzilikazi »

If you start E17 from command line e.g. no KDM or GDM or Entrance you must use.

startx /usr/bin/enlightenment_start
DO NOT use:

startx /usr/bin/enlightenment
Add the new repository (you can use the echo command as written below but if you have no newline at the end of sources.list it doesn't work. Of course you can simply use your favorite text editor to add the new repository):

$ su
# echo "deb http://www.edevelop.org/debian unstable main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
Install the new key:

# gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 03CA4243
# apt-key add /root/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
Update

# apt-get update
Install E17

# apt-get install e17 e17-extras emodules0-all
NOTE - Entrance is the E17 login manager but it sometimes get's...weird and certainly does not have all of the functionality of GDM. I use Entrance on my work machine where I am the only one that ever logs in. At home I use GDM so several people can have a desktop running at the same time.

hcgtv

#33 Post by hcgtv »

mzilikazi,

Are you running Sid or Etch?

I've thought of using the Edevelop repositories on Etch but didn't know if they would work. Beats spending all the time it takes to compile E17 from scratch every few days.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

S1NGH

#34 Post by S1NGH »

i think mzilikazi is on Etch because the above worked for me perfectly.

Thanks again mzilikazi, really appreciated.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#35 Post by mzilikazi »

Well I run Sid but as posted it works fine for Etch too.

garrincha

#36 Post by garrincha »

mzilikazi wrote:Well I run Sid but as posted it works fine for Etch too.
Are you saying that in order for me to install E17 in my Debian/Etch box, I need to add to my source.list:

deb http://www.edevelop.org/debian unstable main
Using 'unstable' (or 'sid'), or do I have to change it to 'testing' ('etch')?

Also, I'm not quite clear on this:

Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#37 Post by mzilikazi »

garrincha wrote:Are you saying that in order for me to install E17 in my Debian/Etch box, I need to add to my source.list:

deb http://www.edevelop.org/debian unstable main
Testing is there if you want to try it but it's rather old. If you want the latest greatest use the sid repo and add the line to sources.list as is.
Also, I'm not quite clear on this:

man apt-key
DESCRIPTION
       apt-key is used to manage the list of keys used by apt to authenticate
       packages. Packages which have been authenticated using these keys will
       be considered trusted.
If you like a GUI for apt-key you can do:

$ su
# apt-get install gui-apt-key
# gui-apt-key
It's in testing & unstable anyway.

hcgtv

#38 Post by hcgtv »

mzilikazi wrote:Well I run Sid but as posted it works fine for Etch too.
I'll have to give it a try then, thanks.

garrincha

#39 Post by garrincha »

[quote="mzilikazi"][/quote]

Thanks. I do have E16 installed. So I'll give this a try to get the E17.

Edit: I just installed E17 (on my old disk - the one I use to make and break). I have to say, "wow" is an understatement. E17 is indeed much better than E16. At first glance, E17 seems to be slightly "bloated" but it is not and it is quite fast amazingly.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#40 Post by mzilikazi »

garrincha wrote: E17 is indeed much better than E16. At first glance, E17 seems to be slightly "bloated" but it is not and it is quite fast amazingly.
Just keep a spare window manager around for those times when it suddenly goes alpha on you. ;)

garrincha

#41 Post by garrincha »

mzilikazi wrote:
garrincha wrote: E17 is indeed much better than E16. At first glance, E17 seems to be slightly "bloated" but it is not and it is quite fast amazingly.
Just keep a spare window manager around for those times when it suddenly goes alpha on you. ;)
Actually I installed E17 on the old second disk drive. In any case, I usually use fluxbox in my current linux box and occasionally E16. I'll just experiment with E17 though.

By the way, I'll check later but does the E17 allows for menu update/regeneration? I also have fluxbox installed in the same linux box as E17 but it is not showing my debian menu for example in E17.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#42 Post by mzilikazi »

garrincha wrote: By the way, I'll check later but does the E17 allows for menu update/regeneration? I also have fluxbox installed in the same linux box as E17 but it is not showing my debian menu for example in E17.
The Debian menu is supposed to work but my personal experience is that it does so only sometimes. Not sure why that happens. My solution was to simply put my most frequently used apps on the ibar, customize my menu and use the very excellent run dialog. Check it out!
ALT+ESC

S1NGH

#43 Post by S1NGH »

Alright, back again.

I got everything to work and i customized it to the way i wanted it to work and look, so i changed themes and login theme, so now i can't login with my normal account into enlightenment and i tried changing the environment to Gnome, but that too didn't help, although i can log in with root.

So it there a way i can reset the settings for enlightenment with my other user account? Right now i am locked out and only able to login with root with any environment whereas i can't with the other account.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#44 Post by mzilikazi »

S1NGH wrote:Alright, back again.

I got everything to work and i customized it to the way i wanted it to work and look, so i changed themes and login theme, so now i can't login with my normal account into enlightenment and i tried changing the environment to Gnome, but that too didn't help, although i can log in with root.

So it there a way i can reset the settings for enlightenment with my other user account? Right now i am locked out and only able to login with root with any environment whereas i can't with the other account.
What login manager? Try this:
Switch to a VT

CTRL+ALT+F1

/etc/init.d/gdm stop
Now su to your user

su <username>
Start E17 from command line:

startx /usr/bin/enlightenment_start
If you can start E17 this way then the problem must lie with your login manager.
If you're using Entrance I would suggest switching back to GDM or KDM or whatever you prefer.

S1NGH

#45 Post by S1NGH »

hey thanks again mzilikazi!

it worked but i had to also key in the following commands:

/etc/init.d/entrance stop
cheers!

garrincha

Re: Transparent terms & such for E17

#46 Post by garrincha »

mzilikazi wrote:You can use fake transparency in your terminals w/ esetroot but that's a bit of a hassle. Instead I like to use the Photo module to set the wallpaper which simutaneously sets the background for fake transparency.

apt-get install emodule0-photo
So, add the photo module to a shelf, configure it and set a wallpaper. Now fire up a terminal and set transparency to Yes. It should work. This also works for conky. Heres a screen.
mzilikazi, I couldn't get the transparency to work in rxvt-unicode and aterm terminal, using photo module in E17.

The transparency worked fine in fluxbox but in E17, all I got was a kind of gray pixel-like background similar to the X screen just before the session login manager come on. I assumed from your screenshot that you're using gnome terminal? I don't want to use gnome terminal as it is slightly bloated.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#47 Post by mzilikazi »

garrincha wrote:I assumed from your screenshot that you're using gnome terminal? I don't want to use gnome terminal as it is slightly bloated.
Nope that's xfce4-terminal. It's fast, has lots of features and isn't bloated. I configure my ephoto0-modules like so:
Right click the photo modules (after adding it to a shelf of course)
Configure Photo Module
Left click>Next picture
Middle click>Set as background

You must also feed some photos or wallpapers to the module.
Reload Picture Directories

Then just click w/ middle button on ephot0-module to set wallpaper. After the first time it should just work.

garrincha

#48 Post by garrincha »

mzilikazi wrote: Nope that's xfce4-terminal. It's fast, has lots of features and isn't bloated. I configure my ephoto0-modules like so:
Right click the photo modules (after adding it to a shelf of course)
Configure Photo Module
Left click>Next picture
Middle click>Set as background

You must also feed some photos or wallpapers to the module.
Reload Picture Directories

Then just click w/ middle button on ephot0-module to set wallpaper. After the first time it should just work.
Thanks mzilikaz. I could have swore that I did all of these steps last night when I was trying to make a transparent terminal in E17. I will check back later.

hcgtv

#49 Post by hcgtv »

The script I use to compile e17 just got updated:

https://omicron.homeip.net/?blog_id=44

Grab it here:

https://omicron.homeip.net/projects/#easy_e17.sh

I really like the new --update switch, just compiles what was changed in CVS.

What I've always liked about this script is that it keeps track of what has compiled in the current run. This way if dependency problem arises, you can go do an apt-get install and re-run the script and it picks up where it left off.

garrincha

#50 Post by garrincha »

I came across this article while googling, it is a really good article about the DR17/E17 Enlightenment window manager. It is from the May 2006 issue #66 of Linux Magazine. There is an instruction for installing DR17/E17 in Debian/Sid (from the soulmachine repository) in the box on page 2:

pdf file:

http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/66/ ... Review.pdf

Enjoy! 8)
Last edited by garrincha on 2007-01-02 19:33, edited 1 time in total.