Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

My setup for KDE on Etch

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

My setup for KDE on Etch

#1 Post by sunrat »

This is the recipe for my Debian Etch/KDE system.I've left out most meta packages and just selected the apps I actually use,but tried to keep utilities and enough to do basic compiles.
I've run it for 2months and Michael7 has for several weeks, and it's been rock solid.
Suggested improvements welcome.
Start from a netinstall. Select only "Base System", deselect "Desktop Environment" After CD is installed,remove CD ,allow computer to reboot and log in as root.

Code: Select all

# vi /etc/apt/sources.list   #Comment out the CD line

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade

Install X:
# apt-get install xorg xorg-dev mdetect read-edid

Install KDE and several essentials:
# apt-get install kde-core alsa-base alsa-utils synaptic kdm build-essential menu menu-xdg 

# reboot   #should boot to KDE login :)

Install apps and utilities (Swap shorewall to guarddog if you only need a basic firewall):
# apt-get install kdeaddons-kfile-plugins kdegraphics ttf-bitstream-vera konq-plugins kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kicker-applets ark bzip2 p7zip-full unzip unrar icedove firefox sudo gimp inkscape gqview gkrellm imagemagick quanta abiword kedit keep kaquarium kdf kdict kget knemo krename ksysv ktux kuser shorewall

Add one of these lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list file:
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
or
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main

Import the gpg key for mulimedia repository:
# gpg --keyserver hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 1F41B907
# gpg --armor --export 1F41B907 | apt-key add -

Install multimedia apps:
# apt-get install k3b cdrdao dvd+rw-tools kaffeine kaffeine-mozilla amarok xmms w32codecs flac libdvdcss2 ffmpeg mozplugger easytag kaudiocreator kmix

Optional: This installs a different kernel for AMD Athlon processor,and kernel headers.Adapt for your CPU/kernel. :
# apt-get install linux-image-2.6.18-3-k7 linux-headers-2.6.18-3-k7

If you don't install a new kernel and use the default installed kernel, you will still need the kernel headers before installing nvidia drivers.Use this command to install headers and find the right one at the same time:
#apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Install nvidia graphics driver - close X and run from console. download first from nvidia.com:
# sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8776-pkg1.run

Install java:
# apt-get install sun-java5-jre sun-java5-plugin

Install beautiful window theme etc.:
# apt-get install kwin-style-crystal crystalcursors kscreensaver-xsavers xscreensaver xscreensaver-gl

Favourite games:
# apt-get install torcs gl-117 kobodeluxe

michael7

#2 Post by michael7 »

sunrat shared this with me several weeks ago and I've been using it daily. I added cupsys and swat so that I could configure my printer with my browser (http://localhost:631), ktorrent, xine-ui and vlc, but otherwise, I running his configuration. It's lean, nimble and solid. Good work, sunrat. Thanks for posting it.
Live simply so that others may simply live.
Debian Social Contract

Mick_W

#3 Post by Mick_W »

Thank you Sunrat for the install how-to.
I was searching for a perfect install,and yours is as close as I've seen.
I like a small , useable system that I can build a few programs at a time.
This is my first post,and just wanted to give you a thanks for helping my etch net-install go very painlessly.
I wanted a basic KDE system to build from,and this was it.
It is also the fastest (KDE) desktop that I have ever run.
Thanks again.
Mick
Tried all the derivatives,now it's just Debian!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Thanks guys. I just love Debian and the ease of putting together a personal system that does exactly what you want and no more. I'm no expert but after tweaking a few installs, this is the result.
And it even surprised me how snappy and responsive it is! Who said KDE is slower?
Did a default KDE install last night to compare (use a recent daily netinstall CD, add install tasks=kde-desktop at the CD boot prompt).It picked up my new LG LCD monitor and nvidia FX5500, probably due to discover. Will investigate more - maybe install discover at same time as xorg. :?: 8)