Wireless Problems

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Wireless Problems

Postby jml » 2007-02-18 01:56

After reading many posts on this forum, I finally took a deep breath and blew off the Ubuntu installation on my laptop and did a net-install of Etch. Its been a while since I did a clean Dedian install, and I much congratulate the developers. It went flawlessly. Literally everything but one item was correctly configured! A big difference from Woody, and even Sarge.

The one problem area is wireless networking. First, here is a summary of my system:

HP nx 6110
768 megs of RAM
Integrated intel graphics
combination CD-RW/DVD optical drive
Built in Broadcom 802.11 b/g wireless card.
Built in Broadcom ethernet card

I also have a Cisco Aironet 802.11 a/b/g card which has the Atheros chipset which I have successfully used in Ubuntu, Mepis, Kanotix, and MintLinux. But not Etch

lspci seems to indicate the card is recognized: Here is an excerpt from the output.

"02:04.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)"

ifconfig does not show a wireless connection.

iwconfig reports no wireless extensions

I need to connect to a wireless network that uses WPA-PSK encryption. My install does have network manager set up, but when I try to configure either wireless card, (internal, and PCMCIA,) the working indicator just times out and defaults to a wired connection. If I disconect the wired connection, it just keeps on going without stopping.

I have gotten the Broadcom card to work with NDISWRAPPER in Mandriva 10.1but never with a Debian based distro. I have searched this forum without success. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.
jml

Postby swirling_vortex » 2007-02-19 18:20

Ehh, don't even bother with that network manager. The gnome devs messed it up somehow.

I'd use the one with the Atheros chipset as that's the best one supported. My instructions will follow setting up that.

First, you need an active net connection.

Now open up a terminal, log in as root, & type m-a prepare & then m-a a-i madwifi. This will set up the madwifi source packages for your Atheros card. If m-a doesn't work, then install module-assistant by apt and repeat the previous instructions.

http://www.chronox.de/x40_linux/linux_on_x40.html#configuring_the_wlan_card

Next, while still root, type modprobe ath_pci. Following the insturctions above, add this to /etc/modules

Code: Select all
alias ath0 ath_pci

Now, navigate to /etc/network/interfaces, add the following (may have to change things like the encryption key & router name):
Code: Select all
iface ath0 inet dhcp
                wireless_mode managed
                wlan_ng_authtype sharedkey
                # Enabling the WEP encryption
                wireless_enc on
                # The WEP key
                wireless_key xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
                # The WLAN Name
                wireless_essid WLANSSID

Do a reboot & everything should be up and running!
swirling_vortex

Postby jml » 2007-02-19 19:17

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it when I get home tonight.

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.
jml

Postby hellfire[bg] » 2007-02-19 22:26

As for the broadcom card - there is a nice howto (which deals with ndiswrapper too) here - http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=7949.
...to boldly go where no one has gone before...
hellfire[bg]

Postby jeiler » 2007-05-09 20:01

swirling_vortex wrote:Do a reboot & everything should be up and running!

Also worked great for me on etch. Thanks, Vortex. :D
jeiler

Return to System configuration