gnome 3.20.2 touchpad tap to click doesnt work

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

gnome 3.20.2 touchpad tap to click doesnt work

Postby Pakos » 2016-05-31 21:03

Hi, currently i'm on sid with gnome 3.20.2 and since few days i've noticed that my touchpad doesn't work correctly anymore. To be more specific tap to click doesn't work, everything else like scrolling works fine.

As far as i remember there was an option for that in mouse settings but right now i don't see it there (only 3 options left like primary button, speed and natural scrolling) so i went to gsettings and found out that org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad tap-to-click was set to false, however setting it to true doesn't fix it.

Using synclient (synclient TapButton1=1 TapButton2=3 TapButton3=2) helps but i'm curious why/what should handle it inside gnome because using synclient every reboot is just an workaround?
Pakos

Re: gnome 3.20.2 touchpad tap to click doesnt work

Postby pylkko » 2016-06-01 12:18

If you are running sid, you should be able to search for the other threads where this issue was discussed and learn from there.
pylkko

Postby Pakos » 2016-06-01 17:44

don't get me wrong but you think i didn't do that? So far found only some old threads or recent one regarding xfce. Maybe i'm using wrong search patterns so if you have seen anything just let me know where.
Pakos

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2016-06-01 18:20

Try installing xserver-xorg-input-libinput

See libinput(4) for configuration details.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Pakos » 2016-06-01 21:48

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Try installing xserver-xorg-input-libinput

See libinput(4) for configuration details.

thx, solved
Pakos

Postby canti » 2016-06-03 09:05

I have the same problem: non-corner tapping is suddenly disabled after an upgrade while other touchpad functions remain enabled. It seems that I have both xserver-xorg-input-libinput and xserver-xorg-input-synaptics installed. I don't know which driver I'm currently using. Will both drivers influence together in negative way?

The solution for @Pakos is configuring the libinput. Since I don't have highly developed computer skills and don't understand the man-page about configuring libinput, I would like to get a step-by-step instruction to get the tapping option enabled.

Other option would be to have patience and wait for another upgrade which will solve this problem. I know I'm using testing and can expect such unexpected behaviour. But it forces me to learn Debian better, and I like that.

Regards,
canti
HP Envy 17 n120nd containing Debian Bullseye (Gnome 3)
canti

Postby emariz » 2016-06-03 22:26

canti wrote:I have the same problem: non-corner tapping is suddenly disabled after an upgrade while other touchpad functions remain enabled. It seems that I have both xserver-xorg-input-libinput and xserver-xorg-input-synaptics installed. I don't know which driver I'm currently using. Will both drivers influence together in negative way?

As already stated, if you use Testing or Sid, you should be able to search for answers and try them.
The system logs will tell you which driver is in use. Remove it and let the system use the other. If it does not work as expected, do it conversely.
emariz

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2016-06-04 00:25

canti wrote:Since I don't have highly developed computer skills and don't understand the man-page about configuring libinput, I would like to get a step-by-step instruction to get the tapping option enabled.

You should read xorg.conf(5), this will explain how to use the configuration snippets provided in libinput(4)
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Desktop & Multimedia