apt-cache search nvidia-kernel-2.6.18-4-amd64 return zero

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Postby hcgtv » 2007-03-12 15:41

synan wrote:One thing you get with the nvidia driver is control over the fan speed :)

Cool, that's good to know, thanks.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard
hcgtv

Postby thamarok » 2007-03-12 15:46

synan wrote:I've a 6600GT, and it's fan can be quite noisy. One thing you get with the nvidia driver is control over the fan speed :)
I have a 7600GT and its fan can also be noisy.. So how do you control the fan speed? nvidia-settings doesn't seem to have such an option :?
Thanks!
thamarok

Postby synan » 2007-03-12 22:43

nvclock --help ;)
synan

Postby thamarok » 2007-03-13 15:50

synan wrote:nvclock --help ;)

Hehe.. you seem to be making fun of me :twisted:
thamarok

Postby synan » 2007-03-14 11:42

that wasn't my intention, really.
Just thought I'd teach you how to fish instead giving you one :)
synan

Postby thamarok » 2007-03-14 18:09

synan wrote:that wasn't my intention, really.
Just thought I'd teach you how to fish instead giving you one :)
Hehe.. I was just joking :)
thamarok

Postby Wheeler99 » 2007-04-11 19:16

Any news/updates on this issue? Me myself are trying to get the nvidia-kernel-2.6.18-4-amd64 and as stated earlier in this thread it can be downloaded as a deb package from, for example, http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/pool/no ... les-amd64/
and it should be possible to add that repo to sources.list, but as being half senile i cant even remember the proper syntax for adding it to the source list. :oops:
Wheeler99

Postby chealer » 2007-04-11 21:54

No.
chealer

Postby Iridos » 2007-04-19 23:07

daxwarf wrote:Loke:/usr/src# uname -a
Linux Loke 2.6.18-4-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Feb 21 18:12:05 UTC 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

From this link, I can download the file manually:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/x11/ ... 18-4-amd64

It's tricky, isn't it?

Actually no, it ain't :)

I think at least chealer understood the problem perfectly, but as far as I've seen nobody bothered to explain it so that everybody understands (sorry, if I just didn't see that post) - so I will have a go and try.

Your problem is, that you are using a 32-bit system (all user programs) with a 64-bit kernel and that the debian repository for your 32 bit system doesnt contain the nvidia-kernel package for your kernel.

In more detail:
There are two different repositories in Debian - one for a 64-bit system (all programs are compiled for a 64-bit computer) called amd64.
The package you found for the nvidia driver is in this repository.

The other repository is called i386 and contains packates with programs compiled for 32-bit computers. These also run on AMD-64 hardware. In this repository, there is a package for a 64-bit kernel: linux-image-2.6.18-4-amd64

Due to this package, you can run a 32-bit system, but still use a 64-bit kernel optimized for your processor. Unfortunately, this i386 repository does *not* also contain the packet containing the nvidia driver kernel module for this kernel.

When you tried to install the nvidia kernel module packet from the amd64 repository on your i386 system, this failed with the error message you reported:
package architecture (amd64) does not match system (i386)

If you want to use that package, you need to install a "true 64 bit" debian system from the amd64 repository.

Another option would be to install a 32-bit kernel, e.g. 2.6.18-4-k7. For this kernel, the packages nvidia-kernel-legacy-2.6.18-4-k7 and nvidia-kernel-2.6.18-4-k7 are available and should probably work fine (haven't tried that). Of course now you sacrifice using the kernel optimized for your processor.

What is even more vexing is the failure of the third (preferrable) option:
I have the same situation, as you have (64-bit kernel on 32-bit system and nvidia card) and I tried to compile the nvidia module from the nvidia-source package. To my dismay, this fails. As far as I could figure, it fails, because the compilation needs a 64-bit compiler (i.e. a 64-bit gcc with 64-bit libraries) to run.

Does anyone know if it is possible (and how it is done) to cross-compile the nvidia kernel module for the 64-bit kernel on a 32-bit i386 Debian system?

I.
Iridos

Postby Iridos » 2007-04-24 00:42

Wheeler99 wrote:Me myself are trying to get the nvidia-kernel-2.6.18-4-amd64 and as stated earlier in this thread it can be downloaded as a deb package from, for example, http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/pool/no ... les-amd64/

Well, thinking about that again, I wondered if it wouldnt really be possible to use the kernel-module from the amd64 distribution. After all the kernel we are using was compiled in this build environment with exactly the same options/parameters/whatever.

Well, you _can_ install this package (this is rightfully marked as DANGEROUS!):
-download the package
do
dpkg -i --force-architecture nvidia-glx_1.0.8776-4_amd64.deb
This will install the package, even though it is *not* for your distribution.
The module also loads without errors:
Code: Select all
# modprobe nvidia
#dmesg | tail -1
NVRM: loading NVIDIA Linux x86_64 Kernel Module  1.0-8776  Mon Oct 16 21:53:43 PDT 2006

of course one also needs the userland-binaries:
#apt-get install nvidia-glx

and must reconfigure the X server
#nvidia-xconfig

Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

#

And then......
...... the X server crashes on start up.

So I guess one would also need the 64-bit nvidia-glx to successfully communicate with the amd64 kernel module.
But this of course would also mean you need a 64-bit X server, because nvidia-glx contains the runtime-library which is loaded into X - AND you would also need all other runtime-libraries needed by X and nvidia-glx.
Well - now you would have already installed most of the amd64 distribution, so you could just as well go all the way and use that distribution :)

So basically this leaves you with the three options I already gave you:
- install a 32-bit kernel on your 32-bit system (this is probably preferred!)
- keep using the 'nv' driver, i.e. "live with it"
- erase your system and install debian for amd64

Take care,
I.
Iridos

duh

Postby Iridos » 2007-04-24 01:15

Doh - update
This *did* work - I finally decided to install 2.6.20-1-k7 and go with this, but it seems the softlinks to this were not set correctly - and after restarting the system, I still had 2.6.18-4-amd64 (and the kernel module from the amd64 distribution) - and the X server started and I have accelerated X...

Only google earth is not working properly - it's fast (faster than before, that is), but it's showing a lot of black rectangles and a lot of rectangles with an incorrect content

Oh well..
I.
Iridos

Previous

Return to Desktop & Multimedia