using non-free iso's

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

using non-free iso's

Postby pinot » 2019-02-13 20:37

due to minimal experience via cli - i was curious about trying the latest unofficial stable non-free debian. any comments or counsel would be appreciated.
pinot

Re: using non-free iso's

Postby GarryRicketson » 2019-02-13 22:42

I would start by reading some of the documentation at https://www.debian.org/
That is what the website is for.
If you are not capable of doing some research, and reading instructions, etc, Debian probably is not a good choice for you. There also are a few Utube tutorials, for those that have reading disabilities.
https://www.debian.org/distrib/ and follow the link to:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
any comments or counsel would be appreciated.

That is what the documentation is for. And also what search engines are for:
latest unofficial stable non-free debian
There are plenty of excellent results, but again, if you can not even do that much, I really don't think Debian is a good choice for you.
==== edit ====
If you do happen to have a specific question, on something you do not understand in the documentation, or something you don't find in the FAQ's, by all means ask us here, but please, at least make a little effort on your part and read some of the documentation, especially the FAQ's, probably any question you may have , has all ready been answered, many many many times,...
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2019-02-14 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
GarryRicketson

Postby pinot » 2019-02-13 22:59

okay....

p.s thank you for the great welcome.
pinot

Postby Deb-fan » 2019-02-14 00:09

Try them and see. Think Debian is awesome but adding another Debian user and someone with access to all the amazing things they've done, has to be a good thing. Definitely use them. Don't doubt there are Debian purists. Very much committed to Foss only and they do have a very honorable cause but overwhelming majority are not (or outright can't) take that path. Honestly never been and never will be 100% open source only. Thank goodness an awe inspiring project like Debian and the amazing people involved in it exist though.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *
Deb-fan

Postby pinot » 2019-02-14 00:17

thanks deb-fan i appreciate it. i just always thought debian was an intimidating distro. hence my question about thoughts or positive comments.

to Garry - on further thought ----my title is Dr. and i did not get that by sitting around watching cartoons or playing video games. took a lot of hard work for decades. linux and command line stuff is just like a whole 'nother language - and i have studied japanese, german (years ago) aand a smathering of hindi and chinese, and bihasi, et.al.

lastly i have been running linux for over a decade and the last 5 years exclusively - but i use easier distro and not something like arch - so i have been hesitant to try debian. i need stuff to work daily and do not have time to set and overly tweak multiple laptops up. i just am not that cli geek unfortunately.
pinot

Postby GarryRicketson » 2019-02-14 01:00

Is that suppose to impress me ? It doesn't. Oh, but this does :
p.s thank you for the great welcome.

It does impress me when people say thank you, You are welcome, I couldn't suggest much else, because what I suggested is exactly what I did, before deciding to install Debian, back when it was Debian 6.
Some time later, and by that time it was Debian 7, wheezy, I did run into some problems, and was not sure why, or what to do, I stumbled onto this forum doing a search, and decided to ask here, turned out I had not read this :
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
You might want to read it as well, all though it does not really relate directly to the Debian non-official,non-free ISO's. It does apply to any Debian, and after you install it,... be carefull about installing packages and software, that is NOT from the official Debian Repos.
I had a program I liked, but it was not in the Debian repos, however it was in the Ubuntu ppas, not knowing any better I installed it, thought I was real smart , just adding the ubuntu repository to my sources.list file.
Any way, like I said, if and when you do install Debian, if you have any problems, or something you don't understand, there are plenty of members here willing to try to help.
Often people do recommend the unofficial stable non-free debian, it can save a lot of learning curve, and time, so those are great for getting started with Debian.
lastly i have been running linux for over a decade and the last 5 years exclusively

You did not mention that in your first post, surprising someone with title Dr. neglects to give any details, but then I learned years ago not to trust any Doctors, most of them are quacks, and neglect to tell you details , like the side affects of the drugs they prescribe, or the addiction potential, but then maybe you are not a medical doctor, but some other kind of doctor, don't really care on that , and besides it is another topic.
Getting back on topic, I think with over a decade of using linux, you won't have any problem with Debian.
Debian is not that difficult nor different from the others. I had been using some other Linux distros for many years, before I decided to use Debian, and at the time it seemed like a good choice, saddly things change, and after Debian 7 , I found I needed to change again, and move on to something else, but still Debian is a good choice for many people, and the non official non free CD/DVDs are great.
GarryRicketson

Postby pinot » 2019-02-14 01:25

Thanks Garry. not trying to impress you just stating that i am not lazy and not a dummy - just dumb re: linux /code/computer software stuff. i used mainly debian based distro's before that messed with mandrake a long time ago. so i was very curious as to the base of these distros. actually typing this from the live dvd but settings for trackpad are weird - up is down and down is up a la mac and there is a reverse setting but may need some extensions. not worried but was curious as to what debian was like. not being a wiseguy - just have little time and have very crippling arthritis and have lived in chronic pain for 30 yrs.typing is difficult as so many other things. the gnome seems rather nice - xfce was never my thing and looked at the briefly. need some more time to explore this and get another laptop to dedicate to debian. Thanks.
pinot

Postby GarryRicketson » 2019-02-14 01:46

Your welcome, again, I would think though, any one like you, with the capabilities you have, IE, can read, study, etc, and willing to do that , should not have to much trouble with Debian , and the non-free iso's should be a advantage, especially if you don't have much free time to be trying to get firmware, etc working,..
actually typing this from the live dvd but settings for trackpad are weird - up is down and down

I don't think you can do much to change those settings from the live DVD, but to be honest , don't know on that, in any event that is something some of the more skilled members can help you with, if you can not figure it out, and if you actually install it.
It would be best , if need be, start a new topic specifically on that problem, if you browse the forum, you will notice in many posts they ask for details about the hardware, etc,..some of those posts should give you a pretty good idea as to what details are needed.
GarryRicketson

Postby pinot » 2019-02-14 02:14

gary - i did get working in live mode. i found it in maybe utilities i guess it was. i shut the live mode down for he night. have a very sick older dog that has fibrocartilaginous embolism in the brain and spine. i had to take care of him and also get him out. i have to say i think debian gnome is so much nicer and better than ubuntu from what i tried at the end of last year with bionic beaver. started with gnome as such but went to enlightenment and stayed there so using gnome is strange again. ran macs since osx but when they really took off on all the drm stuff and their other polcies i went linux fulltime.

i use krita and just found my paint and also gimp for my wine labels from my vineyard - do not do music anymore and use libreoffice and chromium and thunderbird so debian should work out nicely and i hate live ,modes but wireless was there which is crucial and install is so much faster and neater. i did read and need to reread that you have pick he repositories for updates or some such. i thought they would all be automatically. i update and upgrade via terminal. need to install synaptic too. remove the games and apps i do not need/want/use.i could get into it so thanks again.
pinot

Return to Beginners Questions