Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to install debian on imac-emac ppc, very verbose set-up

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

How to install debian on imac-emac ppc, very verbose set-up

#1 Post by oswaldkelso »

Hi all
First off I'm in my own words a "Raving dyslexic" I struggle with text and consequentially the cli (command line interface). But I want to run debian not because it's the best (many think it is but they will be gone when the next best thing comes along) I want to run debian because of this http://www.debian.org/social_contract. In this install I will try and show powerpc users (ppc) how I install debian. I know this may not be the best, fastest or most sensible way but its the way that works for me and my disability. As an aside I will be as verbose as I can, so anyone no matter what their skill level can get this to work. Because of the low spec of this ppc we shall install and run the Blackbox window manager and rox_filer file manager and set it up so the desktop environment is similar in layout to mac osx. (i.e. the dock at the bottom clock at the top). This machine is also to be used by my 10 year old daughter who also uses osx at her mothers. I want the layout to be similar and some concessions are made for her ease of use over performance.
I shall give a little note about each application. I shall install in blocks so new users who are not familiar with the gimp, abiword etc, understand what they are installing. Also it helps me find any typing mistakes.

BACKGROUND:
The mac I'm installing on is an imac 333mhz with 256mb of ram. This is not a fast machine so although you could install Gnome, Kde or Xfce, which are full featured desktop environments like mac osx and windows xp. I shall be running something lighter and hopefully faster. If you are installing debian for the very first time I would install Gnome, (see: NOTE: GNOME: if you want to do that) learn, then install Xfce, then uninstall gnome. This is because they use the same tool kit (gtk) and play nice together. If you are coming from windows then Kde may be the one for you. With all these options expect a performance Hit! these are full modern desktop environments. Of the 3 Xfce offers the best performance but slighty less options. (It's my default desktop so I'm biased)

NOTE: GNOME: if you want a gnome install, follow this how to until you get to

"software selection: we shall press the space bar to deselect desktop the press return."

Just leave it selected.

NOTE: It is my under standing that these ppc's when new had 32mb of ram. To accept more than they were built for, may require a firmware update. This is done under mac os. I.E. do this first!!! or all your ram may not be seen! (please correct me if I am wrong) SEE: imac drawbacks below

ref: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117
ref: http://lowendmac.com/macdan/04/0907.html

iMac Drawbacks

"One of our iMac 333s has 320 MB total RAM (a 64 MB module in the short slot, 256 MB in the long one) and runs OS X pretty comfortably. The other one won't see more than 128 MB in the long slot even if we plug in a 256 MB module. So that iMac has only 192 MB, and it's noticeably slower running OS X because it has to depend on virtual memory so often."

and

"The second big tray-loading iMac problem is shared with the WallStreet PowerBooks and beige G3 Power Macs - any drive over 8 GB must be partitioned, the first partition must be smaller than 8 GB, and these models will only boot from OS X if it's installed on the first partition."

This also applies to linux, if you have fitted a larger HD put boot and root on the first 8gb and a separate home partition on the rest. If your going to dual boot. Osx must be on the first partition. Linux on the second, both within the first 8gb. This is a hardware constraint not software.

NOTE: APPLE EMAC'S: This install works fine on emac's. A few adjustments are needed they are noted where required.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GETTING DEBIAN:

step1. down load the iso from.

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/debian-installer/

we shall choose:
business card CD image (generally 20-50 MB) choose "powerpc"

when the iso has downloaded burn it to a cd using the application of your choice.

EDIT: Things have moved on a bit and Debian now has a CD with Xfce and Lxde. The installation will use Xfce by default (my favorite desktop on my more powerful machines) you can switch to the even lighter Lxde desktop that is ready to go based on openbox at the login session. If you are a new user and all this seems a bit confusing, read on take what you need from here and apply it to that CD. http://ftp.acc.umu.se/debian-cd/6.0.5/p ... e-CD-1.iso

http://mirror.geeksoc.org/fosdem/2009/l ... e.xvid.avi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvel6FB97j0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE:

How I burn an iso in osx.

I had a lot of bad burns in osx. So this is what I do now it works for me so I've never changed.

1. download the disc image.
open disc utility.
drag the disc image into the left hand pane on disc utility.
select the image in the pane.
then select burn.

you must not open the disk image with the finder it can mess it up!!

2. use burnfreex http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13824

3. If you use toast in os 9,burn using the straight iso 9660 not pc, mac, etc

4. If you use windows I don't know!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOOTING THE DISK:

After you've burn the disk, insert it and reboot holding down the "c" key this will start booting the debian cd. At the prompt just press enter.

NOTE: You can also select the boot options by holding down the alt key on boot if the "c" key fails. This will show you all boot options, for e.g. osx, osx2, os9, linux1, linux2, cd, etc. If available to you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIGURING THE INSTALL:

NOTE: I shall show what I entered in each section for my part of the world. (the UK). And my personal settings. You will need to change these to suit you own location and name choices, unless your in the uk and want a machine called debian333 :).

select language: English
select Country: United Kingdom
choose local: en_GB.UTF-8
choose additional local:en_GB and en_GB.iso-8859-15
select keyboard: British English
choose host name: debian333
choose domain name: debianlocal
choose archive mirror: ftp.uk.debian.org

continue

partitioning method: guided use entire disk

IMPORTANT NOTE: When you confirm (THIS WILL ERASE THE WHOLE DISK AND YOUR DATA!!!) Read up on disk partioning if you want to dual boot. If you have your mac OS install disks and have backed up all your data you can rebuild your system. If you don't there is no going back mac OS will be gone for good!!! proceed at your own risk.

select disk to partition: mine was IDE MASTER (hda) -6.4 GB quantum fireball cr6.4a
partition scheme: all files on one partition.

NOTE: I choose this as the Hard drive is small and there will be no vital data on it. You may want to have a separate home partition to aid data recovery should things ever go awol.

NOTE: after partitioning my 6.4 gb hard drive looked like this:
#1 32.3kb apple
#2 1.0mb B K Boot untitled
#3 6.1GB F Ext3 untitled
#4 333.6mb F swap swap

write changes to disk: yes (this is the point of no return goodbye mac os and welcome to debian)

Root password: supersecret
verify: supersecret

new user: imac333
verify: imac333

user password: secret
verify password: secret

NOTE: make a note of these details and store them somewhere safe.

WAIT: for the base system to install.

popularity contest: yes

software selection: we shall press the space bar to deselect desktop the press return.

WAIT: THE BASE SYSTEM WILL INSTALL AND THEN EJECT THE CD. on my 1mb connection this took 5 mins.

HECK A PROMPT!! what now??

enter: root
enter your root password: supersecret

NOTE: if all goes well you'll have a hash sign like this # at the prompt point. This shows that you are logged in as root with super user privileges. A tilda sign like this ~ shows you are logged in as a normal user

WE ARE NOW READY TO TO INSTALL THE GRAPHICAL ENVIRONMENT UTILITIES AND APPLICATIONS

INSTALLATION:NOTES.

NOTE: UTILITIES
xorg is the application that sets up the graphical environment. Called the X Window System or just X.

xarchiver is a file compressor and extractor. Think of it like this, you have a folding bike, you fold it up and takes up less space, even though it's all there. But you cant ride it. (run it in computer terms). Extracting it is like unfolding the bike, it's takes up more space but you can ride it!. This is great for moving files over the internet and if you have limited space on your computer.

rox-filer is fast and powerful graphical file manager for the X Window System. You can use it as a small and fast filer manager within your current desktop...

synaptic is a graphical package management program for apt. It provides the same features as the apt-get command line utility with a GUI front-end based on Gtk+.

blackbox is the fast, lightweight window manager for the X Window System.

menu is a program that creates a list of the applications on your system, it then creates a menu that will show up in your window manager. (blackbox in this case)

conky is a utility that can display information about your system. lots of data, from the date to system load and space, memory, network etc.

gdm (the GNOME Display Manager) provides an alternate display manager for the X Window System. It gives you a nice graphical login.

alsa-base and alsa-utils are for setting up sound.

java (I dont have a clue what java is some programming language I think. Some web pages ask for it)

apt-spy is a program that finds the debian servers in your location and tests them for speed automatically writing the fastest into your /etc/apt/sources.list. Here is mine.

# sources.list generated by apt-spy v3.1
deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ stable main
deb-src http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ stable main
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org stable main

Edit:UPDATE: With Lenny becoming "stable" soon (Sept 2008 ish) To keep this how to relevant and not bork your etch install substitute this sources list below for the one above.

# sources.list generated by apt-spy v3.1
deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ etch main
deb-src http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ etch main
deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main

NOTE: You need to be setup for your location I mistakenly put Europe instead of west/western Europe and it took 45 min to search all the sources. In a terminal type "man apt-spy" for instructions

tilda and eterm are terminal emulators. Programs that emulate a terminal in a graphical way when running X.

ivman is a program that can easily mount devices. usb flash sticks, cds, dvds, etc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To install enter.

CODE:

# apt-get install xorg xarchiver rox-filer synaptic blackbox bbrun blackbox-themes bbkeys menu gdm conky alsa-base alsa-utils apt-spy tilda eterm ivman java-common java-gcj-compat java-gcj-compat-plugin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To setup the X Window System.

CODE:

# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

NOTE: here are my settings for the UK. Yours will differ depending on your location.

ATI,ok,ok,ok,yes,auto detect keyboard,yes,ok,ok,pc105,ok,ok,imps/2,yes (I have a 3 button mouse with scroll wheel, if you have a "puck" play hockey with it as you really need a 3 button mouse in linux).yes,enter imac,1024x768,Advanced, change settings to 58-62 for horizontal and 75-117 vertical (this is important X Windows will fail if left at the default).yes,24.

NOTE: My UK imac trayloader xorg.conf
# imac xorg.conf Debian Lenny
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
# European keyboard is "pc 105" if you have an imac keyboard " and @ are reversed
# Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
# USA keyboard is "pc 104"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
# Great Briton keyboard is "gb"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
# USA keyboard is "us"
Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:lwin_switch"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
BusID "PCI:0:18:0"
Option "UseFBDev" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
HorizSync 58-62
VertRefresh 75-117
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Disable "glx"
Disable "dri"
EndSection
NOTE:EMAC: Etch only!!! If you have an emac when you get to Advanced, change settings to 71-73 for horizontal and 70-140 vertical . Also although emacs support screen resolutions 1280x960 and 1152x870 only 1024x768 ever shows up?. The resolution seems "small" so I'm not sure whats up. Just make sure 1024x768 is selected as I understand debian will choose the highest resolution available.

NOTE:EMAC: Lenny. xorg.conf for emac.
#tested on eMac, ATI 1.25 GHz
Section "InputDevice"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
BusID "PCI:0:16:0"
Option "UseFBDev" "true"
Option "ConnectorTable" "100,1,0,1,108,2,0,1"
Option "ReverseDDC" "true"
Option "AGPMode" "4"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

#Note: This set for 1280x960 resolution to change see below.
#Add a # to Modeline and Option NOT required.
#remove # to Modeline and Option required (just one modeline and option "PreferredMode"per monitor)
# save to changes. Then reboot.

#Modeline "800x600_112.00" 76.84 800 848 936 1072 600 601 604 640 +hsync +vsync
#Option "PreferredMode""800x600_112.00"

#Modeline "1024x768_89.00" 99.07 1024 1088 1200 1376 768 769 772 809 +hsync +vsync
#Option "PreferredMode" "1024x768_89.00"

#Modeline "1152x870_80.00" 113.11 1152 1224 1352 1552 870 871 874 911 +hsync +vsync
#Option "PreferredMode" "1152x870_80.00

Modeline "1280x960_72.00" 124.54 1280 1368 1504 1728 960 961 964 1001 +HSync +Vsync
Option "PreferredMode" "1280x960_72.00"

EndSection

Section "Screen"
EndSection
NOTE: if anything fails rerun and tweak with.

CODE:

# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

EDIT: IMPORTANT NOTE FOR DEBIAN LENNY.
After instaling Debian Lenny on an imac ppc X will fail! You will be greeted buy a blank screen and no curser this is the fix.

Based on

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIss ... 0iMac%20G3

Blank screen on iMac G3

Do you get a blank screen after booting? The problem is that xorg.conf is not set up properly for the iMac G3.

Follow these steps to fix xorg.conf:

After booting is complete:

Type: ctrl-option-F1 (should give you a command prompt, may take a couple of tries)
Login as root:

Type: su
root Password:xxxxxxx
nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf (return)

In the Monitor section, change "HorizSync" to 58-62 and "VertRefresh" to 75-117.

NOTE: EDITORS: leafpad is a small text editor. geany is for coding I think, but I love the tabs, word count, terminal, scribble pad, insert comment, insert date, and the fact it shows hidden files easily. xpdf is a lite pdf reader. adiword is a lite cross platform word processor.

To install enter

CODE:

# apt-get install leafpad geany xpdf abiword abiword-plugins

NOTE: INTERNET:
gaim is an instant messenger like msn, ichat and adium.
xchat is an irc application (internet relay chat).
iceweasel is firefox web-browser with debian bug fixes.
firefox-sage is a rss reader plugin for iceweasel.
gftp is an easy to use gnome ftp application.
transmission is a bittorrent application.
hpodder and podracer are cli podcast aggregators.
NOTE: why two? I use hpodder for tutorials and book podcasts I plan to keep as it stores them by name and I get evey episode in one directory. e.g . all of linuxreality. podracer I use for news feeds that I listen to once and delete as it stores them by date. This way I just delete out of date directory's. You may be able to do this with just one but I've never figured it out.
twinkle is a voip application (voice over internet protocol) that's a internet telephone to you and me. It worked first time on this machine (although quietly) with the built in mic and speakers.
sylpheed is a lite fast email application.
drivel is client for publishing blogs. It works with LiveJournal, Blogger, MovableType, Advogato, WordPress and Drupal. You can update your blogs with a single click from your desktop.

To install enter

CODE:

# apt-get install gaim xchat iceweasel firefox-sage gftp transmission hpodder podracer twinkle sylpheed drivel

NOTE: GRAPHICS:
"dia" is a gtk+ based diagram creation program similar to "viso" and "omnigraffle"
"gimp" is the GNU Image Manipulation Program similar to "photoshop".
"inkscape" is an open-source vector graphics editor similar to Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, and Freehand.
"gqview" is a fast easy to use image browser.

To install enter

CODE:

# apt-get install dia gimp inkscape gqview

NOTE: MULTIMEDIA: From they're respective web sites.

"gxine" is a free multimedia player. It plays back CDs, DVDs, and VCDs. It also decodes multimedia files like AVI, MOV, WMV, and MP3 from local disk drives, and displays multimedia streamed over the Internet."

"VLC" media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network."

"MPlayer" is a movie player which runs on many systems (see the documentation). It plays most MPEG/VOB, AVI, Ogg/OGM, VIVO, ASF/WMA/WMV, QT/MOV/MP4, RealMedia, Matroska, NUT, NuppelVideo, FLI, YUV4MPEG, FILM, RoQ, PVA files, supported by many native, XAnim, and Win32 DLL codecs. You can watch VideoCD, SVCD, DVD, 3ivx, DivX 3/4/5 and even WMV movies.."

With linux multimedia can be a minefield, mainly due to propriatory codecs. This means that some codecs can't be included in "libre" operating systems like debian by default. I use vlc for flash playback, gmplayer for wmv, and gxine for dvd. You could choose just one your mileage will variy.

"audacious" is a music media player. I like its small interface.

NOTE: I use a firefox plugin called "MediaPlayerConnectivity" and set mplayer for windows and apple codecs on the imac. on the emac I set gmplayer. I set vlc for mp3. And realplayer for realplayer.

NOTE: MEDIAPLAYERCONNECTIVITY IS NOT A DEBIAN PACKAGE. OR A “LIBRE” ONE AS FAR AS I'M AWARE.

NOTE: If you want to install realplayer instructions are at the end.

EDIT: YOUTUBE
Gnash and swdec are to resource heavy and unfortunatly not quite there on my PPC machines. Here a rehash of info on youtube or PPC My self and other posted on the ubuntu forum. It will give you a good youtube experiance if nothing else.

How to watch youtube clips without flash-gnash etc on PPC
I just notice a lot of new PPC users struggling so thought I'd chuck this in.

I only really need flash for youtube and as it doesn't exist and gnash can be a bit cpu intensive on my old PPC hardware I use clive in terminator. Then I split the screen and run mplayer -ontop name-of-clip, works a treat. (you can leave out the -ontop bit if your feeling lazy)
No need to wait for the download, and you can be adding other clips at the same time.

Depending on your connection speed you can vary how much video to cache. On my poor 1mb connection I give 5% on small clips and 10-15% on larger ones.

In reality by the time you've split the terminator screen and typed mpla (TAB to auto complete) and read and started typing the youtube clip name (clive changes all that gobby gook to a real name) your buffer has loaded.

In debian I use mplayer from debian multimedia repo,(non gui).

as root

Code: Select all

apt-get install clive mplayer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-KeLxxHkEY

Or

For a nice gui try Abby it needs clive or cclive to be installed http://code.google.com/p/abby/ I use clive or cclive if I just want to play a single youtube link and abby if I want to select from all the links on the page and down load them all for later in a few clicks.

Apt-get install abby cclive
Hi I've been playing around with cclive and after read in the help things get even easier.

http://code.google.com/p/cclive/
http://code.google.com/p/cclive/wiki/FA ... from_clive

try adding this to your hidden ~/.ccliverc

filename-format = "%t.%s"
regexp = "/(\w|\pL|\s)/g"
stream-exec = "mplayer -really-quiet %i"

then to view youtube just enter

cclive -s youtude-URL

And mplayer will start the video automatically

Or
Minitube a sort of youtube TV http://freshmeat.net/projects/minitube http://flavio.tordini.org/minitube
I did eventually manage to compile it. http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=46571 But it failed to play on my machine. You may have better luck and it is as of today being activly developed.

Or
You could just use the customvid addon for firefox/iceweasel https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12027 (License: Mozilla Public License 1.1 (MPL 1.1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aahiPQwb5hM

Or

If you run epiphany or iceweasel use a greasemonkey script.
First you need to install greasemonkey from the repos

apt-get install epiphany-extensions 
or

apt-get install iceweasel-greasemonkey
And then, install this script: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/50771

If you run epiphany the script goes in ./gnome2/epiphany/extentions/data/greasemonkey/50771.user.js
I found it worked well on my better machines but on my low end 333mhz imac clive and mplayer was a better option and much more flexible in that it didn't restrict browser choice, and was faster and seems to use less resources.

To install enter

CODE:

# apt-get install vlc mplayer gxine audacious

NOTE: UPDATE AND UPGRADE

CODE:

# apt-get update

CODE:

# apt-get upgrade
NOTE: now we update the debian menus so you will see your applications in blackbox when you right click on the desktop.

CODE:

# update-menus
NOTE: now we shut-down and restart. If all goes well you will have "X" and a graphical login window (gdm), enter your user name and password and start customising your new system as you see fit. If you want to see my customising below.

CODE:

# shut-down -r now
MY CUSTOMISING:

BLACKBOX:

NOTE: a "directory" in linux is like a "folder" in osx.
a "file" in linux is like a "document" in osx.

open rox from the menu (right click apps/Systen/Rox filer) or (xterm and type rox) you toggle the "eye" icon to show/hide hidden files and directory's, all hidden files and directory names start with a fullstop/point like this .
The short cut to show hidden is ctrl+h

At present the blackbox menu, styles and backgrounds are system wide. i.e. not specific to you. We shall take a copy of these file and but them in your home folder making them specific to you.

The system wide setting are stored in: /usr/share/blackbox

and

/etc/X11/blackbox

to setup your user blackbox files in rox, goto your home directory right click over the rox window and from the menu select New/Directory.

Name it.

.blackbox

NOTE: Don't forget the fullstop/point . at the front of the file name as it is a hidden directory.

inside .blackbox create a directory called backgrounds and a directory called styles. When your done it should mimic the setup in /usr/share/blackbox.

download or copy your favorite desktop background into the directory backgrounds you just created.

NOTE: In my setup I use an image I called gnu1024x768.jpg You will see this file name in some configuration files later. Substitute your desktop background image name.

NOTE: Make sure your images are at the correct resolution for your screen. i.e. 1024x768 or 800x600 etc. doing this makes applications that use fake transparency look more real. This is because some applications can scale an image (like rox) and some don't (like conky) easily, well if they do, I don't know how to scale them :)

STLYES:

Right click on the desktop and try all the styles from your blackbox menu. remember your favourite, we shall copy this as the base for your user set-up. In my case I liked "Gray"

I opened "Gray" from the /usr/share/blackbox/styles directory with a text editor and selected all and copied. I then pasted into a new file called which I "imacstyle" and saved in /home/username/.blackbox/styles.

NOTE: If you are using geany as a text editor you have a check box "show hidden files" With leafpad select open and right click on the open window, this will let you select "show hidden files".From Rox use the "eye" icon to show/hide the hidden files.

SETTING UP YOUR ROOT WINDOW (don't ask!) SO FAKE TRANSPARENCY WORKS IN CONKY AND ETERM:

Open your newly created "imacstyle" from /home/username/.blackbox/styles/imacstyle and comment out rootCommand: bsetroot -solid rgb:aa/aa/aa with a hash sign # like this.

#rootCommand: bsetroot -solid rgb:aa/aa/aa
and add this
rootCommand: bsetbg /home/username/.blackbox/backgrounds/gnu1024x768.jpg

MENU:

With a text editor I (I used geany) opened the blackbox-menu file in /etc/X11/blackbox.
select all with keys CTRL+A.
copy with keys CTRL+C
open a new file with keys CTRL+N
paste the copied imformation into the new file with CTRL+V
save as "blackbox-menu" in your hidden .blackbox directory

EDITING YOUR BLACKBOX-MENU:

Open your blackbox-menu, copy and add this to the top of your menu and save.

[begin] (Blackbox)
[exit] (Exit)
[sep]
[exec] (File manager) {rox --pinboard=MyPinboard -b=MyPanel}
[exec] (Editor) {/usr/bin/geany}
[exec] (System data) {/usr/bin/conky}
[exec] (Terminal) {/usr/bin/Eterm}
[exec] (Root terminal) {/usr/bin/gksu -u root /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator}
[exec] (run application) {/usr/bin/bbrun}
[exec] (Browser) {iceweasel}
[exec] (email) {/usr/bin/sylpheed}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: I try not to add to many things to the menu, only base applications as most will be avalible when the Rox panel is setup.

YOUR .BLACKBOXRC FILE:

If I remember correctly this file was auto generated. Anyway this file lives in your home directory and is a hidden file called.

.blackboxrc

This is mine, with notes where the defaults are changed.

session.screen0.slit.placement: CenterLeft
session.screen0.slit.direction: Vertical
session.screen0.slit.onTop: True
session.screen0.slit.autoHide: True
session.screen0.toolbar.onTop: True
session.screen0.toolbar.autoHide: False

session.screen0.toolbar.placement: TopRight
NOTE: I have set the toolbar to TopRight so as to match the layout in OSX

session.screen0.toolbar.widthPercent: 98
#NOTE: I like full width toolbars but I edit the toolbar section so as to leave a little bit of desktop showing. Then even if a window is maximized I have access to the menu at all times.

session.screen0.enableToolbar: True
session.screen0.workspaces: 4
session.screen0.workspaceNames: Workspace 1,Workspace 2,Workspace 3,Workspace 4
session.screen0.strftimeFormat: %I:%M %p
session.windowPlacement: CascadePlacement
session.autoRaiseDelay: 400
session.edgeSnapThreshold: 0
session.toolbarActionsWithMouseWheel: True
session.imageDither: OrderedDither

session.menuFile: /home/ok/.blackbox/blackbox-menu
NOTE: this points to your blackbox-menu if you change its name or move it you edit the changes here.

session.rowPlacementDirection: LeftToRight
session.opaqueMove: True
session.focusModel: ClickToFocus
session.changeWorkspaceWithMouseWheel: True
session.placementIgnoresShaded: True
session.windowSnapThreshold: 0
session.disableBindingsWithScrollLock: False
session.doubleClickInterval: 250
session.focusLastWindow: True
session.focusNewWindows: True
session.shadeWindowWithMouseWheel: True
session.colPlacementDirection: TopToBottom
session.opaqueResize: True
session.fullMaximization: False
session.maximumColors: 0

session.styleFile: /home/ok/.blackbox/styles/imacstyle
NOTE: this points to your user style that appears in the blackbox-menu if you change its name or move it you edit the changes here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROX-FILER:

Rox-filer or rox is and easy to use and fast feature rich and "pretty" file manager. It supports desktop icons and has a panel with drag and drop capabilities.

STARTING ROX:

If you run this command in bbrun or a terminal you will start rox the pinboard and the panel.

rox --pinboard=MyPinboard -b=MyPanel

you can add it to you window manager menu or a startup script.

I like it in my blackbox-menu file and add it like this.

[exec] (File manager) {rox --pinboard=MyPinboard -b=MyPanel}
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BASIC SETUP:

Open rox via your menu or the home icon on either the desktop or the panel. Right click over the rox window select options. This is where you customize rox here are my settings that are different from the defaults.

DISPLAY:

check box for "order small icons vertically"
check box for "order large icons vertically"

THUMBNAILS:

check box for "show image thumbnails"

ICONIFIED WINDOWS:

bottom left horizontally

PANELS:

set slider to thin

MENUS:

set to small icons

TYPES:

icon theme "gartoon"

NOTE: you can install this icon set as root from a terminal with the command.

CODE:
apt-get install gnome-icon-theme-gartoon

COMPATIBILITY:

check box for "pass all backdrop mouse clicks to window manager"
check box for "Blackbox root menus hack"

NOTE: IMPORTANT: if you use a window manager you will need these checked.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DESKTOP PANEL:

right click on the panel and set to bottom

NOTE: If your window manager taskbar is set to full width it may be obscuring the panel. if so, temporarly resize or move the window manager taskbar.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYLPHEED: Your settings will vary on this, check and note the settings on your existing email application.
If you have a gmail account, rather than reinvent the wheel see this.

http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles ... index.html

GQVIEW:

I keep the default settings for the most part. The ones I change under edit, preferences, are...

filtering: click the checkbox on show entries that start with a dot (i.e hidden files)

Editors:

# menu name commandline
The Gimp gimp-remote -n %f
Xpaint xpaint %f
inkscape inkscape %f
dia dia %f

Now you can browse your images and from the drop down menu select the application to open them. There are lots of keyboard shortcuts see the help. My favourite is CTRL+zoom in and out with the mouse wheel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONKY: Here is my .conkyrc file. It is a hidden file that lives in the users home directory.

# set to yes if you want Conky to be forked in the background
background no

# X font when Xft is disabled, you can pick one with program xfontsel
#font 5x7
#font 6x10
#font 7x13
#font 8x13
#font 9x15
font *mintsmild.se*
#font -*-*-*-*-*-*-35-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

# Use Xft?
use_xft no

# Set conky on the bottom of all other applications
#on_bottom yes

# Xft font when Xft is enabled
#xftfont Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:size=10

# Text alpha when using Xft
#xftalpha 0.15

# Print everything to stdout?
# out_to_console no

# MPD host/port
# mpd_host localhost
# mpd_port 6600
# mpd_password tinker_bell

# Print everything to console?
# out_to_console no

# mail spool
#mail_spool $MAIL
###########################
mail_spool $MAIL
###########################
# Update interval in seconds
update_interval 5.0

# This is the number of times Conky will update before quitting.
# Set to zero to run forever.
total_run_times 0

# Create own window instead of using desktop (required in nautilus)
own_window yes

# If own_window is yes, you may use type normal, desktop or overide
own_window_type normal

# Use pseudo transparency with own_window?
own_window_transparent yes

# If own_window_transparent is set to no, you can set the background colour here
#own_window_colour

# If own_window is yes, these window manager hints may be used
own_window_hints undecorated,below,skip_pager

# Use double buffering (reduces flicker, may not work for everyone)
double_buffer no

# Minimum size of text area
minimum_size 100 15

# Draw shades?
draw_shades yes

# Draw outlines?
draw_outline no

# Draw borders around text
draw_borders no

# Stippled borders?
stippled_borders 8 no

# border margins
border_margin 4

# border width
border_width 1

# Default colors and also border colors
default_color white
default_shade_color black
default_outline_color black

# Text alignment, other possible values are commented
#alignment top_left
#alignment top_right
#alignment bottom_left
alignment bottom_right
#alignment none

# Gap between borders of screen and text
# same thing as passing -x at command line
gap_x 8
gap_y 68

# Subtract file system buffers from used memory?
no_buffers yes

# set to yes if you want all text to be in uppercase
uppercase no

# number of cpu samples to average
# set to 1 to disable averaging
cpu_avg_samples 2

# number of net samples to average
# set to 1 to disable averaging
net_avg_samples 2

# Force UTF8? note that UTF8 support required XFT
override_utf8_locale no

# Add spaces to keep things from moving about? This only affects certain objects.
use_spacer no

# mldonkey_hostname Hostname for mldonkey stuff, defaults to localhost
# mldonkey_port Mldonkey port, 4001 default
# mldonkey_login Mldonkey login, default none
# mldonkey_password Mldonkey password, default none

# boinc (seti) dir
# seti_dir /opt/seti

# variable is given either in format $variable or in ${variable}. Latter
# allows characters right after the variable and must be used in network
# stuff because of an argument

# stuff after 'TEXT' will be formatted on screen

TEXT
${color }$nodename ${hr}
${color #9fb6cd}${time %a, } $alignr${color }${time %e %B %G}
${color #9fb6cd}${time %Z, }$alignr${color }${time %H:%M:%S}
${color #9fb6cd}UpTime: $alignr${color }$uptime
${color #9fb6cd}Kernel:$alignr${color }$kernel

${cpugraph 20,130 000000 ffffff}
${color #9fb6cd}Load: $alignr${color }$loadavg
${color #9fb6cd}Processes: $alignr${color }$processes
${color #9fb6cd}Running: $alignr${color }$running_processes

${color #9fb6cd}Highest CPU:
${color #ddaa00} ${top name 1}$alignr${top_mem cpu 1}
${color lightgrey} ${top name 2}$alignr${top cpu 2}
${color lightgrey} ${top name 3}$alignr${top cpu 3}
${color lightgrey} ${top name 4}$alignr${top cpu 4}
${color lightgrey} ${top name 5}$alignr${top cpu 5}

${color #9fb6cd}Highest MEM:
${color #ddaa00} ${top_mem name 1}$alignr${top_mem mem 1}
${color lightgrey} ${top_mem name 2}$alignr${top_mem mem 2}
${color lightgrey} ${top_mem name 3}$alignr${top_mem mem 3}
${color lightgrey} ${top_mem name 4}$alignr${top_mem mem 4}
${color lightgrey} ${top_mem name 5}$alignr${top_mem mem 5}

${color #9fb6cd}MEM: $alignr${color } $memperc% $mem/$memmax
${membar 3,100}
${color #9fb6cd}SWAP: $alignr${color }$swapperc% $swap/$swapmax
${swapbar 3,100}

${color #9fb6cd}ROOT: $alignr${color }${fs_free /}/${fs_size /}
${fs_bar 3,100 /}

${color #9fb6cd}HOME: $alignr${color }${fs_free /home}/${fs_size /home}
${fs_bar 3,100 /home}

${color #9fb6cd}NET (${color}${addr eth1}${color #9fb6cd}):
${color}Up: ${color }$alignr${upspeed eth1} kB/s
${upspeedgraph eth1 20,130 000000 ffffff}
${color}Total: $alignr${totalup eth1}

${color}Down: ${color }$alignr${downspeed eth1}kB/s${color}
${downspeedgraph eth1 20,130 000000 ffffff}
${color}Total: $alignr${totaldown eth1}

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TILDA: I really like tilda it is the terminal emulator that opens by default on my main machine. I like the tabs and scrolling in particular. It is very easy to setup, one thing to watch is if it is set to "always on top". (the default setting) You can inadvertently hide the preference panel if you set the window size to large. On first setup uncheck the "always on top" box. If you mess it up you can edit the configuration file. It is a hidden file that lives in the users home .tilda directory.

Here is my tilda configuration file.

# image = ""
# command = ""
font = "Monospace 10"
key = "None+F2"
title = "Tilda"
background_color = "white"
# working_dir = ""
lines = 100
max_width = 1024
max_height = 715
min_width = 1
min_height = 1
transparency = 100
x_pos = 0
y_pos = 25
tab_pos = 0
backspace_key = 0
delete_key = 1
d_set_title = 3
command_exit = 0
scheme = 0
slide_sleep_usec = 10000
scrollbar_pos = 1
back_red = 3913
back_green = 51808
back_blue = 32723
text_red = 0
text_green = 112
text_blue = 32723
scroll_background = true
scroll_on_output = false
notebook_border = true
down = false
antialias = true
scrollbar = true
use_image = false
grab_focus = true
above = false
notaskbar = true
bold = true
blinks = true
scroll_on_key = true
bell = false
run_command = false
pinned = false
animation = false

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TWINKLE: I use gizmo with either Ekiga, or twinkle as my mac using friends use it. I use these instructions that I found on the gizmo forums.
http://forum.gizmoproject.com/viewtopic ... 6bc447ec53

I am using Twinkle 0.9 for what is worth.

Here's my config:

Your Name: Anything you like
User name: your voip number so something like 17471234567
Domain: proxy01.sipphone.com

Realm: empty
Authentication name: again your voip number
Password: your gizmo password

Nothing under the SIP server tab, other than telling it to register at startup.

NOTE: Under registrar I had to put: proxy01.sipphone.com before it would work for me.

In the NAT Tab I have the following:

USE STUN

STUN Server: stun01.sipphone.com

NOTE: If any has an imac/emac with firewire and wants to know how to set up the isight webcam for ekiga just ask.

DRIVEL:

I use drivel with my wordpress page, not that I post much. I mostly use my site as a centralised personal linux how to store. Anyway enough "blethering"

from: http://www.fsckin.com/2007/10/08/how-to ... wordpress/

Enter your user name and password. Change the type to Moveable Type, and then change the Server address to http://www.yourblog.com/path_to_blog_in ... xmlrpc.php

Click Log In, and you’ll be presented with the main screen:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PODRACER:

On running the command

CODE:
~$ podracer

A directory called .podracer will be created. And you will be asked it you want to subscribe to a sample of podcasts. I received this message.

You haven't subscribed to any podcasts.
Would you like a sample subscription file? [Y/N] n

As I answered n I got this.

Please create a file called /home/ok/.podracer/subscriptions and add the feeds for the
podcasts you want to receive. You may also add comments proceeded by
hash marks, (#) to make a note of the name of each podcast or any other
information you may wish to add to your subscription file.

Here is an example of feeds I added to my subscriptions file.

http://www.lugradio.org/episodes.ogg.rss
http://www.thelinuxlink.net/tllts/tllts.rss

For more info in a terminal type "man podracer"

HPODDER:

On running the command

CODE:

~$ hpodder

I recieved this message.

Hello! Welcome to hpodder!

It looks like this is your first time running hpodder, so we're going
to take care of a few very quick matters.

First, where would you like to store your downloaded podcast episodes?
You can just press Enter to accept the default location in the brackets,
or enter your own location (full path, please!)

Download Location [/home/ok/podcasts]:

OK! Last question: Would you like hpodder to
automatically subscribe you to a few sample podcasts? This could be a nice
way to see what's out there. You can always remove these or add your own
later.

Subscribe to sample podcasts? [Y/n] n

I answered n and got.

OK, as you wish, I won't add the sample subscriptions.
You can find the list of samples later in the hpodder
manual.

OK, hpodder is ready to run! Each time you want to
download new episodes, just run hpodder. If you let me subscribe you
to episodes, type hpodder and hit Enter to start the podcasts downloading!

Don't forget to check the hpodder manual for more tips on hpodder!

NOTE: to see hpodder help enter

CODE:

hpodder lscommands

To download use command for e.g

CODE:

hpodder add http://feeds.feedburner.com/linuxreality-mp3

NOTE: if you dont want to download all the episodes, quit out and run

CODE: hpodder update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALPLAYER: set-up for ppc.

NOTE: REALPLAYER IS NOT A DEBIAN PACKAGE. AND IT IS NOT “LIBRE” SOFTWARE.

Taken from here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ

RealPlayer requires a couple of packages from ubuntu/debian. Please do this first:

sudo apt-get install libstdc++5 libstdc++5-3.3-dev

Now, download Realplayer 10.0.5 for PowerPC Linux here: [WWW] https://player.helixcommunity.org/2005/downloads/

Look for the "RealPlayer 10.0.5 Gold 06/24/2005" "Installer link (experimental)" for Linux-ppc, about halfway down the page on the right.

Download the file. It will probably download to your Desktop.

Open a terminal, and change your location to the Desktop:

cd Desktop

and enter.

NOTE: If you are using a window manager make the location your home directory.

Now type the following and press enter to make the installer executable. [Alternatively, you can right click on the file, and go to Properties>Permissions> Check 'Execute' box.]

chmod +x realplay-10.0.5.756-linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-powerpc.bin

Then to run the installer, type this in the terminal:

sudo ./realplay-10.0.5.756-linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-powerpc.bin

and hit enter.

When it asks for the install directory, type /opt/RealPlayer

When it ask about configuring system wide links: hit enter. Defaults are fine.

Type realplay in a terminal and RealPlayer will start.

NOTE: Depending on where you get your media (I use the bbc) will influence which codecs setup is best for you. I noticed if use the firefox plugin MediaPlayerConnectivity or the mplayer plugin one of them does affect realplayer on my main system. e.g. the only time realplayer video worked perfectlly was when iceweasel crashed and I used epiphany browser. I still keep realplayer around as sometimes its the only way for me to listen to bbc radio.

I'm sure there are typo's and errors lurking in this how to some where. If there are parts that seem unclear please point them out so they can be fixed and the how to improved.

Cheers.
Last edited by oswaldkelso on 2012-08-22 09:03, edited 15 times in total.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

jammy_4041

A Great Tutorial

#2 Post by jammy_4041 »

This tutorial got me into Debian (and Linux for that matter) on the Power PC architecture. I was trying, for a long time, to get Xubuntu running on my iMac G3 (350MHz, Slot-Loading) and Debian but failed.

Thanks Olwald Kelso for dedicating so much time to create the guide

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#3 Post by oswaldkelso »

Thank you for your kind words. Made my day. I was starting to wonder if it had been of use to anyone :)

The imac is back in my possession and still running fine, though with a larger 40gb Hard drive. It's running Debian Lenny with Blackbox / roxfiler as well as a choice of e17 from experimental, xfce, and flavour of the moment lxde.

I was thinking of updating the how to for Lenny when it moves from testing to stable. Though at the moment I'm not convinced Lenny is an improvement over Etch for such an old machine. There comes a time when old machines need to be frozen and my 333 is very near that point.
Free Software Matters

Bro.Tiag

#4 Post by Bro.Tiag »

oswaldkelso wrote:Thank you for your kind words. Made my day. I was starting to wonder if it had been of use to anyone :)
Well just so you know, I recently scored an eMac and already have bookmarked your fine post as a resource to use for installing debian on it. I have yet to do the install due to other priorities, when I do I'll let ya know.

Cheers

rickh

#5 Post by rickh »

I don't own, nor ever expect to own a PPC, but I think that if I did, this howto would be just what I needed to get started.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

jammy_4041

Re: Guide

#6 Post by jammy_4041 »

The refresh rates were the only thing holding me back, but when I looked back, I discovered where I was but now I can have a GUI.

It's amazing to think, after 10 years, these computers (macs) can still be given a new lease of life.

jammy_4041

Parted

#7 Post by jammy_4041 »

I have just installed panther and I have resized the HFS+ Partition.

The version of Parted on the Business Card CD 1.7.1-5.1 which means it is able to resize HFS+ partitions.

You will need to disable journaling on Mac OS X using Disk Utiliy, Sometimes you have to enable journaling to disable journaling.

Insert the Business Card CD.

Follow all instructions until you get to the partitioner.

Select "Go Back"
Select "Excecute a Shell"
Type

parted
then type

print
A table will appear. The partition you will want to resize will be marked "HFS+". This is your Mac OS X partition. You will also want to write where it starts. This will usually be in megabytes. Then you will have to specify what the end size is going to be.

your command will be

resize MINOR_NUMBER_HERE START_BLOCK_SIZE_FROM_PRINT_OUTPUT NEW_END_BLOCK_SIZE

It is a good idea to specify the commands in kilobytes, so you will have to do a little bit of maths.

Size in Megabytes or Gigabytes / 1.024 = Size in Kilobytes.

Then press enter. It took about 2 minutes on my iMac G3 to resize my 40GB partition to 20GB.

Then go Back to the partitioning section. Select Guided Partitioning and then Use Largest Continuous Free Space. Then Proceed as normal.

jammy_4041

#8 Post by jammy_4041 »

I have noticed that you have put the refresh times the other way around.
The vertical refresh rate on the iMac should read 75-117 and the horizontal 58-62.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#9 Post by oswaldkelso »

jammy_4041 wrote:I have noticed that you have put the refresh times the other way around.
The vertical refresh rate on the iMac should read 75-117 and the horizontal 58-62.
Thank you. Edited. A classic case of one of my putting words the wrong way around moments :)

As a matter of interest in Lenny the Horizsync seems ok even at 30-65 but most of the VertRefresh settings I've seen seem to be 75-117. I have no idea if having a wide range is good or detrimental
Last edited by oswaldkelso on 2008-08-25 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
Free Software Matters

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#10 Post by oswaldkelso »

Bro.Tiag wrote:
Well just so you know, I recently scored an eMac and already have bookmarked your fine post as a resource to use for installing debian on it. I have yet to do the install due to other priorities, when I do I'll let ya know.

Cheers
Your welcome. I can see I'll have to tidy it up a bit as I have noticed a few things that will be incorrect when Lenny is stable.

Re: emac and X

edit: This is re the ati 7500 video card that is in most but not all emacs. early models had a different card.

My daughter has mine now running Etch. There was a Bug in X. I have no Idea if the xorg bug has been fixed in Lenny but see the below threads to get X of sorts if not.

Bug #457612 in lenny, X works but the screen is not central

.http://www.debian.org/Bugs/

see:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=26577

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=27139

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

http://www.my2bits.org/?p=52

this is my xorg.conf

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
BusID "PCI:0:16:0"
Option "UseFBDev" "true"
Option "ConnectorTable" "100,1,0,1,108,2,0,1"
Option "ReverseDDC" "true"
Option "AGPMode" "4"
# Option "MergedXinerama" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Modeline "800x600_112.00" 76.84 800 848 936 1072 600 601 604 640 -hsync +vsync
Modeline "1024x768_89.00" 99.07 1024 1088 1200 1376 768 769 772 809 -hsync +vsync
Modeline "1152x870_80.00" 113.11 1152 1224 1352 1552 870 871 874 911 -hsync +vsync
Modeline "1280x960_72.00" 124.54 1280 1368 1504 1728 960 961 964 1001 -hsync +vsync

# Option "PreferredMode" "800x600_112.00"
# Option "PreferredMode" "1024x768_89.00"
# Option "PreferredMode" "1152x870_80.00 +40+20"
Option "PreferredMode" "1280x960_72.00"

EndSection

Section "Screen"
EndSection

###end####

If it's still broken? Jaco informed me that open suse did work with the new xorg and sent me a copy. Unfortunately my emac was at my daughters by then. let me know if you want it.

A very handy emac page with a few mods.

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eMac/eMac-upgrade.html

EDIT: I no longer have an emac at home but it seems a fix for the off set screen is at hand.

http://jeremy.visser.name/2009/02/20/ho ... deon-7500/

#
"…] Saturday, while talking to the friendly folks on #gentoo-powerpc, one of them pointed me to this page, which contained some ConnectorTable hacks. As it turned out, the hacks worked! Both internal and […]"
“You will notice that the photo on this page depicts the eMac with the picture off-centre. This is because the author uses -HSync +Vsync in all his modelines — this is wrong! Use +HSync +Vsync, and your picture will be in the centre of the screen.â€
Last edited by oswaldkelso on 2009-02-23 23:44, edited 1 time in total.
Free Software Matters

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#11 Post by oswaldkelso »

rickh wrote:I don't own, nor ever expect to own a PPC, but I think that if I did, this howto would be just what I needed to get started.
Thanks rickh. I know your a power user and as such your encouraging comments are especially appreciated. I'm well aware I'm not the most technical user and this forum can be an intimidating place for the non-techie. It took me awhile to adjust to its ways, and realise that as a Debian user who did want to try to give back. This was the place to do it.

My next project will be getting Debian on my new Acer one A150L. If I succeed I shall do another how to.

cheers
Free Software Matters

jeanna

#12 Post by jeanna »

Hi
First thing, thank you for your detailed description.

I followed (as well as I follow anything, I guess,) and I may have everything installed.

But, I may not.

The trouble is, I cannot see the first letter or the bottom line of the page! (or the other 2 margins either, but I don't care about them.)

This is probably a problem with my screen.

So, since I cannot read the command line or my own typing! without hitting return at least once, and I must guess at the first letter of each line. AND I am a noob. I am asking for help.

Imac 350 350hz.
I think everything installed. I didn't get a chance to make any partition decisions, so I am guessing these were from a default file.

I installed the latest business card version as you said.

So, Is there a command to change where the lines of print are located... like over 72 pixels and up 1/2 page... or something like that?

Thank you,

jeanna

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#13 Post by oswaldkelso »

Unlike ordinary PCs, Apple in their wisdom didn't put any external screen adjusters on the imac or emac models. They use a software solution via OS9/OSX and their MacTest pro CD, that of course is no good to you.

Apple service manual for my imac 333 states

Screen geometry is off
adjustment (display is off
center, sides or top of the
screen are not straight,
etc.)

Adjust the screen geometry using the Display Adjustment

Utility on the MacTest Pro CD. (See “Geometryâ€
Free Software Matters

jeanna

#14 Post by jeanna »

Thank you Oswaldo for this quick answer.

I guess I will type blind, for a while. I am a lousy typer and I feel a little lost in the fog as it is, but I assume once a program loads that offers some kind of frame for the typing, I will be able to move it around or IT will bring in the margins a bit just by its being there.

In fact do you have a suggestion for an immediate installation for this ?

I can't figure out what is installed. I didn't realize I had to be online to install everything so I got things in there in a different order. Right now, I was hoping to find out what is on there so I can add what is missing if anything.

I am only about 1/4 of the way down your instruction page and I will try a few relaunches and see how it goes.

Thanks again,

jeanna

Bro.Tiag

#15 Post by Bro.Tiag »

I'm a wee bit confused. You start out with this:
Hi
First thing, thank you for your detailed description.

I followed (as well as I follow anything, I guess,) and I may have everything installed.

But, I may not.
You then say in your next post:
I am only about 1/4 of the way down your instruction page and I will try a few relaunches and see how it goes.
I do not mean to nit pick, but if you follow the instructions as they are written and through to the end you should wind up with debian on your iMac.

After re-reading your two post's I'm not really sure where it is that you are and thus, what a solution could be. Have you gone through the whole install process and are now stuck at a command line prompt in which you can not see the line to type at. Or are you some where else in the install process?

Cheers
ps - you could install screen and run it. It starts with the prompt at the top of the display. Mind you it will work it's way to the bottom, but you can clear it with clear.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#16 Post by oswaldkelso »

Hi. I understand your need to build a light system considering your machine, and you can do that, but because of your screen problems the easyway is do a default install.

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekl ... pc/iso-cd/

Choose the xfce - lxde if you want a prebuilt light system, then once your up and running you can create your custom system in comfort with no blind typing.

debian-testing-powerpc-xfce+lxde-CD-1.iso 26-Jan-2009 10:47 648M

The lxde option did not exist when I wrote the how to and to be honest I was going to point people to the lxde option when lenny goes stable, a matter of weeks. Its not as light but close and much easier to get you up and running. Espescialy for new users.

Note: should you go that route X will fail! the fix is easy but you do need to know how.

Follow these steps to fix xorg.conf:

After booting is complete:

Type: ctrl-option-F1 (should give you a command prompt, may take a couple of tries)
Login as root:

Type: su
root Password:xxxxxxx
nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf (return)

In the Monitor section, change “HorizSyncâ€
Free Software Matters

jeanna

#17 Post by jeanna »

Bro.Tiag wrote:I'm a wee bit confused. You start out with this:

After re-reading your two post's I'm not really sure where it is that you are and thus, what a solution could be. Have you gone through the whole install process and are now stuck at a command line prompt in which you can not see the line to type at. Or are you some where else in the install process?

Cheers
ps - you could install screen and run it. It starts with the prompt at the top of the display. Mind you it will work it's way to the bottom, but you can clear it with clear.
WOW, screen worked.
Thank you soo much.

When I started to post I thought I had installed the whole thing, but by the second post I was starting to think I had not. I typed that whole list at once as it was written from apt-get xorg to the last plugins one. I had made a typo on filer and something else which it told me about, so I thought everything else was somewhere already installed. But I was having a hard time for lots of reasons, the first of which is that I couldn't read what I typed.

I don't know what I have installed.

I think/hope if I have already installed something it won't automatically get reinstalled without at least a complaint.

So, my plan is to go through that apt-get list once again one at a time.

Not everything is working as described, I think.
For instance,
I have not been able to tick off things on a list using the space bar. The space bar so far has only acted like a down arrow.

The internet configs seem to have been installed at least enough to use the internet, but there is a whole list of deferred items in the config?? (I think it is called that... maybe reconfig?) category

Go ahead and pick those nits. I need some straightening out. I am really new to linux but I am determined, so go ahead...

Thanks again Bro.Tiag,

jeanna

jeanna

#18 Post by jeanna »

Thanks Oswald,
The problem with 648M is that it will probably take over 6 hours to download.

And, I haven't yet found a place that talks to rank noob's.

For instance, when you say " in the monitor section"... I haven't been able to move around yet. I know this is such a basic thing, nobody thinks of it . I did OK with your instructions, I thought, because I just typed one line after another. But when the pretty blue screen showed up with a big list and all I could do was go up the list or down it, I didn't have the knowledge of what to do or what it was asking for. (add to that the problem of not being able to see it.)

(no, I am not stupid! I just don't know where to look.)

Anyway, I will look around the ppc link again. I probably just missed the beginners page.

Thanks

jeanna

jeanna

#19 Post by jeanna »

Well, I got farther this time.

I spent all day looking for other help and really guys, this is it, so I am sorry if I am a pest.

I installed the "get-apt" list 4 or 5 at a time. I got some odd warnings, which I won't go into yet, and in the end I lost the screen.

Good! that means something got installed!

But then when login as su and doing the fix that begins with nano/etc/...
The response was "no such file or directory".

I retyped it 3 times checking very carefully, but no such file or directory was found.

----

help!

I can get the screen back with ctrl+ alt+ f1 and I get the whole page, then at shutdown, the screen goes blank again until it shuts off the green light.

----

BTW one of the really odd messages was the one that tried to make ivman into a user and complained that the home directory didn't belong to him. egads, I guess not!

Should I wipe this and start over?

thank you for any help,

jeanna

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#20 Post by oswaldkelso »

Hi. One way or another either you or I have missed a space

nano/etc/... 
should be

nano  /etc/...
Ok crash course. This is probably to much and not enough all at once so feel free to ignore it. Just ask here again.

To help you with commands you can view this webpage in a browser. w3m browser is installed by default (I think?) if not

apt-get install w3m
using it. look at

man w3m
and

w3m --help
browse with it

w3m   http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/
You can down load it. put it on a pendrive so you have it all the time from here.
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/download.html
You will need to untar it as its compressed

Tar file can come compressed or uncompressed. Generally that are compressed using gzip or bzip2. The program, tar, will uncompress both types and extract the files from archive.
Difficulty {{{difficulty}}}
About:Ratings

==Step

1. Type at the command prompt

tar xvzf file-1.0.tar.gz - for a gzip compress tar file (.tgz or .tar.gz)
tar xvjf file-1.0.tar.bz2 - for a bzip2 compressed tar file (.tbz or .tar.bz2)
tar xvf file-1.0.tar - for uncompressed tar file (.tar)

* x = eXtract, this indicated an extraction ( c = create to create )
* v = verbose (optional) the files with relative locations will be displayed.
* z = gzip-ped; j = bzip2-zipped
* f = from/to file ... (what is next after the f is the archive file)
2. The files will be extracted in the current folder (most of the times in a folder with the name 'file-1.0').

[edit]
open multiple tar.bz2 archives from current dir

find -name "*.tar.bz2" -exec tar -xvf {} \;
Free Software Matters