(solved) How do I get a GUI on a new install

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

(solved) How do I get a GUI on a new install

Postby sdibaja » 2005-10-24 00:10

I am not a command line guy....
I just got 3.1r0a installed and all I get is a command prompt... how do I get KDE or GNOME?
Peter
Last edited by sdibaja on 2018-01-23 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
sdibaja

Postby lacek » 2005-10-24 10:35

Do this:
Code: Select all
apt-get install x-window-system-core kde

If you prefer gnome, you may install it instead of kde, or you can install both.
The install procedure will as you the details of your video card, keyboard and mouse. Some hints:
- PS/2 mice are attached to /dev/psaux.
- USB mice are usually attached to /dev/input/mouse0
- Be sure to select the correct video driver. If you select an inappropriate one, X won't start. If you are not sure which driver to use, ask here.
- If you are completely helpless, use the 'vesa' driver. It should work on any card.
- Other than the things listed above, you can accept the default answers, but be sure to actually read what the installer ask; the default maybe isn't what you want.

After you done, you have two options.
The first one is to edit the ~/.xinitrc file, and write the 'exec startkde' or 'exec gnome-session' lines to it, depending on what you want to start. After this, if you issue the 'startx' command, a GUI will hopefully start.
The second option is to install a login manager, which is probably the more convenient choice, and is good for most people. Simply install the kdm or the gdm package (the former is KDE's login manager, the latter is of Gnome). No matter which one you choose, you can always choose your GUI upon login, if you installed both KDE and Gnome.
lacek
Moderator Team Member

Good tip!--how to configure video?

Postby bcinteractive » 2005-11-09 09:26

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, it helps me a lot!

One thing though. I don't seem to expand my resolution to more than 800x600.

I know it's more than that because I already saw it run on a Mandrake/Mandriva install. (I didn't install this, someone I know but can't get in touch now)

I prefer Debian but I don't know how to configure the video. My video is SIS on board an ASUS Petium 4 motherboard.

Thanks
:) Things Change
:) Just Do It
Heavy Gnome Desktop User
bcinteractive

Postby lacek » 2005-11-10 09:33

To reconfigure your X server, run the
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
command. You, since you have a sis card, should choose the "sis" driver at the very first question of the configurator. Be sure to select the appropriate resolutions later as well.
Last edited by lacek on 2005-11-13 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
lacek
Moderator Team Member

Postby Mexican_Pirate » 2005-11-13 02:34

I'll have to watch this topic, this guy has the same problem I do.
Arr, ese!
Mexican_Pirate

Guys, Thanks!

Postby bcinteractive » 2005-11-15 07:08

Hi,

Got my X-Windows running just right - for a normal office user. Pardon me if I'm not yet into Linux lingo. I'm just beginning to be a linux user. I want to be a guru someday. (ASAP! if possible - but on my own pace.)

I have a lot more concerns except, I think they are considered as a new topic so I got to look for my concern in other topics (if they are present) or start a new one.

Thanks, Guys!
:) Things Change
:) Just Do It
Heavy Gnome Desktop User
bcinteractive

SiS on board chip!

Postby Foxmuldar » 2005-12-25 02:43

I too have a video is SIS on board chip, when i chose SiS it ask me for the BusID? where do i find the BusID?

Thanks in advance,
foxmuldar,
Foxmuldar

Postby lacek » 2005-12-27 18:10

If you have only one video card, you probably don't need the bus ID, so leave it blank.
Anyway, if you really need to know, the output of "X -scanpci" writes it into the X log file (/var/log/XFree86.(display).log).
lacek
Moderator Team Member

Postby chinaski » 2006-02-01 22:56

hi,

I have installed debian-31r0a-amd64-netinst.iso and missed the part about installing the window manager

actually I didn't know how to select the desktop environment option during the installation process

anyway, I followed the advice suggested by lacek and typed that command, and installation went on without asking me any question, and at the end of the pricess I get this error

Failed to fetch http://ftp.belnet.be/debian-amd64/debia ... -1_all.deb MD5Sum mismatch

and suggest me to run apt-get update or --fix-missing which I did and there was a kernel to install (did not write the version number sorry) and then to reboot

after reboot I typed startx from root but got command not found

what did I do wrong?
chinaski

Postby bluesdog » 2006-02-02 07:44

Try changing the repository in your /etc/apt/sources.list

You could also try downloading the .deb package -- from a different repository, since you're getting an md5 checksum error.

Installing downloaded packages may be difficult due to dependency issues, so changing repositories is probably your best bet

You can find other mirrors here: http://www.debian.org/mirror/list Or google for kdemultimedia_3.3.2-1_all.deb looking for an URI that starts, 'index_of'...

If you change /etc/apt/sources.list, do apt-get update, then apt-get install kdemultimedia

If you download the package, from a terminal, as root

# dpkg -i kdemultimedia_3.3.2-1_all.deb

If startx command isn't recognized, I think it means the xserver has not been fully installed.

To find out if something is only partially installed
dpkg -C
no output means no problem, otherwise a descriptive error will display.

Also, try
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
instead

Once you get it working, you can install either gdm or kdm, as suggested.
bluesdog

Postby chinaski » 2006-02-02 10:38

thank you bluesdog

I manually downloaded kdemultimedia and installed it, but when I type startx I get:

Using authority file /root/ .Xauthority
Writing authority file /root/ .Xauthority
Using authority file /root/ .Xauthority
Writing authority file /root/ .Xauthority
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 2: /usr/bin/X11/X: No such file or directory
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 2: /usr/bin/X11/X: cannot execute: No such file or directory
xinit: Server error

maybe it would be easier to reinstall the whole system, but I have a problem during the installation process

after the first part of installation, after the reboot, when I have to choose the type of installation I would like, I do not know how to mark my choice (desktop machine)

I tried shift+ins - ctrl+ins and things like that, but man no way for me to mark it

I feel dumb to ask it, but how do I mark my choice?

edit: by typing
apt-get install x-window-system kde
without the 'core' it worked ;)
chinaski

Postby bluesdog » 2006-02-02 19:11

chinaski wrote:...but how do I mark my choice?

edit: by typing
apt-get install x-window-system kde
without the 'core' it worked ;)

To mark checkboxes and the like when the mouse isn't available, such as during non-gui installation, or when running the dialog version of debconf, try overall navigation with the <tab> key, the up/down arrow keys, and use the spacebar to select/deselect

Good to hear you got it running!
bluesdog

Postby Guest » 2006-02-02 21:07

I just attempted to install debian unstable, taking the defaults, the VESA driver works but displays in 640x480. On windows the (flat screen) display is 1024x768 at 60 or 75 hz.

The chipset is intel 82915g express chipset family, which appears to have intel downloads, an old 2004 rpm and a tar.gz which appears to be for XFree86 rather than X.org .

Is anyone else in the same boat, and are there easy answers, beyond maybe the next distribution will install smoothly?

Thank you for your time,
Turloch

Postby Guest » 2006-02-03 17:19

f in doubt ask someone (thats how I got the info) , basically as root: on the console
# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
click all the defaults 8 meg for video (on my machine, it is a bios setting)
choose the i810 video card driver

ctrl alt delete switchs the gui display off.

#su - username
> startx
Regards,
Turloch

Postby bluesdog » 2006-02-03 19:21

Glad you found the answer.

I tried to post a reply last night, but the forum went down

:)
bluesdog

Next

Return to General Questions