Perfect Xfce desktop install

Share your own howto's etc. Not for support questions!

Re: DSL-style system monitor & tweaks

Postby Wolven » 2008-08-17 08:37

nopposan wrote:Also, I was wondering if you can help me to get that nifty no-frills system monitor that is always showing on the DSL (Damn Small Linux) desktop. I really like it, but I don't know what it's called.

I guess you're referring to Conky. Note that you need to configure Conky to use it's own window in Xfce

In the .conkyrc:
# Create own window instead of using desktop (required in nautilus)
own_window yes

Also, if you want the window border to disappear you need to make it transparent.
# Use pseudo transparency with own_window?
own_window_transparent yes
Wolven

Postby vlad59 » 2008-08-17 10:35

Last edited by vlad59 on 2010-11-15 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Pinky and the brain forever. Howtos about Lenny, XFCE, ...
vlad59

Postby Wolven » 2008-08-17 13:04

vlad59 wrote:I made a fast howto : http://slucas.wikidot.com/en:xfce-conky

Nice. I've linked to your guide in the new Conky section of my howto.
Wolven

shutdown-helper & conky

Postby nopposan » 2008-08-17 15:37

Yeah, that's it! Thanks, I didn't realize you'd already discussed what I was talking about here.

Oh, and thank you for the reminder on the shutdown-helper. I'm considering an upgrade to Lenny and, I think, a more recent version of Xfce, however. Also, I'm wondering if I might install a 64bit kernel on this iMac G3. I guess it would speed things up a bit, although I'm not sure what the system bus speed is anyway and the last I heard Debian was still working on the issue of enabling 64bit processing in powerpc's.

More later.

Cheers!
Don't Panic!
nopposan

shutdown-helper

Postby nopposan » 2008-08-18 13:38

Thanks. 'Upgraded to Lenny and the shutdwon-helper is working.
Don't Panic!
nopposan

xfce automount

Postby nopposan » 2008-08-19 13:56

What application and/or configuration should I be using to automount usb devices such as memory sticks?

Thanks.
Don't Panic!
nopposan

Postby vlad59 » 2008-08-19 14:06

I also made an howto about that : http://blog.slucas.fr/en/debian/lenny-xfce-automount :wink:
Last edited by vlad59 on 2010-11-15 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
Pinky and the brain forever. Howtos about Lenny, XFCE, ...
vlad59

That worked!

Postby nopposan » 2008-08-19 21:22

Thank you!
Don't Panic!
nopposan

Re: Perfect Xfce desktop install

Postby khentiamentiu » 2008-08-21 05:30

Wolven wrote:Perfect Xfce desktop install - version 0.1.4

Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is permitted in any medium, provided this notice is preserved.

This guide will show you how to install the Xfce desktop environment on Debian (Etch) without getting GNOME in the process. It will also show you how to tweak the Xfce install to become a "perfect" desktop environment.
The guide will also suggest a list of applications to install in addition to Xfce, to make it a fully functional desktop install.

This is great if you have a working network interface, but let's suppose I'm starting with an old laptop and a 802.11g wireless pcmcia adapter with the atheros chipset. I've already found out that the debian etch and lenny xfce installation CDs can't get this wireless adapter working. My solution has been to install Simply Mepis with KDE, then use synaptic to install xfce. What I really was trying to do, though, was install a lightweight xfce/debian distro from scratch. Any suggestions, or should I just stick with Mepis? It's a nice distro, but this old Armada e500 laptop is a bit slow.

Thanks!
khentiamentiu

Postby pcalvert » 2008-08-22 11:09

Hi khentiamentiu,

I'd stick with MEPIS. It's based on and compatible with Debian, so I don't see any compelling reason to abandon it. However, if you are still using KDM to log in then I would change that right away. Configure the system so that it boots to a text login prompt or install a light display manager like SLiM. Using qingy is another option.

Phil
"I never had an interest in being a mayor 'cause that's a real job. You have to produce.
That's why I was able to be a senator for 36 years." - U.S. Vice President Joe Biden
pcalvert

Postby julian67 » 2008-08-22 11:27

If you want something very light with Xfce and you've found that Mepis installer and tools make your task easier I'd very strongly suggest getting yourself antiX

antiX is a fast, lightweight and easy to install linux live CD distribution based on MEPIS for Intel-AMD x86 compatible systems. antiX offers users the "Magic of Mepis" in an environment suitable for old computers. So don't throw away that old computer yet! The goal of antiX is to provide a light, but fully functional and flexible free operating system for both newcomers and experienced users of Linux. It should run on most computers, ranging from 64MB old PII 266 systems with pre-configured 128MB RAM to the latest powerful boxes. 128MB RAM is recommended for antiX. antiX can also be used as a fast-booting rescue cd.

antiX-M7 will not run (yet) on older processors such as Pentium I (it seems that PII is ok, but PII MMX may not boot), AMD K5, and AMD K6 as it uses an up to date i686 kernel. antiX-Spartacus should.

At the moment antiX comes as a full distro (less than 400MB) and as a base distro (c200MB). For those who wish to have control over the install, use antiX-base.

Present released version: antiX-M7.5 Toussaint Louverture

It contains all Mepis tools/customisations but without the weight of KDE.

I've run antiX in the past, it's incredibly fast and there is a great guide on adding Xfce to Mepis http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11077 which I used.
julian67

Postby khentiamentiu » 2008-08-22 19:55

julian67 wrote:If you want something very light with Xfce and you've found that Mepis installer and tools make your task easier I'd very strongly suggest getting yourself [url=http://antix.mepis.org/index.php
It contains all Mepis tools/customisations but without the weight of KDE.

I've run antiX in the past, it's incredibly fast and there is a great guide on adding Xfce to Mepis http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11077 which I used.

That's great advice. Thank you! I like Mepis, except for the speed, particularly the fact that it brought up the pcmcia wireless adapter up without my having to do anything but install the distro. I hope the installation procedure for XFCE is well integrated with the existing Mepis aps.
khentiamentiu

Postby teliparas » 2008-12-13 10:09

hi guys
i m a happy debian user for over a year and i have tasted all the DE (kde gnome xfce4)
personally i love gnome but i also can live with kde
i tried 2 times the xfce4 but i was disappointed
WHY?
because the xfce4 is light but not functional
if i try to add some functionallity then then it becomes heavy
WHAT I LOVED?
thunar
it s the perfet file-manager it can do anything , it s very fast and light
(i use it with e17)
on conclusion xfce4 it s a half gome (at least for me)

ps i think that this period it s the best for gnome because they devs mainly bugs-fixing it and became more and more mature .anyway i ll give to xfce4 a 3 try 8)
teliparas

Postby julian67 » 2008-12-13 13:28

I'm not sure what is supposed to be missing from Xfce. Thunar is fairly empty by default but pretty much any feature you like can be very simply integrated with custom actions, no scripting required.

The default browser is a definitely a work in progress but there's always Firefox/Iceweasel.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"
julian67

Postby teliparas » 2008-12-13 21:15

julian67 wrote:I'm not sure what is supposed to be missing from Xfce. Thunar is fairly empty by default but pretty much any feature you like can be very simply integrated with custom actions, no scripting required.

The default browser is a definitely a work in progress but there's always Firefox/Iceweasel.

first of all i must declare that i agree with wolven that is good choice to use gtk apps with xfce because there are no need to run extra qt libs
on the other hand the use of kde as desktop enviroment resault to use only qt apps
i like this policy because leads to very light and intergrated enviroments

my previous post about missing fanctionallity in xfce4 aim to underline that
YES XFCE4 IS LIGHT BUT WHEN YOU ADD SOME NICE(+HEAVY) GTK APPS IT BECOME AS FAST AS GNOME
just try
#aptitude install firestarter
in gnome (=+1 dependency)
in xfce4(=+32 dependecies if remember right) :)
so if you try to add some other gtk apps the resalt will be a DE as slow as gnome
thats the reason i dislike xfce4
the only reason to use someone xfce is an old PC
and also he must choose carefully the apps (eg evince -> xpdf pidgin->amsn openoffice->abiword deluge->transmition and so go on) :D
the resalt will be a fast DE but with limited functionallity :D
teliparas

PreviousNext

Return to Docs, Howtos, Tips & Tricks