More ATI/Mesa problems

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

More ATI/Mesa problems

Postby superstubby » 2008-06-16 17:41

Hi, relative noob here...

I had been running Etch on a AMD64 with Radeon X1650 and ALSA supported audio card. I bought a laptop and had issues with hardware in Etch. So, I decided to upgrade to Lenny. I noticed a big difference as a majority of my hardware worked "out of the box". So, I decided I would upgrade my main computer (AMD64 listed above) to Lenny x86. Didn't have any problems on the first install. Got all the drivers loaded and working well. A kernel update came down the line and I had to reinstall all the drivers again, no problems. However, after a month or so, I noticed in the gnome system monitor that it was only recognizing one of two cores and only 1GB of 2GB memory. I found a similar problem somewhere in this forum which suggested recompiling the kernel with hardware specific options enabled. Had no problems there either. Both cores are now recognized and all available RAM is recognized. I got the ALSA driver running again, but I can't get the fglrx driver properly installed.

I realized this is a similar thread to many others. But none of the other fixes seems to be working for me. The last time the kernel went from 2.22 to 2.24 all I had to do was run the module assistant and everything was fine. Now, it's not working.

Please, forgive any missing information....

Code: Select all
fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.3)

m-a prepare
Getting source for kernel version: 2.6.24-custom1
Kernel headers available in /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-custom1
apt-get install build-essential
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
build-essential is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  makepasswd gnome-keyring-manager netpbm libcrypt-passwdmd5-perl libnetpbm10
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Done!

m-a a-i fglrx starts the interactive mode but fails telling me to check /var/cache/modass/fglrx-kernel-src.buildlog.2.6.24-custom1.1213623218.

The cati'ing of that file is so long I don't know what to do with it. (well over 2000 lines)

Let me know if there is anymore info I need to post

Thanks
superstubby

Driver Updates

Postby RadioactiveShooter » 2008-06-16 18:27

Have you updated the driver? And if so, did you remove the old *.debs before installing the new ones?
RadioactiveShooter

Re: Driver Updates

Postby superstubby » 2008-06-16 18:59

RadioactiveShooter wrote:Have you updated the driver? And if so, did you remove the old *.debs before installing the new ones?

Thanks...

I originally installed the proprietary driver direct from ATI's website. The update manager installed the Debian version soon after. One of the forums I viewed mentioned the order in which the xorg driver and ATI's driver where installed could be important. So, I completely removed both the xorg-ati driver and the flgrx packages including the src packages and reinstalled them in the suggested order with no change.

I'm not sure that this is what you are asking. I have wondered where the .deb files are stored when you use synaptic to dl packages. Honestly, I never really looked for them and just assumed that Debian/Gnome was smart enough to take care of itself. ...might be this is part of my problem.

Just in for info, in my /usr/src there is a fglrx-kernel-src .deb package for my custom kernel.
superstubby

Now purged apt...

Postby superstubby » 2008-06-17 22:06

Alrighty,

I purged all the fglrx packages and then ran: apt-get clean. I also cleared .deb files from the /usr/src directory and removed the /usr/src/modules/fglrx directory. Then, I rebooted the computer with a fresh xorg.conf file which used the vesa driver. Next, I used the terminal to re-install the fglrx packages.

Again, the module assistant will not complete: m-a a-i flgrx. Running fglrxinfo gives the same results listed above which shows the mesa driver being in control.

Is my custom kernel messing things up? I'm really lost.
superstubby

Postby rickh » 2008-06-17 23:07

Is my custom kernel messing things up?

Maybe. It wouldn't be too hard to install a 2.6.25 kernel from Sid along with Sid's fglrx drivers to try that.

It's been a long time since I worked regularly with ATI video, but a month or so ago, I did install the drivers in a Lenny system and had the opportunity to see that my old howto still worked for me. My theory is that it is always best to use the "Debian Way" if possible.

Getting a new kernel and booting into it is sure to provide you a clean environment for module building.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97
rickh

Hmmm...

Postby superstubby » 2008-06-18 00:30

It wouldn't be too hard to install a 2.6.25 kernel from Sid along with Sid's fglrx drivers to try that.

Yeah...*sighs*... just when I thought I was starting to figure this linux thing out...
Do you know, Rick, if 2.6.25 will correctly detect my RAM and CPU? (AMD64 5200+ 2.6Mhz dual-core, 2GB RAM) I would hate to have to do this all over again.

Digging around in the module buildlog, I noticed that something (whatever the module assistant is doing) is looking for files that aren't in the custom headers. For instance, the custom headers do not have a Makefile_32 which is in the regular linux headers. There's also a Makefile_32.cpu in the regular headers that's not in the custom ones. Just for giggles, I made a link called Makefile_32 to the custom Makefile. Instead of getting the "file not found" error I now get "too many files open".

This might sound strange... but the one of the things I really like about linux is that it takes me friggin' days to get stuff working sometimes. Suddenly, I figure it out and WHAM! I feel like I've accomplished something. Having said that, I would hate to feel like linux beat me finally. I would like to believe that it can do anything if I can only figure out how to do it...
superstubby

Postby rickh » 2008-06-18 00:39

Do you know, Rick, if 2.6.25 will correctly detect my RAM and CPU? (AMD64 5200+ 2.6Mhz dual-core, 2GB RAM)

It should. You don't say whether you're running 32 or 64-bit. The 64-bit kernel will certainly recognize it. If you're running a 32-bit, you need to get the -686 version. Do not make the mistake of thinking you can install a 64-bit kernel on top of a 32-bit system.

one of the things I really like about linux is that it takes me friggin' days to get stuff working sometimes. Suddenly, I figure it out and WHAM! I feel like I've accomplished something.

I am a retired mainframe programmer. I always said programming was 90% utter frustration, 10% absolute ecstasy. I loved it. Linux is like that, too, sometimes.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97
rickh

Important stuff...

Postby superstubby » 2008-06-18 00:47

Ooops...

I am currently running the 32 edition.

I think I'm gonna make a bunch of links to the files in the common linux headers and see what happens.
superstubby

Well...

Postby superstubby » 2008-06-18 01:09

That got rid of the errors on lines 19 and 20 of the buildlog...

that leaves... 9038-20 = one cuspidor chock full of goat urine more errors to go!
superstubby

I got it....

Postby superstubby » 2008-06-18 01:33

Whooohooo!!!! :D

I got it!
Alright...

As I said, I noticed a couple of files missing from the custom headers. So, I added links to the files in the common headers and still had somewhere over 9000 lines full of errors in the buildlog.
cd /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-custom1/arch/x86
ln /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-1-common/arch/x86/Makefile_32 Makefile_32
ln /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-1-common/arch/x86/Makefile_32.cpu Makefile_32.cpu

The next error listed in the buildlog had to do with a missing file /asm/unistd.h. After searching for a bit looking for this directory, I found it in the custom headers include directory. However, it was a link pointing to another directory asm-i86. There is no asm-i86, but there is asm-x86. So, I removed the asm link and created a new link asm -> asm-x86 and viola! It worked!
cd /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-custom1/include
rm asm
ln -s asm-x86 asm
m-a prepare
m-a a-i fglrx
modprobe fglrx
shutdown -r now
[upon reboot]
fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Radeon X1600 Series
OpenGL version string: 2.1.7415 Release

Whoopee! Thanks to those who replied...
superstubby

Return to Hardware