acrossl: No such file or directory

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

acrossl: No such file or directory

Postby jiml » 2005-12-30 00:06

I downloaded a program called acrossl (acrosslite) for diisplaying crossword puzzles from the NY Times. It is built for Linux, statically linked to the motif libraries. When I try to run it, I get:

bash: acrossl: No such file or directory.

If I put the executable in /usr/bin, I get

bash: /usr/bin/accrosl: No such file or directory.

Any idea what going on?

The documentation says it will run on an ELF system only. BTW, what is ELF as opposed to a.out? I keep seeing references to both with no explanation. I assume Debian 3.1 is ELF?

Thanks for any help.

Jim L
Seattle, WA
jiml
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 2005-12-29 23:56
Location: Seattle, WA USA

Postby domecq » 2005-12-30 01:29

How did you install it? From a tar or a deb file?

Domecq
User avatar
domecq
Moderator Team Member
 
Posts: 560
Joined: 2005-10-18 00:53
Location: Montréal, Canada

Postby Harold » 2005-12-30 02:03

I downloaded both versions from www.litsoft.com/across/alite/download.htm and had no luck getting either to work. Both were looking for libstdc++.so.2.8, which is OLD! Take a look at Gedam. I've no idea whether it's any good, but it is more recent.
Harold
 
Posts: 1501
Joined: 2005-01-07 00:15

Postby domecq » 2005-12-30 02:28

Grab libstdc++2.8 from potato.
User avatar
domecq
Moderator Team Member
 
Posts: 560
Joined: 2005-10-18 00:53
Location: Montréal, Canada

Postby jiml » 2005-12-30 07:36

domecq wrote:How did you install it? From a tar or a deb file?

Domecq


From a tar
jiml
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 2005-12-29 23:56
Location: Seattle, WA USA

Postby domecq » 2005-12-30 18:35

That's what I figured out (a tar) after checking the website.

You bumped on a dependency issue. acrossl "complained" that "libstdc++2.8" is not present in your system. You mentioned that it's an old version, and that's true. You can grab that from potato (an old version of Debian).

I hope that helps.

Bon Réveillon!

Domecq
User avatar
domecq
Moderator Team Member
 
Posts: 560
Joined: 2005-10-18 00:53
Location: Montréal, Canada

Postby jiml » 2005-12-30 20:25

domecq wrote:That's what I figured out (a tar) after checking the website.

You bumped on a dependency issue. acrossl "complained" that "libstdc++2.8" is not present in your system. You mentioned that it's an old version, and that's true. You can grab that from potato (an old version of Debian).

I hope that helps.

Bon Réveillon!

Domecq


Actually my error message was
Code: Select all
bash:  acrossl:  No such file or directory


I tried the gedam program and the krosslite - neither provides printing capability. Oh well, I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help
jiml
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 2005-12-29 23:56
Location: Seattle, WA USA

Postby domecq » 2005-12-30 20:28

Right... but, just curious, wouldn't the file name be instead 'accrossl'?

(bash: /usr/bin/accrosl: No such file or directory)
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind (Gandhi)
User avatar
domecq
Moderator Team Member
 
Posts: 560
Joined: 2005-10-18 00:53
Location: Montréal, Canada

Postby Harold » 2005-12-30 20:36

Three possibilities:
1. acrossl isn't actually in /usr/bin/ -- do ls -l /usr/bin/acrossl
2. acrossl is there but is not executable -- The left end of the previous command should display three "x" and the word acrossl should be green.
3. /usr/bin/ is not in your path (highly unlikely) -- do echo $PATH

Edit 1: libstdc++2.8 can be downloaded from this directory. It installs without problem in the current version of Debian, and acrossl launches after it is installed.

Edit 2: acrossl can be run from any directory by preceeding it with "./" as in ./acrossl
Harold
 
Posts: 1501
Joined: 2005-01-07 00:15

Postby jiml » 2005-12-31 00:52

Harold wrote:Three possibilities:
1. acrossl isn't actually in /usr/bin/ -- do ls -l /usr/bin/acrossl
2. acrossl is there but is not executable -- The left end of the previous command should display three "x" and the word acrossl should be green.
3. /usr/bin/ is not in your path (highly unlikely) -- do echo $PATH

Edit 1: libstdc++2.8 can be downloaded from this directory. It installs without problem in the current version of Debian, and acrossl launches after it is installed.

Edit 2: acrossl can be run from any directory by preceeding it with "./" as in ./acrossl


With acrossl in the current directory I get the error message when I enter ./acrossl. If I put it in /usr/bin and run it from my home directory I get:
Bash: /usr/bin/acrossl: No such file or directory.

The "x" bit is on - shown by ls -l, I even did chmod 777 acrossl with no result.
jiml
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 2005-12-29 23:56
Location: Seattle, WA USA

Postby Harold » 2005-12-31 00:56

I don't have a clue... :-(
Harold
 
Posts: 1501
Joined: 2005-01-07 00:15


Return to Desktop & Multimedia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

fashionable