IceWeasel... why those grey squares?

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

IceWeasel... why those grey squares?

Postby hkoster1 » 2008-08-14 09:34

Many web pages opened in latest IceWeasel version display large grey squares with an arrow in it. Clicking on it starts some advertisement, or a login window, or some video (like on the BBC news pages). I want to get rid of those grey squares, so I have already in Preferences -> Content unchecked the "Block popups" and checked "Load images automatically". This helps a bit, but a lot of those grey squares are still there. I have an account at T-Mobile but I can't login with IceWeasel because some popup blocks the login window, no way to move it.

FWIW, I also run latest FireFox in Mac OS X on my MacBook Pro, no such problems there. So, there must be some default settings in IceWeasel that cause these problems. Any hints would be appreciated.
Real Debian users don't do chat...
hkoster1

Postby Telemachus » 2008-08-14 10:36

That sounds like the new, built-in free Flash engine. See this post: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=29263
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System
Telemachus

Postby hkoster1 » 2008-08-14 11:29

Well, in that other thread you suggest installing flashplayer-mozilla, but I had that installed right off. The about:plugins page shows two instances of Shockwave Flash:
Code: Select all
File name: libswfdecmozilla.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r100

File name: npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124

while I installed only one.

Removing flashplayer-mozilla shows that the r100 player stays behind, so it came with IceWeasel. It has the problems I described as well. Installing flashplugin-nonfree gets rid of the grey boxes, but now shows a flash-window that covers the T-mobile login window.

You're right, it is a flash implementation problem, a regression for us Linux users...
hkoster1

Postby hkoster1 » 2008-08-14 11:37

Dashing ahead here... I removed all traces of libswfdecmozilla* from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins, leaving only flashplugin-nonfree in place (it provides the Flash 9.0 r124 version as well), no more grey boxes, but still overlapping flash boxes at T-mobile's login page. (I've already written them that they should not allow their IT-department to determine that only Microsoft and Apple customers can do business with them.)
hkoster1

Postby TRS-80 » 2008-08-14 11:39

hkoster1 wrote:Well, in that other thread you suggest installing flashplayer-mozilla, but I had that installed right off. The about:plugins page shows two instances of Shockwave Flash:
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r100

Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124

Removing flashplayer-mozilla shows that the r100 player stays behind, so it came with IceWeasel. It has the problems I described as well. Installing flashplugin-nonfree gets rid of the grey boxes, but now shows a flash-window that covers the T-mobile login window.

The r100 one is swfdec-mozilla, which is installed as a dependency of the gnome metapackage. They grey boxes are flash objects, but they don't start automatically - you have to click on them to activate them.

Lenny has a fairly old version 0.6.0, in later versions (I'm not sure when it made it into a release) ~/.config/swfdec-mozilla.conf contains global and host specific preferences for autoplay, as clearly documented in the commit message (note: sarcasm).
Last edited by TRS-80 on 2008-08-14 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
TRS-80

Postby Telemachus » 2008-08-14 11:39

hkoster1 wrote:Well, in that other thread you suggest installing flashplayer-mozilla, but I had that installed right off. The about:plugins page shows two instances of Shockwave Flash:
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r100

Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124

You're right, it is a flash implementation problem, a regression for us Linux users...

A few things. First, if you read the entire other thread, you will see that libswfdecmozilla.so comes from the pre-installed free-libre version of Flash. For whatever reason, Iceweasel now comes with this built-in. In addition, as a poster points out on the other thread, if you have two installed, Iceweasel will use the swfdec version in preference to the "real" Adobe one, even though the Adobe one is a later version. You have to remove the swfdec one (either manually with rm or (much more sanely) with apt-get). Then you should be fine to install the Adobe or Gnash or whatever version of Flash you want.

Beyond that though, any website that requires a particular version of Flash to enter the page or to navigate is a very badly designed, non-compliant website. So I don't think it's a problem so much of a Linux regression as of asshole web design people, too in love with Flash.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Telemachus

Postby hkoster1 » 2008-08-14 11:49

Telemachus wrote:... You have to remove the swfdec one (either manually with rm or (much more sanely) with apt-get)...
Much more sanely indeed to remove all of Gnome or leave Gnome broken? Using rm does an end run around the Gnome package maintainer... :wink:
hkoster1

Postby rickh » 2008-08-14 11:52

Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97
rickh

Postby hkoster1 » 2008-08-14 11:54

Quite so!

(Up early today?)
hkoster1

Postby Telemachus » 2008-08-14 11:58

hkoster1 wrote:
Telemachus wrote:... You have to remove the swfdec one (either manually with rm or (much more sanely) with apt-get)...
Much more sanely indeed to remove all of Gnome or leave Gnome broken? Using rm does an end run around the Gnome package maintainer... :wink:

In my opinion, it is not sane or smart to do an "end run" around the Gnome maintainer. If you ever go to update or remove Gnome, dpkg will probably fail and bail out when it doesn't find an item that the package maintainer swears it should have.

As I said already in the other thread, there is a way to handle this, using apt-get and aptitude in tandem, that keeps your system clean and doesn't break anything.
# apt-get remove swfdec-mozilla
# aptitude keep-all

After that, you can safely go back to using Aptitude. Done.
Telemachus

Postby hkoster1 » 2008-08-14 12:03

Telemachus wrote:
# aptitude keep-all

Great! But why didn't you say so in the first place, need to educate the unwashed masses, you know...
hkoster1

Postby Telemachus » 2008-08-14 12:14

hkoster1 wrote:
Telemachus wrote:
# aptitude keep-all

Great! But why didn't you say so in the first place, need to educate the unwashed masses, you know...

For @%$$'s sake: it's on the the other thread. The one I told you to look at. I don't remember saying, "Hey, why don't you selectively skim one post of that thread."

If you had read the entire other thread, you could have skipped three or four steps here. That's why I directed you that way.
Telemachus

Postby hkoster1 » 2008-08-14 12:30

Telemachus wrote:
hkoster1 wrote:
Telemachus wrote:
# aptitude keep-all

For @%$$'s sake, it's on the the other thread. The one I told you to look at. I don't remember saying, "Hey, why don't you selectively skim one post of that thread."

If you had read the entire other thread, you could have skipped three or four steps here. That's why I directed you that way.
A professional teacher shouldn't lose patience with students, and the same goes here for experienced users assisting the less knowledgeable. Students ask stupid questions and do dumb things, very irritating of course. Yet, it seems to be a necessary step in effective learning. Same here, I would say: we try this, we try that, we hose a system (or two), much of it stupidly, and we should have read advice more carefully. Yet, amid all that confusion we seem to be able to learn a few new tricks every day.

But it is hard on teachers and helpers... so take a nap once in a while.
hkoster1

Postby rickh » 2008-08-14 13:13

take a nap once in a while.

Actually, it's good for Telemachus to yell at people once in a while. He helps out lots of people so patiently, I know that it's giving him high blood pressure. You can take an occasional scolding. Consider it a good deed; "taking one for the team," as we say in the US.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97
rickh

Postby Telemachus » 2008-08-14 13:52

If I already need a nap, I'm in trouble. I've only been awake a few hours. In any case, I think it was "Why didn't you say so..." that pushed me over the edge. Well, that, and I'm sitting here editing the php for all my school's blogs. Have I mentioned lately how much I detest php ? Evil, evil, stupid language.
Telemachus

Next

Return to Desktop & Multimedia