apt-get versus aptitude

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

apt-get versus aptitude

Postby squiz » 2009-01-04 19:05

Which is recommended when installing something from the command line, aptitude install <package> or apt-get install <package>. I seem to remember reading some time ago that aptitude behaves differently and was preferred, but I always see apt-get in these forums. Do they behave the same these days, or is one preferred?
squiz

Postby Troels » 2009-01-04 19:16

Flamewar ahead :D

I use aptitude. It has better dependency handling. The difference is not that big on Ubuntu because one tend to reinstall every 6 months. Though on Debian if you're running a mixed testing/unstable system (and therefore don't reinstall) you have got to go for aptitude because aptitude is better at removing obsolete packages from your system.
Which mindset is right? Mine, of course. People who disagree with me are by definition crazy. (Until I change my mind, when they can suddenly become upstanding citizens. I'm flexible, and not black-and-white.) - Linus Torvalds.
Troels

Postby squiz » 2009-01-04 19:20

Troels wrote:Flamewar ahead :D

I use aptitude. It has better dependency handling. The difference is not that big on Ubuntu because one tend to reinstall every 6 months. Though on Debian if you're running a mixed testing/unstable system (and therefore don't reinstall) you have got to go for aptitude because aptitude is better at removing obsolete packages from your system.

Then why do 99% of people say "apt-get install ..."? Habit? This is very confusing for a debian newby like me.
squiz

Postby Arabian » 2009-01-04 19:46

As far as I know apt has the same possibilities like the frontend aptitude. Apt is for users who prefer the shell, aptitude for these who like gui stuff.
Arabian

Postby rickh » 2009-01-04 19:49

Arabian wrote:As far as I know apt has the same possibilities like the frontend aptitude. Apt is for users who prefer the shell, aptitude for these who like gui stuff.

Wrong.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97
rickh

Postby Troels » 2009-01-04 19:52

Arabian wrote:As far as I know apt has the same possibilities like the frontend aptitude. Apt is for users who prefer the shell, aptitude for these who like gui stuff.

Actually Synaptic is a frontend to apt-get. That's why Synaptic never should be used to install packages with. I only use Synaptic for searching.
Which mindset is right? Mine, of course. People who disagree with me are by definition crazy. (Until I change my mind, when they can suddenly become upstanding citizens. I'm flexible, and not black-and-white.) - Linus Torvalds.
Troels

Postby Troels » 2009-01-04 19:53

squiz wrote:
Troels wrote:Flamewar ahead :D

Then why do 99% of people say "apt-get install ..."? Habit? This is very confusing for a debian newby like me.

I don't think that is the case. At least I haven't noticed it. Perhaps those users who says apt-get come from sidux?
Troels

Postby mzilikazi » 2009-01-04 20:05

squiz wrote:Then why do 99% of people say "apt-get install ..."? Habit? This is very confusing for a debian newby like me.

Use apt-get or use aptitude. Debian recommends aptitude, while personally I prefer apt-get.

I tire of the ramblings of the so-called dependency probems of apt. If you know how to use apt this is not an issue. I don't care to get involved in any conversation about which is better. Use whichever you feel most comfortable with but try not to mix the two. I have been told that it doesn't matter too much these days but not confirmed it myself. At one time it was a bad idea to intermix apt & aptitude since one tool was not aware of the other.

Alot of the commands are interchangeable, others are not e.g.
Code: Select all
apt-get install
aptitude install
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja

Postby Lavene » 2009-01-04 20:05

It's not easy for old dogs to learn new tricks ;) Some of us 'grew up with' apt-get but apparently the Debian devs now recommend Aptitude. So out of habbit I might say "apt-get". But in pretty much every case you can substitute it for Aptitude if that's what you're using.

It would be pretty impossible to spell out every alternative every time you ask someone to install something anyway...

As for what's really the best one; we'll probably never completely agree since some of us prefer the apt-get way and some of us prefer aptitude (and some prefer Synaptic and some prefer wajiig... some even prefer dselect etc etc)

Choose one and stick with it and you should be fine... you'll get flamed no matter what you choose anyway ;)
Lavene
Site admin

Postby Troels » 2009-01-04 20:07

I still have one killer argument left:

aptitude is faster to type! :lol:

(just type "apti" and then hit Tab)
Troels

Postby mzilikazi » 2009-01-04 20:10

Troels wrote:I still have one killer argument left:

aptitude is faster to type! :lol:

(just type "apti" and then hit Tab)

And aliases are even faster. ;)
Add to ~/.bashrc
Code: Select all
#Make apt-get easier
alias agc="apt-get clean"
alias au="apt-get update"
alias aug="apt-get upgrade"
alias as="apt-cache search"
alias ash="apt-get show"
alias ai="apt-get install"
alias dpl="dpkg -l|grep"
alias acp="apt-cache policy"
alias ar="apt-get remove"
alias afi="apt-get -f install"
alias dpi="dpkg -i"
alias dif="dpkg -i --force-overwrite"
alias acd="apt-cache depends"
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja

Postby anticapitalista » 2009-01-04 20:12

Set up your aliases and agu, agd is even shorter ;)
anticapitalista

Postby Issyer » 2009-01-04 20:17

Synaptic rocks!
Issyer

Postby Troels » 2009-01-04 20:17

Damn. I admit it, I have been beaten :P

Although I still find aptitude to be a cooler word.

But this file, should be in /root right?

Is there a way to make the commands "pacman-like"?

The only thing I have always envied arch users for is their "pacman -Syu".

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out myself :)
Last edited by Troels on 2009-01-04 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Troels

Postby jalu » 2009-01-04 20:22

well,
i`m quite new, exactly one year old child of linux, and i use apt-get for only one reason:
it was the first one i was told. I can`t say anything bad or good about aptitude,
as i don`t know it.

as i said, i`m a newbie, i often install lots of stuff within a very short time (lets say 20 minutes),
remove it a few minutes later, forget to purge, all that without knowing about
the dependencies. All of that since a year.

I had never a problem with apt-get concerning the dependencies.
If so, it was three or four times, i ran something like dpkg -a configure(?)
(post-edit: i think its dpkg --configure -a)
and everything is ok. Adept would surely be ok too, but i don`t know.

the very short version: for me its ok, i ain`t got the trouble the aptituders
are mentioning.

greetings jalu
ps:well, right now i got small problems, but because of a bad configured proxy.
Last edited by jalu on 2009-01-04 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
jalu

Next

Return to Installation