What's the smallest Debian based distribution that has GNOME

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Postby Soul Singin' » 2009-01-28 03:37

anticapitalista wrote:Look, the guy wants to make his own distro, let him do so for better or worse.

@ Panarchy -- Take note. When the topic of conversation shifts away from the technical details of the project and shifts towards the personality of the project manager, the project is doomed and the manager should/will be fired.
Soul Singin'

Postby Panarchy » 2009-01-28 05:29

^*cough*Not for profit*/cough*^
^*cough*No corporate sponsor*/cough*^

julian67 wrote:I don't think you'll be getting any serious competition in the super light Debian derived distro space quite yet......

Oh, well that's good to know.

:roll:
Panarchy

Re: What's the smallest Debian based distribution that has G

Postby Panarchy » 2009-01-28 05:32

Back on topic now

Panarchy wrote:Hi

What's the smallest Debian based distribution which uses GNOME as it's default desktop environment?

Or, what's the smallest Debian based distribution? (one that I can add GNOME to)

As I've been working on a distribution built on Ubuntu, but I don't know for sure if I'll be able to fit everything on a CD (702MB).

Are there any 'smaller' distributions out there, which are built on debian, and uses/can use GNOME as it's desktop environment?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Panarchy
Panarchy

Postby jalu » 2009-01-28 05:50

Panarchy wrote:
Back on topic now...

AbsentMinded:
Why are you over looking the obvious? Just use a customized version of Debian. You can make it as small as you want. take a businesscard install and add what you want of Gnome to it. if you want a live CD then you can use squeeze(i think it is) to compress the disk

Lou:
how about a minimal install and then add:

apt-get install xorg gnome-core ??

Kats:
The best way is to start with a minimal debian, then do

Code:
# aptitude install gnome-desktop-environment -R

Will install gnome without any recommends.

Cope57:
Lou wrote:

I would agree with this completely.

and all others who, in my opinion, tried to help,
even if it doesn`t sound like that.

The question is answered, isn`t it?
I`m serious, Panarchy, i see no question which is left.
jalu

Postby Soul Singin' » 2009-01-28 06:21

Soul Singin' wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:Look, the guy wants to make his own distro, let him do so for better or worse.

@ Panarchy -- Take note. When the topic of conversation shifts away from the technical details of the project and shifts towards the personality of the project manager, the project is doomed and the manager should/will be fired.

Panarchy wrote:^*cough*Not for profit*/cough*^
^*cough*No corporate sponsor*/cough*^

I was a competitive swimmer from my early childhood straight through college. In practice, our coaches yelled at us if we didn't sprint through our pain. They yelled at us if we didn't reach for the wall at the end of a long set. They made us take every part of practice seriously because "what you do in practice is what you do in a race."

Right now, you're practicing. You're in career training. And what you do in practice, you'll do on the job.

So take this project seriously, Panarchy. Treat this project as if it had a "corporate sponsor." Listen to what people on this forum are saying to you. Imagine that they are your bosses and ask yourself: "If forum member X was my boss, would he/she be pleased with my work?"

For what it's worth, if I were your boss, I would have fired you by now.
Soul Singin'

Postby Kats » 2009-01-28 11:15

"Hi guys! Your distro SUCKS, but I still want to base my own distro on it, which will mostely be the same thing without the security!"

Anyway, have to agree with Lou on gnome-core, alot more minimal than gnome-desktop-environment.
~ I'm down like a clown, Charlie Brown.
Kats

Postby Panarchy » 2009-01-29 04:52

jalu wrote:Panarchy wrote:
Back on topic now...

AbsentMinded:
Why are you over looking the obvious? Just use a customized version of Debian. You can make it as small as you want. take a businesscard install and add what you want of Gnome to it. if you want a live CD then you can use squeeze(i think it is) to compress the disk

Lou:

Kats:
The best way is to start with a minimal debian, then do

Code:
# aptitude install gnome-desktop-environment -R

Will install gnome without any recommends.

Cope57:
Lou wrote:

I would agree with this completely.

and all others who, in my opinion, tried to help,
even if it doesn`t sound like that.

The question is answered, isn`t it?
I`m serious, Panarchy, i see no question which is left.

Thanks for listing some of the valid replies to my first post.

However, I am looking for more things, such as Debris which has been built from Debian at some point.

So if you have any suggestions like that, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy
Panarchy

Postby dede » 2009-01-29 11:53

The smallest is Debris. There is no other known distro with Gnome & Debian with less than approx 640MB.

Suggestions:
-Remastersys (http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/)
Go to the above page and forum, you will find people doing bootable dist and backups of Debian and Ubuntu systems.
It is very easy to make your installed system a bootable live-cd or live-dvd with Remastersys, really, i've already done, 30 minutes to put my 3.5GB Debian Gnome in 1.2GB live-dvd.

-Debian (http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/)
Install the Debian Testing iso cd-1 only and make it the way you want. Then, Remastersys.

-Debian Live Project (http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/)
Maybe you can strip down a Debian live cd of Lxde (481MB) or Gnome (+700MB) and make your own flavour. See the Download section.

-CrunchBang (http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05288)
An easy to use Openbox distro based on Ubuntu. The design is a must, doesn't need to be changed. (crunchbang-lite-8.10.02.i386.iso 448MB)

-sidux (http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05259)
Excellent distro and the fastest installer I've ever saw. Only KDE or Xfce versions, but you can make your own Gnome version starting from Xfce because it is smaller and Xfce is very compatible with Gnome.
Download the Xfce version, install on hdd, install the Debian Lenny kernel, install Gnome, install Remastersys and make your live cd.
(sidux-2008-04-xfce-i386.iso 385MB) new with 2.6.27 kernel
(sidux-2008-03-xfce-i386.iso 391MB) 2.6.26 kernel, maybe more more compatible with Debian Lenny.
dede

Postby Kats » 2009-01-29 18:06

Actually, using live-helper and installing just gnome-core, you get a 420+ mB image of Debian with gnome, if you flag aptitude to don't install recommends.
~ I'm down like a clown, Charlie Brown.
Kats

Postby Panarchy » 2009-01-30 06:41

dede wrote:The smallest is Debris. There is no other known distro with Gnome & Debian with less than approx 640MB.

Suggestions:
-Remastersys (http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/)
Go to the above page and forum, you will find people doing bootable dist and backups of Debian and Ubuntu systems.
It is very easy to make your installed system a bootable live-cd or live-dvd with Remastersys, really, i've already done, 30 minutes to put my 3.5GB Debian Gnome in 1.2GB live-dvd.

-Debian (http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/)
Install the Debian Testing iso cd-1 only and make it the way you want. Then, Remastersys.

-Debian Live Project (http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/)
Maybe you can strip down a Debian live cd of Lxde (481MB) or Gnome (+700MB) and make your own flavour. See the Download section.

-CrunchBang (http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05288)
An easy to use Openbox distro based on Ubuntu. The design is a must, doesn't need to be changed. (crunchbang-lite-8.10.02.i386.iso 448MB)

-sidux (http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05259)
Excellent distro and the fastest installer I've ever saw. Only KDE or Xfce versions, but you can make your own Gnome version starting from Xfce because it is smaller and Xfce is very compatible with Gnome.
Download the Xfce version, install on hdd, install the Debian Lenny kernel, install Gnome, install Remastersys and make your live cd.
(sidux-2008-04-xfce-i386.iso 385MB) new with 2.6.27 kernel
(sidux-2008-03-xfce-i386.iso 391MB) 2.6.26 kernel, maybe more more compatible with Debian Lenny.

CrunchBang's terminal emulator: terminator 8)

Thanks for your reply.

The only issue I have against using debris, is that I have been having a lot of trouble with installing it. I've only tried with VMware Workstation 6.5.1.

If you'd recommend me some way to install it, I'd appreciate it (or a premade VMware image).

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy
Panarchy

Postby dede » 2009-01-30 10:09

Sorry, I've never ran into VMware, Qemu or any other emulator.

Debris was mentioned because answers the topic and is not obsolete.

Everything else on my post are suggestions that in one or another way are reasonable possibilities that don't require program knowledge.
dede

Postby Panarchy » 2009-01-30 11:00

Thanks.

Hmm... well in that case, has anyone [here] successfully install Debris Linux on there hard-drive?

As I have some spare space on one of my SATA hard-drives, and would be willing to append one of my partitions for Debris (although I would much prefer using a virtualisation program)

Please reply

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS: If anyone has made a virtual image of Debris, could you please 'share' it with me? Thanks!
Panarchy

Postby Soul Singin' » 2009-01-30 14:53

Panarchy wrote:If you'd recommend me some way to install it, I'd appreciate it (or a premade VMware image).
Panarchy wrote:PS: If anyone has made a virtual image of Debris, could you please 'share' it with me? Thanks!

So you're looking for a free ride again?

Why don't you read some books on GNU/Linux and learn how to do these things for yourself? Then you wouldn't have to beg other people to do the hard work for you.
Soul Singin'

Postby Panarchy » 2009-01-31 02:25

Hi Guys

Later today I will be releasing my distribution (finally).

This will be version 1.

Next release won't be for a while, as I will be building it from Debris, and I have a lot of stuff on.

Please give my distribution a go,

Panarchy
http://panarchy.wordpress.com
Panarchy

Postby Soul Singin' » 2009-01-31 04:19

Panarchy wrote:Please give my distribution a go,
Panarchy wrote:Next release will;
  • Have all programs run as root

No, thank you. I'll pass.
Soul Singin'

Previous

Return to General Questions