Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Several problems with GNOME, GNOME applets and NVidia driver

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
hellfire

Several problems with GNOME, GNOME applets and NVidia driver

#1 Post by hellfire »

I installed debian yesterday. I made a net install (base install). Then upgraded to unstable and the installed GNOME (2.14). Then i tried to installed the NVidia drivers and had some problems with them. First i tried the drivers from nvidia.com (8178) but the installer couldn`t build the module (it reached 100% and then said that it couldn`t build the module, no reason why), the i downloaded the latest drivers (8576 or something simular, the same as in the debian unstable repositories) and installed them successfully but x couldn`t star because it couldn`t load the nvidia and glx modules. Then i uninstalled the drivers and followedthis howto (http://www.debianguide.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NvidiaHowTo) and installed them successfully.

The problem is that after i installed them i cannot use my monitor at 1152x864 and 85Hz but only 75Hz. If i switch back to the nv driver i have no such problem. I tried to delete xorg.conf and dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and input the proper valuse of the Horizonatal and Vertical refresh rate of my monitor but that didn`t help. I tried to use use the xorg.conf file made by the nvidia installer and when it didn`t work i tried to use my original xorg.conf and simply edit it by the way the nvidia drivers readme says but it didn`t help too.

My second problem is that when the applications menu in GNOME doesn`t drop. If i press it it highlits and for a second i can see the menu but then it disappears while the applications button stays higlighted. If i remove the menu and add it again there is no change. There was a simular theme about the same problem in gnome 2.12 where it was suggested to apt-get upgrade but this didn` help too.

My third problem is about the keyboard indicator applet. When i add it to the panel instead of the current layout it just shows a tiny line, the same it would show if there were no layout. In keyboard preferences in the layouts tab the add button is inactive and if i try to change my keyboard type i get:
Error activating XKB configuration.
It can happen under various circumstances:
- a bug in libxklavier library
- a bug in X server (xkbcomp, xmodmap utilities)
- X server with incompatible libxkbfile implementation

X server version data:
The X.Org Foundation

If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd

hellfire

#2 Post by hellfire »

I`ve dealt with the problem with GNOME menu and nvidia drivers but i still can`t add additional keyboard layouts and write in cyrilycs. I have another problem now i can`t install amarok. I get amarok:
Depends: amarok-engines, но няма да бъде инсталиран или
amarok-engine
Depends: libtunepimp2c2a (>=0.3.0) but it is not installable

hellfire

#3 Post by hellfire »

но няма да бъде инсталиран или means but it`s nit going to be installed, i`m using bulgarian language...

or1onas

#4 Post by or1onas »

I had the same problem and i managed to solve it by installing the package 'xkb-data' and then restarting X.

hellfire

#5 Post by hellfire »

I have already tried it (i read about simular problem in another forum) - no effect.

hellfire

#6 Post by hellfire »

Again i have the problem with gnome menu. It happened after i tried to edit the menu.

tflorac

#7 Post by tflorac »

I had the same problem with GNOME menu appearing and disappearing immediately while activating it.
I just made a "dpkg-reconfigure menu-xdg" and everything came back normally...

hellfire

#8 Post by hellfire »

I`ve solved the problem with GNOME menu with update-menu. I also solved the problem with nvidia drivers. However i still have the problem with the GNOME Keyboard Indicator applet. I can`t add keyboard layouts and can`t write in anythink different from latin layout. I also tried to edit xorg.conf by hand but this didn`t help too. In KDE i don`t have such problems. I added bulgarian layout (this is the layout i need) in KDE Control Cneter and it`s working. But i want to use GNOME, not KDE.... I still get this message at startup:
Error activating XKB configuration.
It can happen under various circumstances:
- a bug in libxklavier library
- a bug in X server (xkbcomp, xmodmap utilities)
- X server with incompatible libxkbfile implementation

X server version data:
The X.Org Foundation

If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd
When i try as suggested i get:
hellfire@debian:~$ xprop -root | grep XKB
_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xorg", "pc104", "us", "", ""
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xorg", "pc104", "us", "", ""

and

hellfire@debian:~$ gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd
layouts = [us,bg phonetic]
model =
options = [grp grp:alts_toggle]
overrideSettings = true

As you can see my bg layout is actuall added but i can`t use it. If i click on the applet to change the layout group nothing happen. If click with right mouse button on the applet and then go to groups i can only see the american english group.

#9 Post by Guest »

After an update a couple of days ago all my problems are gone.
For the nvidia drivers - in my xorg.conf i added 1280x960 chosed it as a deffault resolution. Instead of 1280x960 my monitor is at 1152x768 85Hz which is what i wanted in the beginnig. The fact that according to my computer i`m at 1280x960 matters little to me.
For amarok - i installed the required dependancies from testing.
For gnome-menu - update-menus solved the problem.
For the keyboard indicator applet - the problem disappeared after an update several days ago (i think when it was when i updated from GNOME 2.14 to GNOME 2.14.1). Before the update solved this problem i had added setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout 'us,bg' -variant ' , phonetic
' -option grp:alt_shift_toggle as a startup command and this allowed me to use bg phonetic layout as well as USA english layout and to swith groups with alt+shift.

ajdlinux

#10 Post by ajdlinux »

hellfire wrote:I`ve dealt with the problem with GNOME menu and nvidia drivers but i still can`t add additional keyboard layouts and write in cyrilycs. I have another problem now i can`t install amarok. I get amarok:
Depends: amarok-engines, но няма да бъде инсталиран или
amarok-engine
Depends: libtunepimp2c2a (>=0.3.0) but it is not installable
BTW the reason for this is that kdemultimedia is currently broken in unstable.