[Solved] Grub error 17 on fresh install. Help please?

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

[Solved] Grub error 17 on fresh install. Help please?

Postby davidh » 2010-05-13 12:44

I am a Linux Newb but not a pc newb so bear with me.

Have installed Debian 5.0.4 AMD64 bit version on my Pentium D 64 bit system (checked Debians site and it said this was the right version for Intels architecture despite the AMD name).

Tried a number of fresh installations from auto default to advanced and still getting the grub error 17 every boot.

I have two hard drives. One (the master) is IDE and is ntfs formatted with files on it I want to keep. It shows up I believe as hda.
The Linux drive is an SATA drive and has default partitions (in most recent fresh install I made the new Linux root partition only 133 GB but it is still the main and first primary partition on drive two). The Linux drives root part shows as SDA and the partition number 1 contains the / partition.

When I boot I get the following:

Code: Select all
Root (hd1,0)
Filesystem type unknown
Partition type 0x7
Kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-amd64 root=/dev/sda1 ro
error 17: cannot mount selected partition
Press any key to continue

I know when installing other Linux systems I had to change the grub boot loader location from mbr to the main drive or had to change where Grub installed but as it is Grub is at least loading, it is not Grub2 just standard Grub.

Could someone suggest what I`m doing wrong, I`m a newb but I`m guessing that it is trying to mount the wrong partition and maybe I just need to edit something?

I have tried using a Linux rescue cd that detects and boots any found os, it finds the install and when I choose to install it the screen just goes black and my tv/monitor says there is no signal so I can`t edit that way. I am using a sabayon live dvd to type this, any help much appreciated as I decided to go for Debian after trying Ubuntu and Sabayon because of crashes etc with those and heard Debian is more stable.

Thanks for any help, at moment I have no working os so hopefully someone can help me figure it out.

I have searched but after showing one page of results the site keeps saying I can`t search at this time, I kept trying but no joy so apologies if I have missed a similar post to this and am reposting an already answered question.

EDIT: Forgot to say I think the filesystem used was EXT3.

SOLVED: Thanks to the advice here I managed to edit menu.lst using a live dvd.
Last edited by davidh on 2010-05-13 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
davidh

Re: Grub error 17 on fresh install. Help please?

Postby peter_irich » 2010-05-13 15:18

Enter "/sbin/fdisk -l" and check whether you rightly point the root partition in grub.conf.

Peter.
peter_irich

Postby davidh » 2010-05-13 15:25

Thanks for the reply :)

I will try that when I quit the livedvd, I have figured out that hd0,0 will boot the system in single user mode (the other option won`t work at all) but I don`t know how to make the change permanent so everytime I want to boot I have to press e then edit the root to hd(0,0) then press b.

Is there a way from the terminal, or grub loading menu, to make this change permanent.

Unfortunately I cannot log in to the standard non single user mode, and although the single user mode starts I can`t see the screen due to an unknown issue so would have to edit it through a shell if you might be able to tell me how to make the change permanent rather than me have to keep pressing e on boot selection?

Thank you :)
davidh

Postby nadir » 2010-05-13 15:29

Code: Select all
su
nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

Go to the bottom and make the changes.

That guy seem to have had a similar problem:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=51877&p=297611&hilit=grub+error+17#p297946
You might want to read it.

If you can't search with the boards-search function, try:
grub error 17 site:forums.debian.net
in a search-engine of choice.

Same thing: you might wanna read it
http://stringofthoughts.wordpress.com/2 ... ianubuntu/
but using the expert mode of fdisk ... might become tricky.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.
nadir

Return to Installation