Epiphany default search engine

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Epiphany default search engine

Postby geoffkaniuk » 2010-07-13 16:24

I have been using Epiphany for about 10 days now. It seems that suddenly my search engine was changed from Google to VirginMedia.

I cannot find any option to set the default search engine, either in Epiphany preferences or in gconf-editor.

Can anyone explain how this change has occurred or how I might get back to having Google as my default search engine?

I am using Debian Lenny 5 and Epiphany 2.22.3

Many thanks for any help.
Geoff
geoffkaniuk

Re: Epiphany default search engine

Postby jheaton5 » 2010-07-13 16:28

geoffkaniuk wrote:I have been using Epiphany for about 10 days now. It seems that suddenly my search engine was changed from Google to VirginMedia.

I cannot find any option to set the default search engine, either in Epiphany preferences or in gconf-editor.

Can anyone explain how this change has occurred or how I might get back to having Google as my default search engine?

I am using Debian Lenny 5 and Epiphany 2.22.3

Many thanks for any help.

I don't know anything about Epiphany. I use Iceweasel, but instead of setting a default search engine, I set google as my home page.
debian sid with kernel img 3.8.10 lxde no dm
jheaton5

Postby AnInkedSoul » 2010-07-13 16:42

I assume you mean that when you type a phrase or word in the address bar and hit enter/go that it usually provides google results.

you can open a tab, type in about:config and hit enter
in the filter box type in keyword and you should see a keyword.URL string where you can set your preferred search engine for keywords

You will probably find that it is still set to google though which means your isp/dns is 'hijacking' your search requests.
AnInkedSoul

Postby craigevil » 2010-07-13 18:40

Epiphany/FrequentlyAskedQuestions - GNOME Live!
Setting the search URL for the location bar (keyword search)

For Epiphany 2.30 and later, you can change the search engine by editing the /apps/epiphany/general/url_search gconf key.
Debian Sid KDE Kernel 3.17 Thinkpad R40 Intel M 1.3 CPU 2GB RAM Radeon Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
craigevil

Postby geoffkaniuk » 2010-07-14 10:15

I much appreciate your responses, they have helped me solve the problem.

jheaton5
I don't know anything about Epiphany. I use Iceweasel, but instead of setting a default search engine, I set google as my home page.

That certainly is one solution, but I feel I should be in control of my search engine, whatever my home page.

AnInkedSoul
you can open a tab, type in about:config and hit enter ...

Thanks for reminding me regarding about:config. You are absolutely right, google is the default and after some digging around I discovered VM had changed the DNS protocol earlier this year and this was causing problems. They did have an opt out link, (it did not seem to be working - the process is obscure), but after trying again it now seems to work.

craigevil
Yes, I wondered whether I would need to upgrade to 2.30. But 2.22 is in the Debian repository, so if I apt-get won't I just get what I already have? I usually use synaptic from Gnome. If I do upgrade to 2.30 will I not lose my bookmarks and history?
Geoff
geoffkaniuk

Postby craigevil » 2010-07-14 10:23

if you are on stable/lenny you are stuck with 22.3-9 unless you backport it yourself. I have never ran stable, it would drive me nuts with all the ancient apps.

Package epiphany-browser

* lenny (stable) (gnome): Intuitive web browser - dummy package
2.22.3-9: all
* squeeze (testing) (gnome): Intuitive GNOME web browser
2.30.2-3: amd64 armel hppa i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips mipsel powerpc s390 sparc
* sid (unstable) (gnome): Intuitive GNOME web browser
2.30.2-3: amd64 armel hppa hurd-i386 i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips mipsel powerpc s390 sparc
2.29.6-1: alpha
Debian Sid KDE Kernel 3.17 Thinkpad R40 Intel M 1.3 CPU 2GB RAM Radeon Mobility 7500
craigevil

Postby simen » 2011-09-23 20:52

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I have a question.

craigevil wrote:
For Epiphany 2.30 and later, you can change the search engine by editing the /apps/epiphany/general/url_search gconf key.

I can't find this key in gconf-editor.

I find Epiphany in gconf, but not that key at that (or any) place. The installed version of epiphany-browser is 3.0.4-1 (testing wheezy). Typing "about:config" in the address bar gives a blank screen. Am I missing something?

Kind regards,
Simen
simen

Postby craigevil » 2011-09-23 21:01

to change from google to duckduckgo:
Epiphany - For v3 and newer, there are at least two ways to change the default search engine. 1. using dconf-editor edit: org > gnome > Epiphany > keyword-search-url 2. from command line use this one-liner: GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.gnome.Epiphany keyword-search-url https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s. For older versions, go to > Menu > System Tools > Configuration Editor (or "gconf-editor" in the console). Drill down to key /apps/epiphany/general/url_search and overwrite the key with your ddg version of choice, e.g. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s for the SSL version (making sure to put the %s part at the end after the ' = ' symbol).
craigevil

Postby simen » 2011-09-26 10:15

Thanks craigevil! Setting it in dconf-editor did the trick.

Kind regards,
Simen
simen

Return to Beginners Questions