I'm trying to start using Debian Squeeze 64b on my laptop, which is Dell Latitude D830 with Intel i965GM.
After Debian installation, when system should display some nice background and window which please me to log in, I see my screen gets blank, fuzzy, blank again, ...and after several times finaly all hangs.
Surprisingly mouse pointer is displayed nicely and works. I can't use network on Debian becouse of windows authorization program which i can run in wine on KDE. This works on Kubuntu.
What I did already:
I installed KUBUNTU 10.04 LTS and it's doing job well.
I installed Debian Squeeze with options:
- enabled:base system, laptop
- disabled:graphical environment
After instalation I logged in on root account and did:
1. aptitude install xserver-xorg xbase-clients xfonts-base xterm
2. aptitude install kdebase kde-i18n-pl
3. aptitude install kdm
5. problem occurs
@2: Googling everywhere i found several installation guides pointing to instal pure KDE by installing kde-core package, but it seems Squeeze does not have it.
@3: Unfortunately this command did not install nor update anything.
All I want to do is to install pure Debian with xorg and kde core (not full kde package) for later customization.
I tried to:
- generate xorg.conf (X -configure) and place it at /etc/X11/
- use xorg.conf working for other people in web.
- dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
- googling & forum search for my specific problem and for errors found in syslog; with no working solution.
Any ideas, suggestions? I'll test them all, even if I tried it already with no success