Peppe wrote:Inserted the usb drive to my lenny box and ran syslinux /dev/sda1
Then the usb drive booted fine , in fact both drives booted fine .
If I type syslinux /dev/sda1 on my squeeze box then the usb drive won't boot .
I have been having similar problems. I think the issue is that the device drives have changed. Specifically, in Lenny, hard drives were typically "hda" or "hdb" (hdx
), whereas usb drives were typically "sda" or something with "sd". Now, it seems everything is "sdx
" (ie, sda1 could be the main partition of your hard drive rather than hda1, with sda5 being the swap, and sdb could be a secondary hard drive, with sdc being the usb-stick). One way to check is to insert your usb stick, and enter the command "fdisk -l". The usb-stick need not be mounted.
I think debian is moving away from having people use the fstab file, and is moving toward a more automatic mounting of drives (with UUID stuff). I'm not really sure. I still use my fstab file, and manually mount stuff. I did find the UUID number for one of my usb sticks, and made an fstab entry with that. But I would prefer to just find a standard /dev/something
file to use for all of them, so I don't have to make numerous entries in the fstab file. I'm going to try /dev/sdc, and then /dev/sdc1, etc, till I get something workable. For cdroms, it seems to be /dev/sr0 rather than /dev/cdrom1.
Okay, so I added the following to my fstab:
- Code: Select all
/dev/sdc1 /media/usb vfat noauto,user 0 0
/dev/sdc2 /media/usb2 vfat noauto,user 0 0
# /dev/sda /media/usb vfat noauto,user 0 0
# /dev/sdb /media/usb2 vfat noauto,user 0 0
This seems to work. I have two entries because I have two usb slots; so, if I insert two usb-sticks at the same time in each of the respective slots, I'll be able to mount them both and work on them. Note too that I commented out the previous entries I used to have, since /dev/sda and /dev/sdb now point to hard drives (on my system -- I have two hard drives). If you only have one hard drive, then for you the usb-sticks may be "/dev/sdb
" rather than "/dev/sdc
" (I'm just guessing here). Anyway, I don't believe your issues are due to a bug in the syslinux program. I think it's due to a renaming of the devices. So, good luck.