Howto: Simple tuning of Debian systems

Share your own howto's etc. Not for support questions!

Postby Azriel » 2007-08-22 14:09

deborphan also works randomly for me. I've used it with my etch debian, and now with sid, and i get the same problem than said above: it find orphaned libraries which are not orphaned at all.

It would strongly advise to try a
Code: Select all
deborphan -d
before everything in order to see the dependencies of the libs, and then remove carefully one by one the one you think are ok for removal...

[EDIT]: ok, just after posting that, i've started to clean my HDD using deborphan -d, and apt-get remove the libraries without dependencies, and now, the ony thing found by bedorphan is tcltls, which is used by amsn, but is not really a dependencie (since amsn can work without it), so not really a problem. Just deborphan -A tcltls and it's done. Still i strongly advise removing manually each package, even if it is only to know what the hell is going on on your system :).
Azriel

Postby Lavene » 2007-08-22 15:38

I have never had deborphan (I use the 'orphaner' frontend) remove libs with dependencies, but if it does it should be reported as a bug. However: if you have anything installed from source you can not trust it anymore of course since those dependencies are not known to apt.

Also remember that Unstable is called unstable for a reason. I can easily imagine deborphan fail on Sid systems...

Tina
Lavene
Site admin

Postby rickh » 2007-08-22 15:46

I have never had a problem on Sid using # deborphan | xargs dpkg --purge

But, obviously, I don't guarantee that you won't. The question that arises in my mind is whether using dpkg --purge is leaving cruft from packages it is deleting.

I haven't gotten brave enough yet to try # deborphan | xargs aptitude remove
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97
rickh

Previous

Return to Docs, Howtos, Tips & Tricks