SRWare Iron is the fastest web browser available. It is based on webkit. The project is a fork of google's chrome browser and does not present the user with primary key tracking systems.
How To get Iron
Download via SRWare Iron forum, or directly at ...
32-bit download link
64-bit download link
- Download installer file (which is .deb file format)
- In Debian, right-click installer and select from context menu "Open with GDebi Package Installer"
- Once installer application is open click the button "Install Package"
- Wait to allow the installation until it says "Installation finished"
- Close out of the installer by clicking "Close" button and X out of app
- Launch application from Debian menu > Internet > SRWare Iron
Once the application is launched you can configure the browser by using the wrench icon and sub-menus. It will prompt to make it the default browser. You can use Google Chrome extensions and themes for Iron. Running it as root does not work.
# from SRWare website - extensions
# from SRWare website - themes
# from Google website - extensions
# from Google website - themes
Speed Comparison - source
Differences from Chrome
The following Google Chrome features are not present in Iron:
RLZ identifier, an encoded string sent together with all queries to Google or once every 24 hours.
Google search access on startup for users with Google as default search
A unique ID ("clientID") for identifying the user in logs.
A timestamp of when the browser was installed.
Google-hosted error pages when a server is not present
Google Updater automatic installation.
DNS pre-fetching, because it could potentially be used by spammers.
Automatic address bar search suggestions.
Bug tracking system, sends information about crashes or errors.
last updated 12/25/2011 by smurf^Tronic