Trying to get generic text-only printer working -CUPS error-

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Trying to get generic text-only printer working -CUPS error-

Postby dvsapp » 2012-03-04 05:34

I'm trying to setup a linux POS system with lemon POS, and have an Ithaca series 150 serial receipt printer. I looked till I'm blue in the face for linux drivers for it, and found nothing. I needed to test this thing, so I lowered myself to a Windows machine and found it worked fine with the basic text-only generic Windows XP driver.

No big deal, I'll just use the plain Jane generic text-only driver in Debian Squeeze, right?.... No go, CUPS server error, "client-error-document-format-not-supported" I know the port settings are right, so I tried the Windows machine again with a live DVD, same CUPS error again. Even tried live Ubuntu and Mint CD' s all the same. I found some info regarding uncommenting/adding a line in /etc/cups/mime.convs and mime.types Those files don't even exist on my system!

The really weird/stupid thing is that this goofy printer will "work" if I pick almost any other driver listed. By work I mean it prints something, just garbage, I never get the error. Why is the only driver that should work the only one that give the error???

I tried to do some "brute-force" editing on the ppd file in the live sessions i tried to no avail. Next>>>>> 12lb sledgehammer ...... :D

Any Ideas, or am I forever a slave to Windows....LOL!
dvsapp

Re: Trying to get generic text-only printer working -CUPS er

Postby Randicus » 2012-03-18 01:05

Ithaca is not a name I am familiar with. Is it common? If not, your inability to find Linux drivers may be because there are none. I do not know. I have never looked.
dvsapp wrote:Any Ideas, or am I forever a slave to Windows....LOL!

If there are no drivers, no, you need not be a slave to Windows. Get a different printer. :wink: Most good quality printers have Linux drivers.
If you are suffering from sudo abuse and would like to check into the Debian Rehabilitation Clinic:
su
Enter root password.
Randicus

Re: Trying to get generic text-only printer working -CUPS er

Postby Ibidem » 2012-03-25 05:20

Code: Select all
$ dlocate mime.types
cups: /usr/share/cups/mime/mime.types

In other words, just look in /usr/share/cups/mime instead of /etc/cups
Thinkpad X100e/Debian Squeeze (All reposiories enabled)/Linux 3.4.11:
1GB RAM/1.6GHz Neo X2/ATI HD 3200/RTL8191SEVA2 wlan0, RTL8169 eth0
Ibidem