Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

request for procedure to install all packages

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
rupeshforu3

#1 Post by rupeshforu3 »

sir,
I have posted( requested ) you several times on how to solve unmet dependencies and to upgrade my system from squeeze6.0.6 to wheezy( testing ) but none have provided solution. So finally I have installed wheezy( testing ) from scratch.
Previously I have taken 3 months to install squeeze and taken 3 weeks to solve unmet dependencies.

Sir I am requesting that is there any procedure to download all the packages available from online repositories and at the same install these packages with minimum intervention from me. I want to install maximum number of packages.

I am new to debian operating system. Please help me.

Regards
Rupesh.

Randicus

Re: request for procedure to install all packages

#2 Post by Randicus »

rupeshforu3 wrote:Previously I have taken 3 months to install squeeze and taken 3 weeks to solve unmet dependencies.
Were you mixing Testing and/or Unstable repositories with Stable?
I want to install maximum number of packages.
Why? Install what you need and the extras you want. For example; do you need all available office suites or will one suffice? Do you need all media players and disc burners or would one or two of each be enough?

rupeshforu3

#3 Post by rupeshforu3 »

Sir I have enabled only testing and update repositories in sources.list. Leave about past I am asking whether it is possible to download and install packages with minimum intervention. I mean opening package manager like synaptic or aptitude and select all packages listed in particular category like gnome desktop environment or kde without selecting individual package and specify to install it.

nadir

#4 Post by nadir »

apt-get install gnome* kde* lxde* xfce*
start with that.

Oh ... i am either too old or too tired for this crap. Perhaps next time.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

rupeshforu3

#5 Post by rupeshforu3 »

Sir,
Is there at least any command to only download all the packages from online repositories.

Regards,
Rupesh.

vv221

#6 Post by vv221 »

Do you know how many packages there are in Debian repositories?!
http://packages.debian.org/stable/allpackages
À chacun selon ses besoins,
de chacun selon ses capacités.

Soapm

#7 Post by Soapm »

You can also do aptitude build-dep package-name and it should resolve itself. You can do it for each package if you are still having troubles.

nadir

#8 Post by nadir »

Soapm wrote:You can also do aptitude build-dep package-name and it should resolve itself. You can do it for each package if you are still having troubles.
Hmmhhh... as far i can tell
build-dep
for both, apt-get and aptitude, will not build (install) the dependencies , but will install the Build-Depends (will install the dependencies to build the program).

The file which tells us which are the dependencies is debian/control
do:

Code: Select all

apt-get source sl
cd sl-3.03/
vi debian/control
Source: sl
Section: games
Priority: optional
Maintainer: Hiroyuki Yamamoto <yama1066@gmail.com>
Build-Depends: cdbs, debhelper (>= 9), libncurses5-dev
Standards-Version: 3.9.3
Homepage: http://www.tkl.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~toyoda/index_e.html

Package: sl
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
Description: Correct you if you type `sl' by mistake
Sl is a program that can display animations aimed to correct you
if you type 'sl' by mistake.
SL stands for Steam Locomotive.
libncurses is a Build-Depends (as you can see).
It is not a Depends (to run the program).
As i have posted the control file here you don't need to apt-get source it anymore. It is a package of good size for such investigations, though.

Now do

apt-get install -s sl
libncurses5-dev will not be installed. It is not needed to run the program
Now run:

apt-get -s  build-dep sl
and libncurses5-dev will be installed (because you will need it to be able to build it).

Confusing?
Tell me about it... And i wouldn't bet it is right (though am rather sure).

-
Well: the OP wants to install all and everything, so for him it does not matter. Any approach will break the system perfectly.

Soapm

#9 Post by Soapm »

nadir wrote:
Soapm wrote:You can also do aptitude build-dep package-name and it should resolve itself. You can do it for each package if you are still having troubles.
Hmmhhh... as far i can tell
build-dep
for both, apt-get and aptitude, will not build (install) the dependencies , but will install the Build-Depends (will install the dependencies to build the program)..
Are you saying there are different dependencies to install the program then there are for the program to run? That kind of don't make sense since if I need java in order for something to install it will be there when I run the package also. I think...

nadir

#10 Post by nadir »

Soapm wrote: Are you saying there are different dependencies to install the program then there are for the program to run? That kind of don't make sense ....
Did you look at the example i posted at all?

Shall i repeat it? Or would you do me a favor and look at it?
So yes, that is what i am saying and yes, that is the way that it is.

If in doubt have a look at the man page of aptitude.

Your post is of astonishing ignorance seldom to be seen. Seriously.

rupeshforu3

illustrating what I want

#11 Post by rupeshforu3 »

Sir
generally why people jump from Unix to Linux because of its intuitive look and feel,and its reliable architecture. I think that linux's look and feel lives in its desktop environments so I want all desktop environments available in linux. Linux's reliable architecture lies in its kernel and utilities provided by it so I want all of those. Generally people especially me feel work say viewing films in one media player so I want all other like multimedia software and IDE's to programming.

Previously I used suse linux which was flexible which has no broken dependencies. Massive software installation was also painless. It has offered whatever I want but I migrated to Debian because it provides more packages. Suse Linux installation taken maximum upto one day but Debian installation is taking months that too with lot of broken dependencies.

Actually I am interested in operating system programming but I am a newbie to unix. In order to enhance my skills in programming and system administration with not feeling bohr.

For the above reasons cited I want to install all( maximum ) number of packages painlessly.

Regards,
Rupesh.

vbrummond

Re: illustrating what I want

#12 Post by vbrummond »

Previously I used suse linux which was flexible which has no broken dependencies. Massive software installation was also painless. It has offered whatever I want but...
If you are happy and working with SUSE than use it. It does not lack packages. http://software.opensuse.org/search
but Debian installation is taking months that too with lot of broken dependencies.
Bull.
For the above reasons cited I want to install all( maximum ) number of packages painlessly.
There is no sane reason to do this. You are either not sane, or trolling. I vote the latter despite my good nature.

Good day sir
Always on Debian Testing

rupeshforu3

#13 Post by rupeshforu3 »

sir sorry for my bad words. you are not suggesting what I want. Think if I was comfortable with suse linux then why I have migrated to your distro. My request is is there any package manager or command which is flexible I mean to install packages painlessly which is comparable to suse's package manager..

I know you have solution. Please help me as I am new to Debian.

deltaflyer

#14 Post by deltaflyer »

if you want a graphical package manager, have you installed Synaptic ? if not,

apt-get install synaptic
should pull it in for you
free your computer,use opensource

phenest

#15 Post by phenest »

rupeshforu3 wrote:So finally I have installed wheezy( testing ) from scratch.
Previously I have taken 3 months to install squeeze and taken 3 weeks to solve unmet dependencies.
3 months!? What unmet dependencies? What are you trying to do?
rupeshforu3 wrote:I am new to debian operating system. Please help me..
After 3 months and 3 weeks, you'e not new anymore.
vbrummond wrote:You are either not sane, or trolling. I vote the latter despite my good nature.
I also vote the latter.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

dasein

#16 Post by dasein »

Here's what I posted yesterday in the other thread you opened on this exact same topic...
dasein wrote:I'm beginning to suspect a troll, but just in case I'm being cynical...

OP:
  • 1) You do not need, nor do you truly want, to download all 41,000 Debian packages, even if you think you do.

2) You need only one (1) DVD to install a fully functional Debian system, complete with your choice of desktops.

3) Go here and read and follow directions: http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
I don't know how to say it any more clearly.

Soapm

#17 Post by Soapm »

nadir wrote:
Soapm wrote: Are you saying there are different dependencies to install the program then there are for the program to run? That kind of don't make sense ....
Did you look at the example i posted at all?

Shall i repeat it? Or would you do me a favor and look at it?
So yes, that is what i am saying and yes, that is the way that it is.

If in doubt have a look at the man page of aptitude.

Your post is of astonishing ignorance seldom to be seen. Seriously.
Thanks for the patience and encouragement you show to someone whose clearly learning. By the way, I did read your post and the man and somehow understood it differently from you. Does that make me "astonishingly ignorant" or someone who needed to ask a question for clarification? That's a fairly large ego you have there...

nadir

#18 Post by nadir »

build-dep will install the build-dependencies.
You said it doesn't make any sense to you.

What of that doesn't make any sense to you?

apt-get install packagename
will install all dependencies which are needed. Where did you hear you need to install the dep's of a package manually?

In my first post i have shown more patience than enough. Obviously that didn't help much.
to someone whose clearly learning
If that is the case than you should resist from answering such questions. And if being corrected you should learn from that, instead of starting to discuss what makes and what doesn't make sense to you.

rocky_mountains

#19 Post by rocky_mountains »

> Is there at least any command to only download all the packages from online repositories

Not a good idea but this should work (as root):

aptitude update
aptitude install '~n .*' -y

For information on how to download all in a category, all with "KDE" in the name and other advanced searches see:

man aptitude

cat /usr/share/doc/aptitude/README

Rocky

Randicus

#20 Post by Randicus »

The OP has explained the misguided desire for all packages both here and at Linux Questions.
rupeshforu3 wrote:Actually I am interested in operating system programming but I am a newbie to unix. In order to enhance my skills in programming and system administration with not feeling bohr.
Here, you have been informed of why the answer is no, and some good advice has been given at LQ for what you should do. Heed the advice and good luck in your endeavours.