Delaying a startup app

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask
Message
Author
arzgi
Posts: 852
Joined: 2008-02-21 17:03
Location: Finland
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Delaying a startup app

#21 Post by arzgi »

jakoline1 wrote: 2021-07-19 18:29
Debian live = Bundled annoying software and much less stable
Debian non-free = Only less stable (as far as my experience goes)

That's what I got when I tested them out, especially Debian-live, I guess there is a reason why it's not the preferred installation method.
No. as sunrat already hinted, non-free packages are not GPL, usually just device drivers from manufacturers.

If you download for example some copyrighted music or video to your home folder, how would that make your system less stable?

The history behind was that developers added non-free to make things easier for Debian users, at the same time Richard Stallman stopped supporting
Debian.

There even is virtual Richard Stallman as vrms package to show, how 'infected' you system is

Code: Select all

$ vrms
                Non-free packages installed on acer

amd64-microcode                     Processor microcode firmware for AMD CPUs
firmware-amd-graphics               Binary firmware for AMD/ATI graphics chips
firmware-linux-nonfree              Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kerne
firmware-misc-nonfree               Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kerne
intel-microcode                     Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs

                Contrib packages installed on acer

iucode-tool                         Intel processor microcode tool
translate-shell                     Command-line translator using Google Translate, etc.

  5 non-free packages, 0.3% of 1981 installed packages.
  2 contrib packages, 0.1% of 1981 installed packages.

jakoline1
Posts: 54
Joined: 2021-07-06 00:49
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Delaying a startup app

#22 Post by jakoline1 »

Create a new text file and type () then leave it somewhere, done? Now open a terminal and execute (), is it the same?
Leaving files resting on your hard drive is not like executing 'em, and music is not like non-free drivers!

Stability is not measured by inches, stability is a broad term, and in this context it means that I face far less problems when running vanilla Debian than when running Debian-live or Debian non-free, especially Debian-live.

I'm thankful for making me know about vrms tool, but I think your argument doesn't make any sense.

PS: To anyone reading this please DO NOT EXECUTE the above command, it will wipe your entire operating system.
Last edited by 4D696B65 on 2021-07-27 04:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed dangerous code

Lonewolf71
Posts: 61
Joined: 2021-06-30 21:38
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Delaying a startup app

#23 Post by Lonewolf71 »

jakoline1 wrote: 2021-07-20 20:03 Create a new text file and type () then leave it somewhere, done? Now open a terminal and execute (), is it the same?
Leaving files resting on your hard drive is not like executing 'em, and music is not like non-free drivers!

Stability is not measured by inches, stability is a broad term, and in this context it means that I face far less problems when running vanilla Debian than when running Debian-live or Debian non-free, especially Debian-live.

I'm thankful for making me know about vrms tool, but I think your argument doesn't make any sense.

PS: To anyone reading this please DO NOT EXECUTE the above command, it will wipe your entire operating system.
Why put a command like that if it's going to wipe a person's system? ESPECIALLY NOOBS :x There should have been a disclaimer right along side of it in red/bold because some people may have not noticed the bottom or just read part of the reply. extremely unprofessional! I come here to learn, not take a risk and follow commands not knowing it could harm my system! Thank GOD I didn't use it.

User avatar
sunrat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3782
Joined: 2006-08-29 09:12
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Delaying a startup app

#24 Post by sunrat »

Lonewolf71 wrote: 2021-07-27 03:40
jakoline1 wrote: 2021-07-20 20:03 Create a new text file and type () then leave it somewhere, done? Now open a terminal and execute (), is it the same?
Leaving files resting on your hard drive is not like executing 'em, and music is not like non-free drivers!

Stability is not measured by inches, stability is a broad term, and in this context it means that I face far less problems when running vanilla Debian than when running Debian-live or Debian non-free, especially Debian-live.

I'm thankful for making me know about vrms tool, but I think your argument doesn't make any sense.

PS: To anyone reading this please DO NOT EXECUTE the above command, it will wipe your entire operating system.
Why put a command like that if it's going to wipe a person's system? ESPECIALLY NOOBS :x There should have been a disclaimer right along side of it in red/bold because some people may have not noticed the bottom or just read part of the reply. extremely unprofessional! I come here to learn, not take a risk and follow commands not knowing it could harm my system! Thank GOD I didn't use it.
Admin has removed the dangerous code. It is a great lesson for noobs not to execute any random code found on the internet. Lesson learned if they do try it!
Another lesson which should be one of the first things to learn is make regular backups of your system, then a catastrophe can be restored in minutes rather than hours to reinstall the whole OS.
It's also important to learn about super cow powers.

Code: Select all

apt moo
Not dangerous! :lol: :mrgreen:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Lonewolf71
Posts: 61
Joined: 2021-06-30 21:38
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Delaying a startup app

#25 Post by Lonewolf71 »

I backup all the time

jakoline1
Posts: 54
Joined: 2021-07-06 00:49
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Delaying a startup app

#26 Post by jakoline1 »

Lonewolf71 wrote: 2021-07-27 03:40 Why put a command like that if it's going to wipe a person's system?
To show the difference between storing a file and executing a command?
Lonewolf71 wrote: 2021-07-27 03:40 There should have been a disclaimer right along side of it in red/bold because some people may have not noticed the bottom or just read part of the reply. extremely unprofessional!
This is not a wiki, there are limited text editing options in here, they should focus on that instead of deploying a thank-you button. How do you write a disclaimer in the middle of another sentence? It has to come after.

My reply clearly showed that this command is not to be executed and that it was only written as part of an argument, it was not even put inside code tags so you had to start reading my post in order to notice that there is code. Then I added that note at the end just for extra caution.

@4D696B65 You saw this and didn't think it was dangerous, then a week later a request was made and you decided it was dangerous?

jakoline1
Posts: 54
Joined: 2021-07-06 00:49
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Delaying a startup app

#27 Post by jakoline1 »

Lonewolf71 wrote: 2021-07-20 12:56 I have seen videos where Debian has a store, but it was on Gnome, is that strictly for Gnome? I have yet to see a store for MATE :?
I normally install the Debian installer where it offers all the DE's.
These app stores are known to be buggy I really don't recommend 'em.
Anyway here are your options:

*apt-get (command line)
*synaptic (all-in-one graphical package management tool, highly efficient)
*muon (graphical)
*plasma-discover (graphical)
*apper (graphical)
*gnome-software (graphical - this is the one you're looking for)

I suggest you only use apt-get (or just apt) combined with synaptic/muon when necessary, other options on this list may cause trouble.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/l ... e_or_just/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kubuntu/commen ... t_working/
https://www.fossadventures.com/the-sad- ... e-leap-15/

Post Reply