Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Software and Updates ... "Other Software"

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
otello.an

Software and Updates ... "Other Software"

#1 Post by otello.an »

I noticed this weird thing about Software and Updates (software-properties-gtk) when launched alone.

The problem affects the "Other software" section. If I try to deselect a repo, the program hangs (when it should normally ask for the password for confirmation). While, very strangely, in the other sections (Debian Software, Updates ... etc) it works regularly.

The strangest thing is that if I launch the same software inside the package manager (synaptic) and access the repo from there, everything works fine.

Strange, isn't it?

Using Debian Bullseye 11 - GNOME 3.38.6

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Software and Updates ... "Other Software"

#2 Post by Hallvor »

File a bug report?
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Software and Updates ... "Other Software"

#3 Post by NFT5 »

In Synaptic you're already signed in with elevated privileges but in the others that isn't always the case. Only in Bullseye I've noticed that there are a few programs that, when needing to elevate privileges, don't open the window to enter your password. Quite often it's there, but hidden under the current window while at other times it needs to be manually brought up from the Task Manager.

It's not something that I've found necessary to investigate further but I'd suspect it has to do with how it's handled by pkexec.