Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[RESOLVED] Replacement For LibreOffice

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Caitlin

[RESOLVED] Replacement For LibreOffice

#1 Post by Caitlin »

I want to replace LibreOffice -- I'm sick and tired of changing something only to have it change other things as well, so that I have to change those other things back again.

Can anyone recommend anything? Something that doesn't have a mind of its own.

Take care,

Caitlin
Last edited by Caitlin on 2016-06-19 03:37, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Replacement For LibreOffice

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

pylkko

#3 Post by pylkko »

what on earth do you mean with "changing one thing and having it change everything else also"?

What about Abiword?

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/abiword

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Do you mean a "alternative" for LibreOffice ?
http://alternativeto.net/software/libreoffice/

I also am not sure what is meant by
"changing one thing and having it change everything else also"
Also with out knowing exactly what it is you are trying to do with LibreOffice,
I don't know what to suggest. I do not use it much myself, usually I can do what
I need to just with a text editor, How ever for some kinds of "documents", LibreOffice,
or something similar is needed.
I had problems doing translations, and then putting them into PDF document form,
and all though I could do it with Libre Office, it was cumbersome, and complicated to
me, so any way, I found in the Debian repos,
"scribus"
It also is in the Debian repositories, any way I found it much easier to use
then Libre Office, I don' use it to "replace" Libre Office, but pretty close, with
Scribus, there is not much need for Libre Office, however, and I don't remember
exactly what it was, but I did still use Libre Office, to complete the task,
It is impossible to suggest anything , with out some idea of what it is
you are trying to do, or need to do.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#5 Post by arochester »

There's https://www.wps.com/ ( although some people seem to have something about stuff owned by Chinese!)

If you want something simple there's https://nllgg.nl/Ted/

pylkko

#6 Post by pylkko »

or for something really simple, use google docs (online word processor).

Gary uses scribus, but my understanding is that that is a desktop publishing software, similar to the industrially much used Adobe InDesign, so while it can be used as a word processor it is intended for being able to produce files that can be sent to printing houses and publishers for printing. such software can for example produce colors using special industrial codes that guanrantee that when they are printed, they appear as on screen, and not a shade off, or for complex layouts such as in magazines and so on, whereas word processors are ususally for the purpose of producing office documents and for making the content that is eventually thrown in to a desktop publishing program to produce a file that can be sent to a publisher. so therefore, likely, much more complex than libreoffice

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

That looks pretty good, also there is a "wps2odt", package listed in the repos,
there is a whole bunch of interesting packages, starting with "wp".
Gary uses scribus, but my understanding is that that is a desktop publishing software-----snip--- layouts such as in magazines and so on,
This is true, and that was why I needed it, to produce documents, and pages that will
be "published", printed, for a small newspaper.
Since it is not very clear as to what the OP needs to do, kind of hard to say what
would be best.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2016-06-13 03:14, edited 1 time in total.

Alley Cat

#8 Post by Alley Cat »

Apparently Open Office is still around (www.openoffice.org), but since Libre is a fork of OO it may not solve the OP's issue.

Tried the rest... Now using the best!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by sunrat »

pylkko wrote:what on earth do you mean with "changing one thing and having it change everything else also"?

What about Abiword?
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/abiword
+1 Abiword is good if your word processing needs are fairly basic.

It's hard to make recommendations without knowing what the actual problems are though. They may be fixable in LibreOffice.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

rhy7s

#10 Post by rhy7s »

Not knowing the problem doesn't give much to go on, but maybe you need to alter the default template to match your usual settings?

Caitlin

#11 Post by Caitlin »

pylkko wrote:what on earth do you mean with "changing one thing and having it change everything else also"?
I didn't say "change everything else". I said
Caitlin wrote:change other things as well
For example: I take a copy of some text and paste it in somewhere. All of a sudden the text BEFORE the inserted text changes font style and color. Now I have to use the format painter and Font Effects to change that back again.

Another example: you can't just underscore one letter of a word -- LibreOffice will assume you mean the WHOLE word and underscore it. This is really annoying. (Yes, I know how to get around that. But I'd really not have to.)

I use the Word Processing component for letters and other documents.

I'll look into some of those alternatives.

Thanks,

Caitlin

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#12 Post by arochester »

I had to try this!
I take a copy of some text and paste it in somewhere. All of a sudden the text BEFORE the inserted text changes font style and color. Now I have to use the format painter and Font Effects to change that back again.
Not here.
you can't just underscore one letter of a word -- LibreOffice will assume you mean the WHOLE word and underscore it. This is really annoying. (Yes, I know how to get around that. But I'd really not have to.)
I can underscore one letter.

What version of LibreOffice are you using? I have Version: 5.0.2.2

pylkko

#13 Post by pylkko »

Caitlin wrote:
I didn't say "change everything else". I said
Caitlin wrote:change other things as well

What is your point here? Does this relate to something real or are you just bringing this point out in order to be able to do just that?
Caitlin wrote:For example: I take a copy of some text and paste it in somewhere. All of a sudden the text BEFORE the inserted text changes font style and color. Now I have to use the format painter and Font Effects to change that back again.
You can avoid this by having the style of the text that you paste to be correct to begin with. That is, instead of manually changing all the properties of a paragraph, use a style that has the proper properties. Then paste the text that you cut without properties (special paste / unformatted text). This will the always force the text that you insert to adapt the properties assigned by the style to the area into which you paste.
Caitlin wrote: Another example: you can't just underscore one letter of a word -- LibreOffice will assume you mean the WHOLE word and underscore it. This is really annoying. (Yes, I know how to get around that. But I'd really not have to.)
If you place the cursor inside a word and apply underscore or italics, the word entirely will be changed accordingly. How ever, if you want to change the properties of one single letter, you need to select that, and then apply the change. This is how it works, and has worked in all versions of LO that I have had, although there might be buggy versions out there where this does not work.

Bulkley

#14 Post by Bulkley »

Caitlin, care to try a little experiment? Rename ~/.libreoffice and restart LibreOffice. It will create a new, default ~/.libreoffice. Does that help?

Explore the Format menu. Formatting and saving prior to starting a document helps to stabilize LibreOffice.

pcalvert

#15 Post by pcalvert »

Hi Caitlin,

Calligra Suite is a possible replacement for LibreOffice. Be aware, though, that it depends on KDE components.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

fernandocesarpinto

Re: [RESOLVED] Replacement For LibreOffice

#17 Post by fernandocesarpinto »

OnlyOffice is crazy good, thanks for that.. how do we recommend adding this in official Debian repo?

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [RESOLVED] Replacement For LibreOffice

#18 Post by canci »

fernandocesarpinto wrote: 2022-01-27 12:01 OnlyOffice is crazy good, thanks for that.. how do we recommend adding this in official Debian repo?
Become a package maintainer on Debian for OnlyOffice or ask/pay someone to do it. :)
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources