Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
y0shi

#1 Post by y0shi »

thanx for opening...

i m not sure wether i messed up my security, but i m not able to log in as root in terminal yes but not in general. what do i have to do?
i want to write something in my fstab and i also dont have midnight commander well

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by Jeroen »

You should not login as root in general, graphically. A lot of graphical applications don't really fair well running as root, and it's dangerous to do.

You mbest merely open the applications you need as root, for example, your favourite editor. In a terminal, become root via 'su' or 'sudo', and then spawn your editor (learning how to use, for example, 'nano' is beneficial though, in case you need to solve something while you don't have a graphical shell available).

Axopro

#3 Post by Axopro »

That happened once to me after i messed up the passwd file.
I restored the file using a live cd.. i think it was ubuntu. There is a passwd- file in the /etc directory that is actually a backup of the original "passwd"

This might not be your problem but.. who knows.. it might help.

Admin:...
i installed my debian with root, and never created another user.. so i am alway loged on as root.
You mentioned that there are problems with the graphical enviroment because of this?... can you give more details?.
KDE seems to be written by noobs in my computer because of the many bugs i am finding in it... so now you got me thinking if this is because i am root all the time....

Thanks.

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

Root gives a user the authority to do anything and everything he wants to do with any file in any directory on the hard drive. n00bs do stupid things! For instance, about three years ago, some n00b -- let's call him Harry -- was logged on as root and wanted to print a man page from the command line. n00b did man -t manpage > lpr. Took the better part of a week to understand and correct the consequences. :-(

y0shi

#5 Post by y0shi »

thanx
i now solved my problem in simple installing mc and did everything over the root midnight terminal