Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Experiences with f.lux/Redshift in Debian 10 GNOME

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Lysander

Experiences with f.lux/Redshift in Debian 10 GNOME

#1 Post by Lysander »

I am interested to know what people use for colour adjustment in Debian 10. Since there is the choice available to use Xorg or Wayland, there are more options than beforehand, however, some work a lot better than others. I have tested f.lux, Redshift and GNOME Night Light and these are my experiences. I like to be able to control these applications during the day and night, which makes things a little more complicated.

Redshift - normally my preference, Redshift does not work at all in Wayland. It does work in Xorg, but it's temperamental, flicking on and off when certain applications are opened.

f.lux - works but there is no way that I have found to configure it. This means that it is off during the day. Launching fluxgui does not bring up a config box or icon, which would normally be accessible via the [now removed] legacy menu. Even using the GNOME shell extension Topicons Plus, the f.lux icon still does not appear or make configuration accessible, so this is unworkable.

GNOME Night Light - this works best with the Night Light Slider shell extension and it's this combination I currently use. Night Light Slider allows one to set GNOME Night Light to be on 24/7, however, one has to manually adjust the temperature in the day and night. I have it set to 6000 during the day and 5000 at night. Manually adjusting it is a little bit of a pain but totally workable.

What do others use and has anyone found a way to make these programs [Redshift/f.lux] work properly?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Experiences with f.lux/Redshift in Debian 10 GNOME

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

https://getkiss.org/wiki/set-color-temp ... nightmode)

EDIT: but I just use GNOME's night light (with no extensions), it's fully automatic.
deadbang

Cyborg

#3 Post by Cyborg »

To use Redshift, I set up an application autostart command on XFCE:

Code: Select all

redshift -l manual -l [your latitude and longitude]
I've never had the issues you describe; it just works and isn't "temperamental" at all.
I'm using redshift 1.12-2 on Debian Testing.
Good luck!

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Hallvor »

Redshift (with plasmoid).
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Lysander

#5 Post by Lysander »

Cyborg wrote: I've never had the issues you describe; it just works and isn't "temperamental" at all.
Xfce doesn't support Wayland, that's why. This is about GNOME which uses Wayland by default, not Xfce.

Wheelerof4te

#6 Post by Wheelerof4te »

GNOME's Night Light in Buster works as intended on both Wayland and Xorg (I'm using Wayland).

Lysander

#7 Post by Lysander »

Wheelerof4te wrote:GNOME's Night Light in Buster works as intended on both Wayland and Xorg (I'm using Wayland).
Wheeler, do you have it on during the day or just a night?

Wheelerof4te

#8 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^ Just at night. I keep the brightness down during the day. It is enough.

NarriT4010

#9 Post by NarriT4010 »

Both Night Light and Redshift don't work here. Just installed the Debian weekly build, is there a alternative software to try ?