Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Xiphos Not Working Properly in Debian 10

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Rick B.

Xiphos Not Working Properly in Debian 10

#1 Post by Rick B. »

Has anyone been able to get Xiphos 4.1.0 (gtk3 webkit1) running properly in Debian 10 Buster? The drop down menus don't work the way they should with up and down arrows (they are missing), making the application somewhat difficult to use, though usable with extra work. For me it has only worked well on Ubuntu based distros. Research reveals it is a gtk3 problem. A posting from Manjaro states that gtk 3.24.7 solves the issue. Can anyone help me solve this issue? Thanks.

sgage

Re: Xiphos Not Working Properly in Debian 10

#2 Post by sgage »

Rick B. wrote:Has anyone been able to get Xiphos 4.1.0 (gtk3 webkit1) running properly in Debian 10 Buster? The drop down menus don't work the way they should with up and down arrows (they are missing), making the application somewhat difficult to use, though usable with extra work. For me it has only worked well on Ubuntu based distros. Research reveals it is a gtk3 problem. A posting from Manjaro states that gtk 3.24.7 solves the issue. Can anyone help me solve this issue? Thanks.
Seems to work properly here - menus work normally. Not sure what you mean by "The drop down menus don't work the way they should with up and down arrows (they are missing)".

Rick B.

#3 Post by Rick B. »

For each Bible book, chapter and verse there should be up and down pointers on the screen when you click on book, chapter or verse to be able to roll forward or backward. On my Debian 10 version the pointers are missing and you can only use the books, chapters or verses that are on the screen and not roll forward or backward. The pointers are there in my Linux Mint 118/19/20 versions of Xiphos but not in the Debian 10 version of Xiphos.

sgage

#4 Post by sgage »

Rick B. wrote:For each Bible book, chapter and verse there should be up and down pointers on the screen when you click on book, chapter or verse to be able to roll forward or backward. On my Debian 10 version the pointers are missing and you can only use the books, chapters or verses that are on the screen and not roll forward or backward. The pointers are there in my Linux Mint 118/19/20 versions of Xiphos but not in the Debian 10 version of Xiphos.
Now I see what you mean. Same issue is indeed occurring here. I wonder if backports can supply the appropriate version of gtk3, or if there are just too many dependencies. I will try xiphos on my bullseye installation, and see what version of gtk3 is there...

sgage

#5 Post by sgage »

Whoops! Xiphos has been removed from the repos in bullseye, replaced by BibleTime. I wonder how hard Xiphos is to compile...

Rick B.

#6 Post by Rick B. »

All I need is an updated version of gtk3 which should solve the problem. The same problem exists with LMDE 4 (Mint based on Debian instead of Ubuntu). Ubuntu also removed Xiphos from the respository and Crosswire no longer offers compiled versions of Xiphos. Like, there seems to be a conspiracy against Xiphos!

Installing Xiphos from source is a complex and time consuming process for anyone who is not an intermediate to advanced Linux user. You can see the instructions here if you page down:

https://github.com/crosswire/xiphos/blo ... INSTALL.md

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Have you tried the flatpak version?

FWIW, there are several other SWORD-related programs available if Xiphos won't work properly for you.

EDIT: for a simple compilation guide see the build() function in the AUR PKGBUILD: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ ... xiphos#n39
deadbang

cuckooflew

#8 Post by cuckooflew »

I all ways have good results with "bibletime", never had heard of Xiphos , until now.
===== edit ===,
I had never noticed this before, but BibleTime uses the Xiphos libraries, if one wants them,..it is a optional choice, Image
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

Rick B.

#9 Post by Rick B. »

To: Head_on-a-stcik,

I tried the flatpak version in both Debian 10 and LMDE 4 and it has a serious font problem which makes using it impossible. I can't read it or install any books. So that is out. I just hope somewhere in the Debian community somone can assist me in solving this problem with the drop down menus not being able to roll forward or backward. Linux Mint has been no help and the Crosswire team has helped minimally. I have used both Xiphos and Bibletime for years, as well as The Word which runs under Wine.

cuckooflew

#10 Post by cuckooflew »

You could try running 'xiphos' from a terminal, there might be some clues in the terminal out put, even if you don't see anything, maybe copy/paste it here,...especially look for what it shows when you select those buttons and try clicking them.
Here is a example, but using bibletime, in this case the error occured when it was still loading,and I moved the mouse around, but once the program loads it works ok, or seems to any way,..

Code: Select all

cuckoo@debian:~$ bibletime
ERROR: corrupt data during decompression.
(BibleTime 2.11.2) WARNING: javascript console : "Uncaught TypeError: btHtmlJsObject.mouseMoveEvent is not a function" 
I doubt anyone here will show much interest, I might be wrong though, any way I think your best option would be to submit a bug report, and/or contact the maintainer,
https://packages.debian.org/buster/xiphos
Rick B. » Linux Mint has been no help and the Crosswire team has helped minimally. I
why do you turn to Linux Mint? that is not Debian.
Any way , you should try contacting the DEBIAN package maintaners, not Linux Mint,...I see they actually are working on it, since Debian Bullseye is not a release yet, it is testing, if you do not communicate with them, the bug might very well go unnoticed and not fixed , see these:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepo ... t=unstable
Then go to :
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=964098
[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]

Yes, that would be good.
There's some patches and bugs too.
It would be good if the new release would fix those issues.
I was thinking of working on this after a week or so time permitting.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Teus Benschop
The only thing is, they don't mention what the "issues" are. but any way, the e-mail , and list addresses
are in the entire post, I just did not copy/paste them here.
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and

Rick B.

#11 Post by Rick B. »

To: cuckooflew, You didn't read all my posts carefully. I mentioned LMDE 4 which IS Linux Mint Debian Edition, based on Debian 10. LMDE 3 was based on Debian 9 and so forth. The first release of LMDE was in March 2014. See here and page down: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Min ... on_history

You must not be that familiar with all of Mint's projects. They also have their main distro Linux Mint available in Cinnamon, MATE and Xcfe desktops. I originally inquired of them based on installing LMDE 4 and having this problem with Xiphos.

Calling Xiphos from the Terminal makes no difference; the problem is still there. I will try submitting a bug report with Debian since the problem does NOT exist with Mint main edition or Ubuntu based distros. Thanks.

cuckooflew

#12 Post by cuckooflew »

Actually, I did try to read your posts carefully, but found that the more I tried, the more confused I got, (no fault of yours, I get confused easily, probably the meds I take, but anyway that is another topic)
by Rick B. »You must not be that familiar with all of Mint's projects
No, I do not use it, tried it several years ago, but for many reasons, did not use it very long,....any way, we are talking about Debian, aren't we ?
by Rick B. »Calling Xiphos from the Terminal makes no difference; the problem is still there.
Nooo, I did not mean to give the impression it would make any difference or fix anything,...guess I confused you, by not being more clear,..
Me:You could try running 'xiphos' from a terminal, there might be some clues in the terminal out put,
Maybe H-O_A_S, can clarify, when he gets here,... what I mean is if you run it from the terminal, you should see some messages about what is going on, and maybe there will be some error messages that give us a clue as to what goes wrong, Did you see any thing in the terminal ? Try looking at what it says......
by Rick B. » I will try submitting a bug report with Debian since the problem does NOT exist with Mint main edition or Ubuntu based distros. Thanks.
Yes, but maybe , wait,...you know, supposedly they use some proprietary (non -free) software/firmware, and drivers. Debian dose not, not in a default installation, and there might be something you can install,
in fact you even said something about that:
by Rick B. » 2020-07-02 15:10
All I need is an updated version of gtk3 which should solve the problem.

Debian dose not use the most uptodate, "shiny , newest" versions of some software either,...this is one of the big differences between Debian and the other distros, ....but any way, yes I think a bug report is a good idea, I may try installing it , Xiphos my self and see what I get as well. But later, I am really busy and am not sure when I will get a chance..
Installing Xiphos from source is a complex and time consuming process--- snip---
Yes it would be , especially since it is intended to run under/with gnome,...and that is one reason I am reluctant to try installing it, I don't want all the gnome dependencies , etc.... later
and

cuckooflew

#13 Post by cuckooflew »

Here is what I mean about running it from the terminal,...:
And you can see there is a error message, ..Also, below is the message text:

Code: Select all

cuckoo@debian:~$ xiphos

(xiphos:2018): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 08:56:11.196: gdk_window_get_window_type: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
and

cuckooflew

#14 Post by cuckooflew »

I no longer get the error, also, as you can see the arrow buttons are showing, and they work,
I can not duplicate the problem,... ?? I am running Debian 10 on a VM, and Xiphos works fine, as well as Bible Time, no need for other version of gtk3,
note :if you are missing some firmware, getting a newer version of gtk3 won't fix that.

Post by Rick B. » 2020-07-02 12:18
For each Bible book, chapter and verse there should be up and down pointers on the screen when you click on book, chapter or verse to be able to roll forward or backward. On my Debian 10 version the pointers are missing and you can only use the books, chapters or verses that are on the screen and not roll forward or backward. The pointers are there in my Linux Mint 118/19/20 versions of Xiphos but not in the Debian 10 version of Xiphos.
=======================
As you can see, they are there, and work...
and

filozofio

#15 Post by filozofio »

I no longer get the error, also, as you can see the arrow buttons are showing, and they work,
I can not duplicate the problem,... ?? I am running Debian 10 on a VM, and Xiphos works fine, as well as Bible Time, no need for other version of gtk3,
What did you do?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Post by sunrat »

filozofio wrote: 2021-09-15 03:23
What did you do?
Please don't necrobump old threads. This one is over a year old and OP has not visited the forum since February.
If you have an issue with xiphos, start a new thread.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Victor Brand

#17 Post by Victor Brand »

It's good that this thread was necroposted. I've been using Debian for more than 12 years, but I've learned about this amazing program just now. That's a great deal for a translator and anyone interested in languages and ancient history. Vulgata, Textus Receptus, Westcott and Hort edition in Greek - I never thought I can just install all of those texts through a Debian package manager and have it on my disk. I'm yet to find Wulfila's Gospel though.

Why haven't I come to this forum earlier?