Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Debian package search engine gone on firefox 78 ?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
SkilleR666

[Solved] Debian package search engine gone on firefox 78 ?

#1 Post by SkilleR666 »

Hi,

Firefox got updated to version 78 yesterday, and the main thing i noticed is the removing of debian package repo search engine, which i use multiple time a day.

I don't see this in changelog or in any recent commit in firefox code, no information on debian side, so anyone know what happen ?
I tried a restore of search engine in the case that was a bug that occurred during upgrade, but debian repo search engine is definitely gone :/
Last edited by SkilleR666 on 2020-07-02 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

cuckooflew

Re: Debian package search engine gone on firefox 78 ?

#2 Post by cuckooflew »

Considering that there is not a "firefox 78 " in the Debian repositories, the first question is, where did you get this package to start with, ? Firefox-esr is in the Debian repositories, and that is what I use, no problems with it .
I don't see this in changelog or in any recent commit in firefox code, no information on debian side,
Well you wouldn't see anything on the "Debian side", since Debian uses Firefox-esr, but I did a little bit of searching for you, and do find this:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/7 ... easenotes/ Please note, you are using a "outdated" version, in the 78.0.1 release this bug is fixed,..
Fixed

Image Fixed an issue which could cause installed search engines to not be visible when upgrading from a previous release.
I suggest contacting support at Firefox, but also maybe upgrading again will restore your "search engine"..
Another alternative is just use google, or startpage.com, or one of the many other search engines, EG:
I know we have some other members that use Firefox, instead of the Debian supported "firefox-esr", maybe one of them will know more then I do on this,... I stick with packages that are in the Debian repositories as much as possible, so am not much help.
==========================edited===========
Did you try following the instructions here ? : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ch ... arch-panel for adding or removing search engines.
Did you try doing any searches at all ?
Last edited by cuckooflew on 2020-07-02 05:33, edited 2 times in total.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

cuckooflew

#3 Post by cuckooflew »

Also you can just use the search feature at the Debian packages:
https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
Search package directories
Keyword:
Search on: Package names only Descriptions Source package names
Only show exact matches:
==================
https://packages.debian.org/stable/
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

cuckooflew wrote:there is not a "firefox 78 " in the Debian repositories
Well actually: https://packages.debian.org/sid/firefox

@OP: try firefox-esr instead :mrgreen:
deadbang

SkilleR666

#5 Post by SkilleR666 »

cuckooflew wrote:Considering that there is not a "firefox 78 " in the Debian repositories, the first question is, where did you get this package to start with, ? Firefox-esr is in the Debian repositories, and that is what I use, no problems with it .
I don't see this in changelog or in any recent commit in firefox code, no information on debian side,
Well you wouldn't see anything on the "Debian side", since Debian uses Firefox-esr, but I did a little bit of searching for you, and do find this:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/7 ... easenotes/ Please note, you are using a "outdated" version, in the 78.0.1 release this bug is fixed,..
Fixed

Image Fixed an issue which could cause installed search engines to not be visible when upgrading from a previous release.
I suggest contacting support at Firefox, but also maybe upgrading again will restore your "search engine"..
Another alternative is just use google, or startpage.com, or one of the many other search engines, EG:
I know we have some other members that use Firefox, instead of the Debian supported "firefox-esr", maybe one of them will know more then I do on this,... I stick with packages that are in the Debian repositories as much as possible, so am not much help.
==========================edited===========
Did you try following the instructions here ? : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ch ... arch-panel for adding or removing search engines.
Did you try doing any searches at all ?
I use firefox package from sid, so yes there is a firefox in repo. And i mostly use the last version to do test on web app, and with time switching between two version was a pain, so i endup using always the firefox one.

I looked on release note from the last version available in debian repo, that's why i did not see the fix about search engine. And i searched in the source code repo if there is commit about search engine and i did not found anything, that's why ive not looked further about new firefox version. The fix is one day before i updated, so i can't have all last info on anything, i also looked on google about this problem and not found anything (maybe to recent), that's why i finally endup come to ask here.

Yes i already tried the adding of search engine, and that not work, nor searching.

The search itself work, i use duckduckgo and no problem at all. The problem is the disappearance of debian package search.

cuckooflew> That's what i use for now, but when i need info it's more quick to do a ctrl+t type the package name in address bar and directly obtaining the result.

Well the problem is fixed upstream, so i will just wait the update.

cuckooflew

#6 Post by cuckooflew »

Ok, kind of my bad, I just assumed you are running Debian 10, Buster, guess I should have remembered to ask what version of Debian you are using, anyway, there you go, it should be fixed in the next up date,...That is new in Debian sid, that Firefox is back in the repos,...
and

SkilleR666

Re: [Solved] Debian package search engine gone on firefox 78

#7 Post by SkilleR666 »

My fault, i must have to precise i use sid, most user are not supposed to be on unstable.
Well you give the right response, so thank to you ;)

djk44883

#8 Post by djk44883 »

Several months, and versions later - have you been able to restore a debian package search option to firefox's options?

I too noticed it missing. I still have "search debian man pages" but can not get or find a way to add an option to install a package search.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by sunrat »

It seems the Debian Package Search add-on is no longer available. I installed "Context Search" add-on and added Debian package search to that. With it you can highlight a word and search for it via the context menu.
There's also a "Debian queries" extension, haven't tried that one.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Jerome

Re: [Solved] Debian package search engine gone on firefox 78 ?

#10 Post by Jerome »

When installing Bullseye from scratch, I missed the Debian packages search engine.

I picked one from https://mycroftproject.com/search-engin ... ame=debian.

More specifically, this one: https://mycroftproject.com/install.html ... +%28All%29

Hope this helps.

djk44883

Re: [Solved] Debian package search engine gone on firefox 78 ?

#11 Post by djk44883 »

THANKS! works well enough