Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] unusable GUI after booting with live Debian USB

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
stevesr0

[SOLVED] unusable GUI after booting with live Debian USB

#1 Post by stevesr0 »

Hi all,

I downloaded the iso for what I thought was a live version of debian 10.9 and booted it on my computer. After it ran a long time, a screen came up and I explored it for a while before trying to shut it down. After choosing logout to shut down, the screen went blank except for two rectangles. After a few minutes, I shut off the power.

Since this, when I boot into the linux distro on this machine, after log in it just displays a window saying my window manager is not usable. After a few seconds I note that either the fan or the disk is running loudly, so I shut the computer down to avoid possible heat damage.

The windows install on a separate hard drive on the same machine is working fine.

When I boot with a live distro, I can see that the files still exist on the drive.

I am not sure what was mangled on the ssd with the linux distro and I would appreciate any advice about how I can diagnose this and fix.

I realize this isn't providing a bunch of useful technical details; be happy to provide them if people suggest what...

Thanks in advance.

stevesr0
Last edited by stevesr0 on 2021-06-15 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: booted install disk by mistake...now have a problem

#2 Post by p.H »

stevesr0 wrote:I downloaded the iso for what I thought was a live version of debian 10.9
What was it actually ? What is the file name ?

stevesr0

#3 Post by stevesr0 »

Hi,

I just checked and it WAS a live version - 10.9.0 amd64 xfce 2.3 gb.

Because my existing Linux install of Antix Linux (the current stable version 17.4), which is a systemd free derivative of Debian, was messed up after I booted from it and it refused to shut down, I assumed it had done something that a live version wouldn’t do.

I am left uncertain that the Debian iso did the damage; I was hoping that someone has had a similar experience and might have figured out what went wrong and how to fix it.

My backup plan is to do a fresh install in another partition and then transfer the data files from that partition to the new install.

Appreciate any wisdom on relation of this problem to trying a live distro…

Thanks.

stevesr0

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

In the live session, did you mount any of the installed filesystems, browse or write on it ?

Before reinstalling, I would
- check the free space in the installed filesystems,
- try to open a session with another user (create one if needed) to check whether the problem is system-wide or user-specific.

stevesr0

#5 Post by stevesr0 »

It has been fixed!

In the Antix linux forum, someone pointed out to me that I would see the currently selected window manager and could change it from the login screen before logging in. When I did that (using the F1 key) and changed to the window manager that I had been using, everything launched ok. Working with it since then, no great fan noise or any obvious problem.

P.S. I don't know how a "minimalist" window manager became selected, nor why it doesn't support a mouse to change the window manager or do anything else after login. Don't see why booting the live Debian usb would cause that.

Thanks for responses.

stevesr0