Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

colord, dual screen ICC profiles problems

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
nukedathlonman

colord, dual screen ICC profiles problems

#1 Post by nukedathlonman »

I have a KDE environment using the open source AMDGPU kernel driver on an all AMD system. Presently I have two monitors on my system that I like to keep calibrated (nice having two screen that have flat gamma curves and are color calibrated properly so that colors appear the same across both screens).

However, currently only one of my displays (the first display on display port 0) plus my printer are listed in KDE Color Corrections - System Setting Module. From a konsole, colord only shows one display plus my printer. Display Configuration - System settings does show both displays. From a konsole, xrandr also shows both displays.

If I reinstall the colord package, my printer's color profile disappears and both of my displays show up allowing me to setup the color profile on the second monitor. This only lasts until the system gets rebooted however - it goes back to showing only the one display and printer color profiles.

I'm not 100% sure where my failure is, but is there a way to fix this so that both of my displays as well as my printer will show up in Color Corrrections - System Setting Module and colord properly?

jakoline1

Re: colord, dual screen ICC profiles problems

#2 Post by jakoline1 »

I'm so sorry that nobody has answered your question, perhaps you'll be more lucky if you ask at KDE's mailing list or KDE's irc channel. The community is not what it used to be.

https://kde.org/support/mailinglists/
https://userbase.kde.org/IRC_Channels#C ... .2FSupport

nukedathlonman

#3 Post by nukedathlonman »

No worries... I'll hit those places up next. :-)

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

jakoline1 wrote:The community is not what it used to be.
You joined yesterday, did the community change overnight? :mrgreen:
But seriously, this is a user forum so most of us try to help out with issues we have had experience with. The issue presented by the OP here is not one I recall seeing mentioned in the forums previously so likely no-one has experience with it hence no advice or solutions yet.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

nukedathlonman

#5 Post by nukedathlonman »

Yea, well, if/when I figure out what's going on I'll post a solution - I haven't had a problem in the past with this. It's a strange problem - and if any one runs into this, having a solution on hand would be good. :-)

Now does my gaming system need to be color managed - no. But I had picked up a Spyder 5 two years ago for my amateur photowork, and I've become accustomed to having all my screens present material exactly the same as each other (well, except my phone which is prone to over sharpening and over-saturation - no way to calm it down)- I certainty do see some definite advantages of keeping screens calibrated for viewing images, video's and even in games (seeing images as they where meant to be seen).

I'm starting to think this may be down to X - it's only presenting one large 3840x1080 screen to everything. Which has some advantages if I want to stretch things across both screens. But has some distinct disadvantages - possibly why I can't enable an ICC profile on it. Then again, why can I apply an ICC profile to the 2nd screen when I reinstall colord (until I reboot, then I have to do that again)....

Another problem I discovered is that I have tear free video capability on the first display and can make use of variable fresh rates - neither are available on my 2nd screen (both my screens are the same make and model, and the 2nd screen def does have Freesync support turned on).

The graphics card is an undervolted Vega 56 using the open source amdgpu driver (if that matters to anyone). I run a script upon boot to setup my undervolt to match the undervolt settings I use in Windows 10 - the card has been very happy with the settings in both Windows and Linux for a long time.

Hmm (sorry, in deep thought about this)...

jakoline1

#6 Post by jakoline1 »

sunrat wrote:You joined yesterday, did the community change overnight? :mrgreen:
Does joining yesterday means I started using Gnu/Linux since yesterday? You know I was referring to Free Software in general, but you made it sound like I was talking about Debian's Forums in particular so you can then say what you've said.
sunrat wrote:But seriously, this is a user forum so most of us try to help out with issues we have had experience with. The issue presented by the OP here is not one I recall seeing mentioned in the forums previously so likely no-one has experience with it hence no advice or solutions yet
So it's not because there are only 2 registered users online at any time?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

jakoline1 wrote:
sunrat wrote:You joined yesterday, did the community change overnight? :mrgreen:
Does joining yesterday means I started using Gnu/Linux since yesterday? You know I was referring to Free Software in general, but you made it sound like I was talking about Debian's Forums in particular so you can then say what you've said.
No it's not clear what community you were referring to. You know I was making a joke, see the green smiley thing? :wink:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

jakoline1

#8 Post by jakoline1 »

sunrat wrote:You know I was making a joke, see the green smiley thing? :wink:
Alright then, I apologize.