Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Pass required programs won't open

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Slim Nelson

[SOLVED] Pass required programs won't open

#1 Post by Slim Nelson »

Hey guys, been experimenting with Debian again since v11 released and I have an issue where when I try to open gui programs that need super user privileges to open, instead of the prompt asking for password, it does nothing.

For example, when you open gparted, usually the program has a popup asking for admin password but instead, it doesn't pop up and does nothing. Same for Synaptic that usually asks for password I believe. Only happens for these type of programs which has me thinking there is just a privilege problem maybe or something...?
Last edited by Slim Nelson on 2021-08-28 02:34, edited 1 time in total.

mm3100

Re: Pass required programs won't open

#2 Post by mm3100 »

Is your used in sudo group?

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

Have you got "polkit"?

There are different versions of polkit depending on what DE you are using. I'm using LXQt and have LXpolkit.

It needs to be autostarted.

Slim Nelson

#4 Post by Slim Nelson »

I'm in the sudoers file and I have these polkit packages installed that I see running an apt search.
girl.2-polkit-1.0
libmozjs-78-0
libpolkit-agent-1-0
libpolkit-gobject-1-0

And I have polkit.service running plus autostarted.

Edit: I'm running xfce but installed gnome as well during the install process for the extra programs. I uninstalled the gnome environment.

Edit: I think the problem lies in having both gnome and xfce installed because these elevated root gui programs launch fine with polkit in the gnome environment. Shows dialog and works good so if I really wanted it working in xfce. I might have to remove the package that gnome is using for polkit possibly? Any thoughts?

I also installed Debian XFCE only on one of my other laptops and it doesn't have this issue. Only where I tried installing gnome alongside xfce.

Slim Nelson

#5 Post by Slim Nelson »

This can be closed. The problem fixed itself. Not sure if I did anything.

arzgi

#6 Post by arzgi »

Slim Nelson wrote: 2021-08-27 01:06 This can be closed. The problem fixed itself. Not sure if I did anything.
That's not possible, best if you edit the header of your first post in the thread, and add [SOLVED] to it.

Slim Nelson

#7 Post by Slim Nelson »

Ah, 10/4. Thank you. Doing now.