Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

isenkram-cli and isenkram

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mm3100

isenkram-cli and isenkram

#1 Post by mm3100 »

Hello everyone,
Reading through Debian installation manual I stumbled upon isenkram-cli
https://www.debian.org/releases/bullsey ... led-system

Basically, running isenkram-autoinstall-firmware, would automatically add non-free to sources
Installing firmware packages is very likely to require enabling the non-free section of the package archive. As of Debian GNU/Linux 11.0, running the isenkram-autoinstall-firmware command will do that automatically by creating a dedicated file (/etc/apt/sources.list.d/isenkram-autoinstall-firmware.list), pointing at a generic mirror.
Reading man pages of isenkram-autoisntall-firmware, rather lacking, would output necessary packages needed to install. I am a bit at loss here whether it actually automatically installs them or just lists them. Looking at /usr/share/doc/isenkram-cli, it only says in steps it would notify user, list offered packages and then install using packagekit or aptdaemon.

While isenkram package included notifier for DE, so when you plug in new device it will automatically search for missing package.

I find idea of using that rather amazing. And for all new arrives to Debian, usual issues is lack of non-free firmware, so they have to add non-free to sources and find missing packages, which can take some effort to explain to. Especially if they aren't keen on reading documentation. Or is suggested to install with non-free firmware included image.

Just offering them to install isenkram, and run isenkram-autoinstall-firmware would be easy solution to all of those. No need to reinstall, or to explain anything. It would lower barrier and annoyance to all. Those who are interesting

kedaha

Re: isenkram-cli and isenkram

#2 Post by kedaha »

A nice utility, thanks for your post.
I tried it by first removing my firmware-amd-graphics and then running
# isenkram-autoinstall-firmware
and see it automatically created a file in the sources.list.d directory:
# cat isenkram-autoinstall-firmware.list
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye contrib non-free
And looks for and installs the missing firmware.
I think it's a neat idea to put contrib and non-free in sources.list.d rather than in the /etc/apt/sources.list file.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

mm3100

Re: isenkram-cli and isenkram

#3 Post by mm3100 »

It seems that it is smart enough and detects if contrib and non-free are already in sources, as after running it it didn't add it in my case. And I do agree, I like the idea of of putting contrib and non-free is sources.list.d, as that way sources.list file is left untouched. So it wouldn't break anything if new user who has no clue what they are doing messes things up.