Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Bullseye HDMI sound issues

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Gridsah

Debian Bullseye HDMI sound issues

#1 Post by Gridsah »

Hey all,

I installed Debian bullseye and now I see a weird problem.

Whenever I connect a HDMI/DP screen(to watch YouTube video / vlc) and tell pulse to use that as an audio output to HDMI I do not hear a thing and the video starts to race as if it is trying to catch up.

Change that audio back to internal audio controller and the video instantly goes normal again and the sound is normal on the line out.

My pc is ThinkCentre m93p with i5-4590T .

Code: Select all

$ lspci | grep Audio
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
                      HDA Intel HDMI at 0xf7c34000 irq 31
 1 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7c30000 irq 32
$ cat /proc/asound/modules
 0 snd_hda_intel
 1 snd_hda_intel
What other information do you need?

Marie SWE

Re: Debian Bullseye HDMI sound issues

#2 Post by Marie SWE »

Hi :)
Checkout my thread in here if you have the same phenomenon as I did viewtopic.php?f=3&t=149895
@Hallvor solved my problem :D in this post viewtopic.php?p=740599#p740599 with a youtube video..
And in this post viewtopic.php?p=740628#p740628 i mentioned that I I needed to click the little green button to "set as fallback".. for the system to remember the output option and switch automatically between sources

I hope that solves your problem as well. :D
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)
You only have one life, so make the most of it and enjoy it while you can.

Gridsah

#3 Post by Gridsah »

Marie SWE wrote: 2021-08-23 14:00 Hi :)
Checkout my thread in here if you have the same phenomenon as I did viewtopic.php?f=3&t=149895
@Hallvor solved my problem :D in this post viewtopic.php?p=740599#p740599 with a youtube video..
And in this post viewtopic.php?p=740628#p740628 i mentioned that I I needed to click the little green button to "set as fallback".. for the system to remember the output option and switch automatically between sources

I hope that solves your problem as well. :D
hhhhhh Thanks. :D :D :D

Before I post this topic I had already read your posts. That not works for me.

Probably they are not the same problem.

I guess it is a driver problem. Because I met the same problem on FreeBSD 13 which uses a lot of linux drivers. Now I guess they use the same driver and maybe there is a problem with this driver.

However, I am not good in drivers. So I am here to try my luck. :lol: :lol:

Marie SWE

#4 Post by Marie SWE »

Okay, it was a try :)
There are many gurus in here that can do some impressive magic :ghost: So I am pretty sure you will get it solved. :wink:
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)
You only have one life, so make the most of it and enjoy it while you can.

bteciol

#5 Post by bteciol »

I am having almost the exact same problem since I upgraded, and it's driving me crazy. Built in audio and bluetooth audio always work. HDMI audio doesn't. Sometimes, it starts out with the sound progressively getting out of sync with the video. After a while it makes a crackling sound and syncs back up.

If I play a video in VLC and go fullscreen, I get the video racing like you do. VLC gives the error "pulse audio output error: overflow, flushing". If I then switch to youtube on firefox, it is doing the same thing. But, restarting pulseaudio with systemctl reverts back to the out of sync problem.

My hardware is similar. I have an HP elitedesk with a Core i5-4570S. lspci and asound files show the same thing.

I have tried some live discs. An old Debian 10.8 and current Ubuntu 21.04 both work fine. Debian 11 with either Gnome or Xfce don't work.

https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/so ... ated/71356 on the Manjaro forum looks like a similar issue. But the solution turned out to be an unplugged HDMI cable.

I tried both of the suggestions from archwiki here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PulseA ... _crackling. Disabling tsched just made the crackling and resyncing more frequent. The module options didn't seem to help at all.

That does have a link to https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwa ... enDrivers/. So I rebooted the Buster live usb and checked the sound modules.

Buster: lsmod | grep snd::

snd_hda_codec_realtek   122880  1
snd_hda_codec_generic    86016  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     61440  1
snd_hda_intel          49152  7
snd_hda_codec         151552  4 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_core           94208  5 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hwdep              16384  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm               114688  4 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core
snd_timer              36864  1 snd_pcm
snd                    94208  22 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_timer,snd_pcm
soundcore              16384  1 snd
Bullseye: lsmod | grep snd

snd_hda_codec_realtek   151552  1
snd_hda_codec_generic    98304  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
ledtrig_audio          16384  1 snd_hda_codec_generic
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     73728  1
snd_hda_intel          57344  4
snd_intel_dspcfg       28672  1 snd_hda_intel
soundwire_intel        45056  1 snd_intel_dspcfg
snd_soc_core          315392  1 soundwire_intel
snd_compress           32768  1 snd_soc_core
snd_hda_codec         172032  4 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_core          110592  5 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hwdep              16384  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm               135168  7 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,soundwire_intel,snd_compress,snd_soc_core,snd_hda_core
snd_timer              49152  1 snd_pcm
snd                   110592  18 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_timer,snd_compress,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm
soundcore              16384  1 snd
I'm guessing something changed in snd_hda_intel or snd_hda_codec_hdmi. Or I could be on the wrong track. Not sure where to go from here.

greg9

#6 Post by greg9 »

@Gridsah

I am aware another poster has a similar issue on this thread but they need BT.

I have a suggestion for you assuming you are using vlc.
Your alsa output shows you have index=0 card already set as hdmi, index=1 is analog, which is normal.

Why not try vlc playing thru hdmi but using alsa and not pulseaudio?

I assume you have no $HOME/.asoundrc, /etc/asoundrc nor any /etc/modprobe.conf that affects sound,
I do not use vlc plugins but name any that you use as they "might" interfere with sync.

No need to kill or disable pulseaudio
In pavucontrol ensure hdmi is not disabled in the Configuration TAB, optional disable analog

Open VLC and KB combo Ctrl +p
click Audio tab
pulldown output modules and select alsa
pulldown device (similar to youtube) and choose various hdmi out options, they vary from my screenshot to your hardware.
---your correct hdmi may already be selected from your past efforts.
Click on save

https://imgur.com/4yPwuie

Naturally vlc should not show sound muted and volume is raised using vlc and bypasses pavucontrol.

Then play local file and web browser for sound output.

If no sound, ctrl +m for messages and increase level to debug
-> exit vlc and restart local file to see what messages appear.

2 settings work for me.....you can fast change if no sound by now clicking on
audio -> audio device and trying each hdmi out in turn.
For me, hdmi 0 (as its index=0) audio out works
For me, hdmi 0 direct sampling.

https://imgur.com/e3OFdxE

(2) vlc can mod its sync but I can not help you if web browser YT is out of sync. Try another web browser?

YMMV

bteciol

#7 Post by bteciol »

Finally found a fix that works for me, mentioned in this bug report: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... =867548#52

Edit /etc/default/grub and add

intel_iommu=on,igfx_off
to the end of the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT option.
Run update-grub2
Reboot.

Sound is now perfectly synced on all my outputs. I don't know what other implications this setting has though.

woytach

#8 Post by woytach »

Thank you very much @bteciol! My parent's computer has the exact same hardware and exact same issues. Editing `GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT` fixed the problem.