Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

kvm

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
myface69

kvm

#1 Post by myface69 »

In past, I use Mint Cinnamon and then I decided to switch to Debian Cinnamon. I installed win10 in KVM, but that is new to me. I can not find -in configuration - how to change video memory. The win10 runs, but is slow as hell. I have 16G memory, i5 cpu and 2g external video card(nvidia GT710). What I am missing?. Trying to get away from windows, but right now, I have to dual boot. What is the "pass trough" and how do I set it up. I did install "looking glass". Thanks

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: kvm

#2 Post by CwF »

Actually this isn't a simple subject, not because it is complex, but rather a platform dependent question. Many 'how-to's' cover only specific configurations yet are presented as this is how you do it! So keep in mind as you learn, what methods apply to what specifics. Keep in mind a large chunk of info out there is dated and no longer applicable.

After all that you might (should) come to the conclusion that an excellent hardware assisted capable VM system needs to be purpose built and not willy nilly bolted on to whatever you happen to have. I'm thinking of Fiesta and Mustang owners that think they can turn their ride into a GT40.

In your case, a GT710 is ok, but not much more capable than the iGPU in your i5. The e3/i (your i5) consumer grade platform is ok for the purpose, but close to the minimum. Generally amd platforms suck and only work well in specific cases always with many quirk fixes. Depending on your exact board, some quirk fixes might be needed. For a simple high performance solution with 2 lines of simple declarations and everything works - you need an Intel E5, nothing compares to this level of simple.

Looking Glass is neat, like a specific xrandr alt-provider solution, and a little out of scope of simple debian.
It is also for a single monitor. Is that the goal? Consumer nvidia's often don't pass well while the Quadro equivalents will and also can offload back to a host screen without 'looking glass'. It's still slower than a second screen. If you intend to use two monitors, you could. Debian on the i5 iGPU and windows on the nvidia with x2vnc to merge them into functionally a single system. Games and full screen captive things are a different animal, but possible.

Just remember - Platform Specific! What works, doesn't always work. If it does, not always the same....

I've built many for technical applications and not games. Systems with multiple passed devices for the vm to merge diverse function into a single system. For games, I no longer consider it a great solution but a good one. A dedicated box is simply better, similar to Wine that does work, rarely better. For a 100% solution, neither get there...

So first, research 'vfio'