Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

The network manager is missing in Debian 11 LXDE. How to connect to a wireless network?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
tshark

The network manager is missing in Debian 11 LXDE. How to connect to a wireless network?

#1 Post by tshark »

There is no GUI to connect to a wireless network. I don't have wired connection at the moment, so I have to use wi-fi

tshark

Re: The network manager is missing in Debian 11 LXDE. How to connect to a wireless network?

#3 Post by tshark »

1st command:

Code: Select all

02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168NGW [Stone Peak] (rev 10)
2nd:

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:57b3 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Acer 640 × 480 laptop camera
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 8087:0aa7 Intel Corp. Wireless-AC 3168 Bluetooth
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8564:1000 Transcend Information, Inc. JetFlash
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

mm3100

Re: The network manager is missing in Debian 11 LXDE. How to connect to a wireless network?

#4 Post by mm3100 »

You need firmware-iwlwifi firmware for wifi.

As for without network manager, you can use wpa_cli to connect to wifi.

arzgi

#5 Post by arzgi »

$me@acer:~$ cat /etc/debian_version 
$me@acer:~$ aptitude search network-manager
p   budgie-network-manager-applet                               - Network Manager Applet for the budgie-desktop                        
p   network-manager                                             - network management framework (daemon and userspace tools)            
p   network-manager-config-connectivity-debian                  - NetworkManager configuration to enable connectivity checking         
p   network-manager-dev                                         - network management framework (development files)                     
p   network-manager-fortisslvpn                                 - network management framework (Fortinet SSLVPN plugin core)           
p   network-manager-fortisslvpn-gnome                           - network management framework (Fortinet SSLVPN plugin GNOME GUI)      
p   network-manager-gnome                                       - network management framework (GNOME frontend)                        
p   network-manager-l2tp                                        - network management framework (L2TP plugin core)                      
p   network-manager-l2tp-gnome                                  - network management framework (L2TP plugin GNOME GUI)                 
p   network-manager-openconnect                                 - network management framework (OpenConnect plugin core)               
p   network-manager-openconnect-gnome                           - network management framework (OpenConnect plugin GNOME GUI)          
p   network-manager-openvpn                                     - network management framework (OpenVPN plugin core)                   
p   network-manager-openvpn-gnome                               - network management framework (OpenVPN plugin GNOME GUI)              
p   network-manager-pptp                                        - network management framework (PPTP plugin core)                      
p   network-manager-pptp-gnome                                  - network management framework (PPTP plugin GNOME GUI)                 
p   network-manager-ssh                                         - network management framework (SSH plugin core)                       
p   network-manager-ssh-gnome                                   - network management framework (SSH plugin GNOME GUI)                  
p   network-manager-strongswan                                  - network management framework (strongSwan plugin)                     
p   network-manager-vpnc                                        - network management framework (VPNC plugin core)                      
p   network-manager-vpnc-gnome                                  - network management framework (VPNC plugin GNOME GUI) 
There are many options, with network-manger or without, https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse

jakoline1

#6 Post by jakoline1 »

tshark wrote: 2021-08-25 11:43 There is no GUI to connect to a wireless network. I don't have wired connection at the moment, so I have to use wi-fi
Install wicd (a GTK graphical network manager application)
# Become root
$ su

# Install Wicd
$ apt-get install wicd

# Launch Wicd
$ wicd-gtk
Once you've installed and launched Wicd network manager click 'Switch On Wi-Fi' then click 'Refresh' and you should see a list of available networks in your area.

If you can't see any networks offered by wicd then your wifi chip probably requires firmware to work, install the required firmware first as others pointed in previous comments, you may need to enable the non-free repos to do that.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#7 Post by 4D696B65 »

jakoline1 wrote: 2021-08-26 19:30
Install wicd (a GTK graphical network manager application)
wicd was removed from bullseye because of python 2 dependency.

jakoline1

#8 Post by jakoline1 »

It seems Wicd was indeed removed from Debian 11 bullseye as pointed by @4D696B65, I suggest you use nmtui instead, another semi-graphical tool

# Become root
$ su

# Install nmtui (the package itself is called network-manager)
$ apt-get install network-manager

# Launch it by typing in terminal
$ nmtui

Select 'Activate a connection' to get a list of available wireless networks in your area.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#9 Post by arochester »

I don't have wired connection at the moment, so I have to use wi-fi
Can you even connect yet?

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by wizard10000 »

4D696B65 wrote: 2021-08-26 20:14wicd was removed from bullseye because of python 2 dependency.
I did not know this :)

Used to be a big fan but wicd was always slow to connect for me. connman is making me happy these days.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

craigevil

#11 Post by craigevil »

connman works
Description: Intel Connection Manager daemon
The Linux Connection Manager project provides a daemon for managing
Internet connections within embedded devices running the Linux
operating system. The Connection Manager is designed to be slim and to
use as few resources as possible. It is fully modular system that
can be extended through plug-ins. The plug-in approach allows for
easy adaption and modification for various use cases.
ConnMan provies IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity via:
* ethernet
* WiFi, using wpasupplicant
* Cellular, using oFono
* Bluetooth, using bluez
ConnMan implements DNS resolving and caching, DHCP clients for both IPv4 and
IPv6, link-local IPv4 address handling and tethering (IP connection sharing)
to clients via USB, ethernet, WiFi, cellular and Bluetooth.
This package contains the connman daemon and its plugins.
NO need for network-manager and its heavy overhead.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by CwF »

craigevil wrote: 2021-08-26 23:15 NO need for network-manager and its heavy overhead.
No need for connman either, but it is good.
Just use systemd, no package required.

Bulkley

#13 Post by Bulkley »

mm3100 wrote: 2021-08-25 12:25 As for without network manager, you can use wpa_cli to connect to wifi.
Absolutely. Here are instructions.

Use CLI to get on line and then download whatever you need.

BTW, a computer that never moves, such as a desktop tower, only needs one connection. In this case configuring /etc/network/interfaces is all that is needed. I'm typing this on a computer that does not have a network GUI and the connection is flawless.

arzgi

#14 Post by arzgi »

Bulkley wrote: 2021-09-03 18:25
BTW, a computer that never moves, such as a desktop tower, only needs one connection. In this case configuring /etc/network/interfaces is all that is needed. I'm typing this on a computer that does not have a network GUI and the connection is flawless.
Not even /etc/network/interfaces is needed, when I upgraded my desktop tower to Bullsey, it made /etc/systemd/network/20-wired.network

[Match]
Name=enp0s7

[Network]
Address=192.168.1.33/24
Gateway=192.168.1.1
DNS=192.168.1.1

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#15 Post by CwF »

Bulkley wrote: 2021-09-03 18:25 such as a desktop tower, only needs one connection
...any number or type actually.
arzgi wrote: 2021-09-04 14:11 Not even /etc/network/interfaces is needed,... /etc/systemd/network/20-wired.network
Functionally the same thing; both are systemd configuration.

dexl

#16 Post by dexl »

I am having the same problem. Fresh install of Debian 11 LXDE, followed the advice in this thread and I cannot get the wifi to work. Why doesn't Debian 11 LXDE come with wifi enabled by default? Not everyone is a Linux geek. :(

$ lspci |grep Network
07:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev ff)
$ lsusb
bash: lsusb: command not found

$ sudo apt install firmware-iwlwifi
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package firmware-iwlwifi

$ /usr/sbin/connmanctl
bash: /usr/sbin/connmanctl: No such file or directory
$ connmanctl> enable wifi
Error 'wifi': Unknown command
and so on and so forth. The advice given here doesn't work. Please help me try something else. Thank you.

BTW, I installed nm-tray, but Enable wifi is greyed out.

dexl

#17 Post by dexl »

OK, upon reboot, nm-tray shows Enable Wifi with a check mark next to it. When I click on Edit connections nmtui-edit pops up, I put in my network name and password, click add, ok, but nothing happens when I try to switch from wired to wifi in nm-tray. What am I missing?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Post by sunrat »

Installing firmware-iwlwifi is not going to help as that is a Realtek chip. And you need to enable non-free repository to install firmware.
The one you need is firmware-realtek.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#19 Post by Hallvor »

To install missing firmware:

# apt install isenkram-cli
# isenkram-autoinstall-firmware
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD