Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Error "read out of range" booting the ISO image

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
musistashall

Error "read out of range" booting the ISO image

#1 Post by musistashall »

I am using a Debian image in a multi-boot disk, the boot diagrams are given below. When I try to load the OS in live mode, I get the error shown in the screenshot. I try to boot both in EFI (grub2) and Legacy (grub4dos). In EFI mode, the installation from ISO is started and loaded, in Legacy, even the installation does not start. The ISO image is located on another NTFS partition.
Set boot partition:

Code: Select all

search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root DB2BFE72221527AA
export root
Booting the EFI:

if [ "$CPU" == 32 ] ; then set iso_path="/_ISO/LINUX/debian-live-11.0.0-i386-cinnamon.iso"; echo boot debian-live-11.0.0-i386-cinnamon.iso; fi
if [ "$CPU" == 64 ] ; then set iso_path="/_ISO/LINUX/debian-live-11.0.0-amd64-cinnamon.iso"; echo boot debian-live-11.0.0-amd64-cinnamon.iso; fi
loopback loop $iso_path
export loop
set loopback="findiso=${iso_path}"
export loopback
menuentry "Debian 11 bullseye DVD Live" {
  set gfxpayload=keep

if [ "$CPU" == 64 ] ; then 
     echo kernel vmlinuz-5.10.0-8-amd64
     linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz-5.10.0-8-amd64 boot=live components locales=ru_RU.UTF-8 vga=791 quiet splash "${loopback}"
     initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img-5.10.0-8-amd64
  elif [ "$CPU" == 32 ] ; then 
     echo kernel vmlinuz-5.10.0-8-686
     linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz-5.10.0-8-686 boot=live components locales=ru_RU.UTF-8 quiet splash "${loopback}"
     initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img-5.10.0-8-686
  fi
}
Moreover, in this way x86 can be loaded, x64 gives the specified error. Installing the OS from the image works in both bit sizes.

Booting the Legasy (grub4dos):

title Debian 11 cinnamon amd64 Linux
fallback 6
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /_ISO/LINUX/debian-live-11.0.0-amd64-cinnamon.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /_ISO/LINUX/debian-live-11.0.0-amd64-cinnamon.iso (0xff) || map --mem /_ISO/LINUX/debian-live-11.0.0-amd64-cinnamon.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)
kernel /live/vmlinuz-5.10.0-8-amd64 boot=live components locales=ru_RU.UTF-8 quiet splash findiso=/_ISO/LINUX/debian-live-11.0.0-amd64-cinnamon.iso
initrd /live/initrd.img-5.10.0-8-amd64
In legacy mode, the live booting starts only if the ISO image is fully loaded into memory, otherwise it simply flies back to the menu without reporting any errors.

Please help me boot the image