Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved]Debian 11, firefox-esr is not supported for online meetings

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
sspphheerraa

[solved]Debian 11, firefox-esr is not supported for online meetings

#1 Post by sspphheerraa »

Hello. I need to participate in online webinars here. But firefox-esr (78.13.0esr) is not supported. In another computer I have Gentoo linux and there, firefox (same version) passes test successfully.
Any ideas?
Last edited by sspphheerraa on 2021-09-12 05:46, edited 1 time in total.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Debian 11, firefox-esr is not supported for online meetings

#2 Post by cds60601 »

in the Firefox address bar, enter the following

Code: Select all

about:config
then hit enter. Next - search for

media.peerconnection.enabled
See if it's set to true
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Gerowen
XMMP/Jabber: gerowen@conversations.im

#3 Post by Gerowen »

I use the regular Firefox release; you can just download the tarball from the website. I checked my Firefox ESR from Debian at that link and it also fails the test, but using the regular Firefox release it passes. The archive Mozilla provides is already compiled so all you have to do is extract it and run the binary executable. The only down-side is that since it's not a Debian package you have to remember to manually check for updates once and a while.

sspphheerraa

#4 Post by sspphheerraa »

cds60601 wrote: 2021-09-06 19:10 in the Firefox address bar, enter the following

about:config
then hit enter. Next - search for

media.peerconnection.enabled
See if it's set to true
Yes, it is "true". But no test pass.

majpooper

#5 Post by majpooper »

FF-esr is a pain
Here is a little script I use to install Firefox on Debian.
This comes from a bigger script written by a member of the Bodhi forum to install the Bodhi DE on Debian 11 but it will install Firefox as well. This is just the Firefox install portion.

# Script Begins Here 
# Alternatively, bullseye repositories contain firefox-esr (extended service release version)
# and current chromium packages. 
# Firefox (current Mozila stable version from debian "unstable" repository) 
echo "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list 
echo "Package: * 
Pin: release a=stable 
Pin-Priority: 100 
Package: * 
Pin: release a=unstable 
Pin-Priority: 10"|sudo tee /etc/apt|sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/debian-unstable-pin     # prevent apt installing from unstable repository 
                                                                                            # unless specified 
apt update 
apt install -y -t unstable firefox	 
apt install -y webext-ublock-origin-firefox                                                 # optional add blocker				 

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by 4D696B65 »

majpooper wrote: 2021-09-07 22:04 FF-esr is a pain
This comes from a bigger script written by a member of the Bodhi forum to install the Bodhi DE on Debian 11 but it will install Firefox as well. This is just the Firefox install portion.

# Script Begins Here 
# Alternatively, bullseye repositories contain firefox-esr (extended service release version)
echo "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list 
Pin-Priority: 10"|sudo tee /etc/apt|sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/debian-unstable-pin     # prevent apt installing from unstable repository 
                                                                                            # unless specified 
apt update 
apt install -y webext-ublock-origin-firefox                                                 # optional add blocker				 
FrankenDebian
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ... nkenDebian

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

majpooper wrote: 2021-09-07 22:04 FF-esr is a pain

# Script Begins Here 
                                                                                            # unless specified 
apt update 
What is the purpose of pinning stable priority at 100? It would be 500 by default and there is no reason to change it.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

pcalvert

#8 Post by pcalvert »

Gerowen wrote: 2021-09-07 03:41 I use the regular Firefox release; you can just download the tarball from the website. I checked my Firefox ESR from Debian at that link and it also fails the test, but using the regular Firefox release it passes. The archive Mozilla provides is already compiled so all you have to do is extract it and run the binary executable. The only down-side is that since it's not a Debian package you have to remember to manually check for updates once and a while.
This is a better way to install the regular Firefox release:
https://sourceforge.net/p/ubuntuzilla/wiki/Main_Page/

That way, you only need to install it once -- there is no need to manually reinstall it every time a new version of Firefox is released.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

Ardouos

#9 Post by Ardouos »

The wiki provides information on installing the current release of Firefox. You download the files and shove it in /home or /opt.
https://wiki.debian.org/Firefox#From_Mozilla_binaries
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

kedaha

#10 Post by kedaha »

firefox-esr not supported for online meetings? I suppose it depends on what is used. It works fine for me with Jitsi Meet. Chromium is an alternative.
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#11 Post by cds60601 »

pcalvert wrote: 2021-09-08 00:23
Gerowen wrote: 2021-09-07 03:41 I use the regular Firefox release; you can just download the tarball from the website. I checked my Firefox ESR from Debian at that link and it also fails the test, but using the regular Firefox release it passes. The archive Mozilla provides is already compiled so all you have to do is extract it and run the binary executable. The only down-side is that since it's not a Debian package you have to remember to manually check for updates once and a while.
This is a better way to install the regular Firefox release:
https://sourceforge.net/p/ubuntuzilla/wiki/Main_Page/

That way, you only need to install it once -- there is no need to manually reinstall it every time a new version of Firefox is released.

Phil
You missed the post above from 4D696B65 ...
FrankenDebian
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Flatpaks and Snaps are alternatives to using an unsupported site/PPA/repo
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

craigevil

#12 Post by craigevil »

Current Firefox is in the Snap-store, no need to be crazy and mix Stable with Sid.
Firefox version 92.0-3
Yes I know a lot of people do not like snaps. But this is easier and safer than mixing releases or using a PPA.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

sspphheerraa

#13 Post by sspphheerraa »

Thanks, but all suggestions are about alternatives. I want to understand why the build from main repo can't pass the test, while the Gentoo build does.
And can it be fixed through about:config ?
Last edited by sspphheerraa on 2021-09-12 05:44, edited 1 time in total.

craigevil

#14 Post by craigevil »

sspphheerraa wrote: 2021-09-08 17:03 Thanks, but all suggestions are about alternatives. I want to understand why the build from main repo can't pass the test, while the official binary from Mozilla does.
And can it be fixed through about:config ?
Download Firefox from Mozilla, run it once then close it. Then navigate to the new Firefox dir and open pref.js and compare it to the firefox-esr.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

pcalvert

#15 Post by pcalvert »

cds60601 wrote: 2021-09-08 16:43 You missed the post above from 4D696B65 ...
FrankenDebian
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
I didn't miss anything. But you did -- you didn't read the info I posted. Click on link and read the page. It's a generic DEB that contains the same binaries that Mozilla provides.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

sspphheerraa

#16 Post by sspphheerraa »

Thanks for suggestions about "about:config". I set the "media.webrtc.hw.h264.enabled" to "true" and the test is passing. By default that option is disabled for some reason (however, in the Mozilla build it is disabled either).

Alberto60

Re: [solved]Debian 11, firefox-esr is not supported for online meetings

#17 Post by Alberto60 »

I have installed Firefox-esr manually on LM 20.2 and this option is to false as default. Not coming from Debian install but from Firefox itself.