Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Don't auto log out

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
alanjg

Don't auto log out

#1 Post by alanjg »

I installed bullseye on a new computer disk. When I bring it up it presents a menu of
User
Password
Filling these out allows me to log in. However, after a while of not typing, it logs me off and shows that menu again! I tried putting
export TMOUT=0
into
~/.bashrc , /root/.bashrc , /etc/bash.bashrc , /etc/profile
None of this had any effect. How do I get bullseye to stop automatically logging me out?
Alan

ticojohn

Re: Don't auto log out

#2 Post by ticojohn »

alanjg wrote: 2021-09-09 20:49 I installed bullseye on a new computer disk. When I bring it up it presents a menu of
User
Password
Filling these out allows me to log in. However, after a while of not typing, it logs me off and shows that menu again! I tried putting
export TMOUT=0
into
~/.bashrc , /root/.bashrc , /etc/bash.bashrc , /etc/profile
None of this had any effect. How do I get bullseye to stop automatically logging me out?
Alan
I'm guessing that it is the power management system that essentially suspends the system, or at least blanks the screen, after a period of non use. I don't know what DE you are using, but on XFCE I can go to the Apps Menu, select Settings >> Power Manager >> System and set the When inactive for (bar) to Never. This will hopefully stop the logout. However, unless you have installed some screensaver you run the risk of getting burn-in on your screen (not real common on today's LCD screens, but possible).

EDIT: Of course the Power Manager putting the system in Suspend, and requiring a login to continue, is a security feature such that if you leave your computer unattended for some period of time then others can't use your computer. So if you turn off that feature, and if there others around that might use your computer, I would suggest installing a screensaver that requires a login to unlock the screen. Just a thought.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.