Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]: polkits for window managers

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

[SOLVED]: polkits for window managers

#1 Post by cds60601 »

When I first started getting into windows managers (i3 was the first) I used policykit-1-gnome. I never really strayed from that after several iterations and now using dwm for better than a year.
My question; If I were to drop the above policy kit in favor of policykit-1, would I be removing any functionality, more to the point, what are the benefits of one over the other?

EDIT: I am assuming (perhapos a bad idea) that the main benefit of using policykit-1-gnome, is the graphical prompting maybe?
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Victor Brand

Re: polkits for window managers

#2 Post by Victor Brand »

I use lxpolkit agent for graphical prompt in my openbox installation. It's lightweight and nice.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by cds60601 »

Victor Brand wrote: 2021-09-12 01:56 I use lxpolkit agent for graphical prompt in my openbox installation. It's lightweight and nice.
Interesting. I assume that it's installed since I see that in my installation. I did remove the gnome kit and all seems to be working as expected.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

Really the password dialog is a waste anyway. The user invoking the action should be enough. Since everything can have a pkla rule it works, or for someone without rights there's no response. So other than leaning over someone to type in a password, what's the use case?

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by cds60601 »

CwF wrote: 2021-09-12 02:40 Really the password dialog is a waste anyway. The user invoking the action should be enough. Since everything can have a pkla rule it works, or for someone without rights there's no response. So other than leaning over someone to type in a password, what's the use case?
This is what I am trying to determine - cleaning up my install of apps that don't need to there.