Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Graphics issue on 5.14

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
sporkinator

Graphics issue on 5.14

#1 Post by sporkinator »

I compiled a low latency (timer=1000hz & preempt=y) 5.14.3 kernel using the experimental packaged 5.14 config (note I experienced the same issue when I used my old 5.10 config and updated it with make olddefconfig). I am using a 6800XT, so I made sure AMDGPU was enabled in the config. I also downloaded all the latest firmware and installed that in my /lib/firmware/.
Now when I select the menuentry for 5.14 I see some text fly by and then within a few seconds, before I even have the opportunity to decrypt LUKS, my monitor goes black and the monitor says its no longer receiving video input and a few seconds later powers off. When I use the nomodeset boot parameter, I am able to into 5.14.3 just fine. This leads me to believe this is a graphics issue. Occasionally I can get a bit farther without nomodeset (I can decrypt LUKS) but seconds later, some colors flash and the monitor stops getting the feed. I also have 5.10.8 installed and can use that fully with no issues. I cannot ssh in to my machine to monitor logs, nor do I have a serial port I can use to debug.
I will attempt to try and debug from qemu, but I have yet to learn how to properly emulate my host system through it yet so I must do that first. In the mean time, what are other ways I can log what happens when I boot without nomodeset? Does anybody care to speculate on what the issue may be? I'll take any and all suggestions :D

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Graphics issue on 5.14

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,

You could start Debian as single user to check if the system is stable.

Then, If it is stable, you could boot the system setting using multi-user.target as default target (not to start the graphical.target).

Then, if it works and it is stable, it is probably related to graphical stack.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Graphics issue on 5.14

#3 Post by sunrat »

It's hard to debug a custom compiled kernel on a forum, especially with no logs or error messages.
If your aim is (timer=1000hz & preempt=y) I suggest you try a Liquorix kernel which has those set by default. I've used it happily for a few years for audio production and also as my daily desktop.
To install, https://liquorix.net/#install . I actually pick my version rather than installing the metapackage as instructed on their site as Nvidia driver occasionally takes a few days/weeks to catch up to the new kernel version. Usually not a problem if not using nvidia driver.

Code: Select all

Currently:
apt list linux-image-5.14*
Listing... Done
linux-image-5.14.0-6.1-liquorix-amd64/stable 5.14-1.1~bullseye amd64
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!