Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

systemd not yielding shell at the end of boot

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mnalli

systemd not yielding shell at the end of boot

#1 Post by mnalli »

Hello everyone,

Since debian 11 I'm noticing something interesting that I think it wasn't happening in debian 10. The computer boots up normally, but when I press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get the first terminal, there's no prompt for username and password. I only see the systemd logs, but no prompt, and whatever key I press is ignored. If I press Ctrl-Alt-F2, everything works normally on the second terminal, so no big deal, but I'm wondering if this should be the proper behavior or not.

I remember that in debian 10 the first terminal was yielding a shell after systemd.

Does it happen the same on your systems?

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: systemd not yielding shell at the end of boot

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

A Wayland thing? Try Ctrl Alt F3-7, Ctrl Alt F2 back to GUI.

mnalli

#3 Post by mnalli »

FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2021-09-28 12:24 A Wayland thing? Try Ctrl Alt F3-7, Ctrl Alt F2 back to GUI.
Actually I'm using KDE plasma, with x11. I can go back to the GUI with Ctrl-Alt-F7. F2 to F6 work well and the consoles work as expected. It's just Ctrl-Alt-F1 that does not prompt to show a shell at all. The only thing that appear is the final part of the systemd logs.

seeker5528

#4 Post by seeker5528 »

I am pretty sure this is how it has been on my systems for several years.

I don't know the why of it and Wayland could factor in somehow, but I would have a tendency to look at one of or a combination of Plymouth and logind being the more likely reason.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Aki »

Hello nmalli,
mnalli wrote: 2021-09-28 12:59 Actually I'm using KDE plasma, with x11. I can go back to the GUI with Ctrl-Alt-F7. F2 to F6 work well and the consoles work as expected. It's just Ctrl-Alt-F1 that does not prompt to show a shell at all. The only thing that appear is the final part of the systemd logs.
In my Debian Bullseye installation with KDE desktop manager and lightdm display manager, the tty1 console is available to normal users.

For example, the Gnome display manager (gdm3) restricts tty1 usage to itself.

You should be able to verify which process locks tty1 (if any) with the following command (given as root):

Code: Select all

lsof | grep /dev/tty
What is your init system: systemd or SysV ?
Last edited by Aki on 2021-10-05 05:59, edited 1 time in total.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

cynwulf

#6 Post by cynwulf »

I notice this behaviour with sddm - it doesn't release tty1.

edit: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=953328