Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unlock Login Keyring popup when starting chromium browsers (Solved)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
IagoGV

Unlock Login Keyring popup when starting chromium browsers (Solved)

#1 Post by IagoGV »

When I start Chromium browsers (at least with Vivaldi or Brave) or other apps like Element I often get the popup Unlock Login Keyring with the message Enter password to unlock your login keyring "The login keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into your computer". As this issue was already commented in other posts (at least here and also here), I tried to follow the solution given, but without success. What can I do?

Specifiying a bit more, I had already this issue with Debian 9 and I have it with Debian 11, always with XFCE as desktop manager and lightdm as display manager and I always introduce my password when start the session (tell me if I can give any other relevant detail to this issue).

As specified in the second of the links above, I have included the lines

Code: Select all

auth optional pam_gnome_keyring.so
session optional pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
in my /etc/pam.d/lightdm file. Indeed, the file is like follows:

#%PAM-1.0

# Block login if they are globally disabled
auth      requisite pam_nologin.so

# Load environment from /etc/environment and ~/.pam_environment
session      required pam_env.so readenv=1
session      required pam_env.so readenv=1 envfile=/etc/default/locale

@include common-auth

auth  optional pam_gnome_keyring.so

@include common-account

# SELinux needs to be the first session rule. This ensures that any
# lingering context has been cleared. Without out this it is possible
# that a module could execute code in the wrong domain.
# When the module is present, "required" would be sufficient (When SELinux
# is disabled, this returns success.)
session  [success=ok ignore=ignore module_unknown=ignore default=bad] pam_selinux.so close

session  required        pam_limits.so
session  required        pam_loginuid.so
@include common-session

# SELinux needs to intervene at login time to ensure that the process
# starts in the proper default security context. Only sessions which are
# intended to run in the user's context should be run after this.
session [success=ok ignore=ignore module_unknown=ignore default=bad] pam_selinux.so open
# When the module is present, "required" would be sufficient (When SELinux
# is disabled, this returns success.)

session optional        pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start

@include common-password
Regarding to the note
Note that the required added lines are at the bottom. If you put them above, after the other "auth" lines, say, then you'll be required to enter your password twice at login, which doesn't give the installation a smooth feel.
I didn't add the lines at the bottom, since there are no more "auth" lines in this file. I do not know if may have influence other "auth" lines in the files /etc/pam.d/lightdm-autologin and /etc/pam.d/lightdm-greeter.

I have never seen the check box "do you want to automatically open the keyring on login?" mentioned in the link with that solution. The current behaviour is:
  • If I press the Cancel button a number of times (not always the same, it may depend on the app), finally it closes, but next time I open the app I get the popup again
  • If I write my session password and Unlock, then the popup does not appear any more the next times I open any of the apps with this behaviour at least for some hours. This is the case even if I shut down the computer and start again, for example as I did yesterday various times. However, today I got again this popup.
Thank you!
Last edited by IagoGV on 2021-10-05 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

craigevil

Re: Unlock Login Keyring popup when starting chromium browsers

#2 Post by craigevil »

Just set the password as a blank. That should take care if it popping up.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Shamak

#3 Post by Shamak »

IagoGV wrote: 2021-10-02 14:28 I have never seen the check box "do you want to automatically open the keyring on login?" mentioned in the link with that solution.
I remember getting something like this popup when using Chromium on xfce. There's a checkbox in xfce. Something like Start Gnome Services at Startup. I don't remember precisely where it is (being on Gnome now) but here's the directions from the ArchWiki.
To use GNOME Keyring, simply tick the checkbox Launch GNOME services on startup in the Advanced tab of Session and Startup in Xfce's settings. This will also disable gpg-agent and ssh-agent.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xfce#SSH_agents

IagoGV

#4 Post by IagoGV »

Thanks @Shamak. I found the check box you tell me and check it (in Applications > Settings > Session and Startup: Advanced tab).
For the moment it seems it is working. Let's wait some days, so if all goes on fine I'll confirm this as a solution.
I mark the post as Solved, as I didn't get anymore the Unlock Login Keyring popup.

IagoGV

Re: Unlock Login Keyring popup when starting chromium browsers (Solved)

#5 Post by IagoGV »

Update

I've just have seen an explanation to disable this weird behaviour on Chromium browsers, or at least in Brave, here. Through

-password-store
it seems it should be possible to configure Brave (and others like Vivaldi, Chromium, etc.?) so it would use a keyring such as Gnome-libsecret instead of gnome-keyring (which is deprecated?)