Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Firefox and Zoom links

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Luquitas_Mayo

Firefox and Zoom links

#1 Post by Luquitas_Mayo »

Hi, I installed debian 11 and I can't get Firefox (78.15.0) to open the Zoom links with the app, it just doesn't do anything.
Chromiun on the other hand if you open them correctly.
Any idea that I should check?
I use KDE
Excuse me but I am new to debian.
Thanks

kedaha

Re: Firefox and Zoom links

#2 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
Try setting "media.webrtc.hw.h264.enabled" to "true" in "about:config", which I remember from this topic last month.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Luquitas_Mayo

#3 Post by Luquitas_Mayo »

I already managed to fix it. I noticed that in chromium it asked to open xdg-open, so I looked for something similar in firefox and found widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal that was false and I changed it to true. There it began to work.
I hope it helps someone else.

kedaha I had seen the post and tried everything it mentions without success. Thanks for the prompt response and interest.

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

I'm pleased to hear that.
I see that "widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal " is set to "false" by default on my firefox-esr too, like the other setting mentioned in the other post.
It practically goes without saying that Zoom, with its proprietary "freemium" licence, has nothing to do with Debian and isn't exactly the first choice— any more than skype or teams— for free software enthusiasts. There are others like, for example jitsi-meet, which, while not yet packaged for Debian, is a free and open-source application with an Apache licence, and works really well; however, one is often, willy-nilly, subject to other peoples' choices ...
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Luquitas_Mayo wrote: 2021-10-14 00:01 I already managed to fix it. I noticed that in chromium it asked to open xdg-open, so I looked for something similar in firefox and found widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal that was false and I changed it to true. There it began to work.
I hope it helps someone else.

kedaha I had seen the post and tried everything it mentions without success. Thanks for the prompt response and interest.
That would've been good to know earlier this year when wife & daughter were doing online classes during lockdown - I had Chrome on the computer (for kids' Flash games) so just used that.

If I ever need Zoom again, I'll remember this. Thanks.

Luquitas_Mayo

#6 Post by Luquitas_Mayo »

kedaha wrote: 2021-10-14 08:44 I'm pleased to hear that.
I see that "widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal " is set to "false" by default on my firefox-esr too, like the other setting mentioned in the other post.
It practically goes without saying that Zoom, with its proprietary "freemium" licence, has nothing to do with Debian and isn't exactly the first choice— any more than skype or teams— for free software enthusiasts. There are others like, for example jitsi-meet, which, while not yet packaged for Debian, is a free and open-source application with an Apache licence, and works really well; however, one is often, willy-nilly, subject to other peoples' choices ...
Yes, I share that perspective, it is also part of the reason why I switched to debian.
Regarding the use of Zoom it is not my choice, I have a pro account assigned from my work. I cannot opt ​​for another option unfortunately.
Regards
FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2021-10-14 10:18
If I ever need Zoom again, I'll remember this. Thanks.
No problem. Greetings