Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Package gnome-language-selector not found in Debian 11

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
avecchiato

Package gnome-language-selector not found in Debian 11

#1 Post by avecchiato »

Hi. I would like to write directly in Chinese in my Debian installation, switching from my standard input method to the Chinese one.
I'm using Debian Bullseye with Mate or Cinnamon.
What I found online refers to a "Language support" module accessible from the "System" or "System settings" menu, but such a module does not appear in my installation.
Then I found that you need to install a package named "language-selector-gnome", or similar, to have the Language support module, but if I type
sudo apt-get install language-selector-gnome
I get
E: Unable to locate package language-selector-gnome
Searching in Synaptic for "language" I get a list of 36 packages, but none of them seems to have anything to do with the function I'm seeking for.

I would be tempted to install the whole Gnome, but I would prefer to understand what's wrong with my installation.

Thank you,

Alberto

kedaha

Re: Package gnome-language-selector not found in Debian 11

#2 Post by kedaha »

Hi.
I'm afraid I don't think I can offer much help in this but, to write in Chinese, have you tried changing the keyboard in the Mate Control Center? There's no "language-selector-gnome" in Debian.
Apart from information in the Debian wiki, you may find this recent post and change-the-language-of-your-debian-system-from-english-to-chinese of interest too. For Chinese language support in Debian 11 for other applications including libreoffice, chromium, firefox-esr and thunderbird, the command given at the end of that guide, which was for Debian 8, would need to be updated to:

Code: Select all

# apt install chromium-l10n thunderbird-l10n-zh-cn thunderbird-l10n-zh-cn firefox-esr-l10n-zh-cn libreoffice-help-zh-cn libreoffice-l10n-zh-cn debian-faq-zh-cn kicad-doc-zh-cn openvanilla-imgeneric-data-zh-cn texlive-lang-chinese
If you use firefox-esr, I'd recommend you create a separate profile so that you can choose either the Chinese or the English profile.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

craigevil

Re: Package gnome-language-selector not found in Debian 11

#3 Post by craigevil »

Install ibus and the language table you need.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list