Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Chromium with wayland native's feature.

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ahmadraniri

Chromium with wayland native's feature.

#1 Post by ahmadraniri »

Is there a plan to bring wayland native support for chromium to debian? yeah I know that "chrome" is already have it, but how about chromium? Thanks.

seeker5528

Re: Chromium with wayland native's feature.

#2 Post by seeker5528 »

According to this post viewtopic.php?p=739899#p739899 the Wayland support should automatically work when $XDG_SESSION_TYPE is set to Wayland.

When you run a Gnome or Plasma wayland session this variable gets set, if you are creating a custom Wayland session you should be setting this variable in your script you use to start the session.

ahmadraniri

#3 Post by ahmadraniri »

seeker5528 wrote: 2021-10-23 15:43 According to this post viewtopic.php?p=739899#p739899 the Wayland support should automatically work when $XDG_SESSION_TYPE is set to Wayland.
That's my comment BTW :) , it just works with qutebtowser (even sometimes qutebtowser are able to run natively without it) not chromium AFAIK. I also always start my session with XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland.

seeker5528

#4 Post by seeker5528 »

The ArchWiki has this. https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/chromium

Native Wayland support

Since version 87, native Wayland support in Chromium can be enabled with the following flags [6]:

Code: Select all

--enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland
See #Making flags persistent for a permanent configuration.

If you switch between X11 and Wayland often, you can edit the Exec line in desktop file to the following:

if [ "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" = "wayland" ]; then /usr/bin/chromium --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland %U ; else /usr/bin/chromium %U ; fi
This will apply wayland flags only when in wayland session, so you can use a single desktop entry which is working for both session types.

Debian uses a script to run chromium that sources files in /etc/chromium.d so you could create a file there and put the flags in it.

EDIT: corrected what should be file contents

export CHROMIUM_FLAGS="$CHROMIUM_FLAGS --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform -ozone-platform=wayland"
Scripting isn't really my thing but based on the ArchWiki snippet, I think it should work to create a file with the contents..

if [ "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" = "wayland" ]; then export CHROMIUM_FLAGS="$CHROMIUM_FLAGS --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform -ozone-platform=wayland" ; fi
Don't know why something like this isn't done already if the support has been there since version 87

'chrome --help' doesn't show the flags and 'chrome://flags' in the browser doesn't show them either, but I don't get an error if I use the flags. I'm not in a wayland session and the browser looks the same.

After editing the above examples I can create a file in /etc/chromium.d with the exports for the flags and if I run chromium from the command line in a plasma wayland session I don't get any errors about the flags.

Looks like ozone is becoming the default upstream for both X11 and wayland, and the non-ozone X11 stuff is being deprecated. I'm running unstable, don't know if there are any significant differences yet between chromium in stable and chromium in unstable relative to the ozone stuff.

ahmadraniri

#5 Post by ahmadraniri »

I tried my self, the flags didn't work. Did you try and works? Thanks.

ahmadraniri

#6 Post by ahmadraniri »

If you tried on plasma wayland, indeed it works, perhaps because plasma wayland has xwayland. I tried on pure wayland session (hikari wm and xwayland disable) , it complaints about x display.

seeker5528

#7 Post by seeker5528 »

Maybe it is a victim of compositor developers being slow agree on and adopt standards.

There is a blog post that indicates ozone will fall back to X11/Xwayland if the protocol that allows tab drag is not supported, maybe that is still the case?

https://blogs.igalia.com/msisov/2020/11 ... n-project/

seeker5528

#8 Post by seeker5528 »

Looks like it does the same in Gnome Wayland session. Additionally it appears the Qterminal runs Wayland native in Plasma Wayland session but uses XWayland in Gnome Wayland session.

Maybe in another 4 or 5 years the compositor developers will have sorted out standards for things that have been standard in window managers for multiple decades.

Looks like this feature is disabled even in Debian Unstable
https://salsa.debian.org/chromium-team/ ... bian/rules

Which I would think in this context means not compiled in, which fits not showing anything about the ozone related flags, but doesn't fit not giving you an error message when you supply the flags at the command line.

ahmadraniri

#9 Post by ahmadraniri »

seeker5528 wrote: 2021-10-27 16:52 Maybe it is a victim of compositor developers being slow agree on and adopt standards.
Don't blame the compositor's developer! they did offer "xwayland" feature" but I disable it. Hope the chromium package maintainer (from debian) will implement native wayland support.

seeker5528

#10 Post by seeker5528 »

I'm not assigning blame to any developer or group of developers, that just happens to be the state of the Wayland landscape at the moment.

The Wayland/Weston stuff at the beginning was not intended to replace anything, it was the pet project of an individual with a limited set of design goals to be a proof of concept that things could be done a different way. I would guess that if it had not been done this way it would not have been done.

To go from that to where we are at now there had to be that wild west phase of development where developers of different compositors figure out their own ways of providing missing features and some of that gets adopted upstream and becomes standard but until they become standard and get adopted into different compositors you end up with things that work in some compositors, but not in others.

In terms of what applications generally need, things seem to be mostly sorted out, in terms of desktop user experience stuff working in a compositor/desktop independent way, things still need some work, things like positioning windows, setting background, controlling volume with a tray application, etc....

I see there is a wlr-xrandr package that provides xrandr type functionality to wlroots based compositors, but the protocol to allow it to work has not been adopted by other compositors. I primarily use LXQT as my desktop and these are the types of things that are holding the LXQT developers back from providing a Wayland version of LXQT.